Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #31
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
It definitely was not a fit for us. I grew up always staying on the monorail and I felt removed from Disney at BC. The room was a huge let down with no balcony and a view of a tiny courtyard. This was over $450.00 a night (Spring Break). The store was small with a super-limited selection of food and gifts (I am comparing it to the numerous shops at the Poly and dedicated quick service restaurant). I am totally in the minority, but Stormalong Bay was not great either. It was so crowded that we had the last two chairs in the back, so far from the massive pool, making it tough to keep an eye on our kids (9 and 7). I hated the feel of sand on the bottom of the pool. Beaches and Cream was so expensive and really not good (except dessert!). So, I know we are in the minority on here, but I will never stay here again. The experience and ambiance of the Poly or GF of even WL plus their convenience to the monorail/boat system just makes those much more "Disney" to us.
I have to disagree with you about Beaches and Cream being expensive. B&C is our traditional first day lunch at BC. We have a nice ts meal (burgers all around) and for the five of us the bill averages between $50 and $60. One of the least expensive ts - even less than what we pay at the Plaza!

Everyone will give you a different opinion on whether it's "worth" it. To us it is but we do spend a lot of time and the resort and love being able to walk to EPCOT and DHS>

When the kids were very little we always stayed at the GF - we spent most of our time at MK then and it was definitely worth it. Now that they are older they spend more time at DHS and we LOVE being able to walk over to EPCOT for dinner.

Lack of a cs never bothered us. Most times we stayed cl so that took care of breakfast. We love Hurricane Hannah's for lunch and my dds really like BC Marketplace too. It is just so easy to walk over to EPCOT or the Boardwalk (think BW Bakery) for cs meals that we never had a problem. When we stay at in a regular non-cl room we just order some breakfast items from garden grocer, book a few ts breakfasts, or grab something like the really good cinnamon rolls from the MK bakery or the bakery in Norway. Now that the French bakery is open at 9 even more options!

For us BC/YC is now home and worth every penny!!!!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #32
jakeybake
DIS Veteran

For us it is. We stay there each August. We aren't the type of family to hit the parks from dusk to dawn. We like to hang by the pool and enjoy where we stay. The BC/YC is perfect for someone who travels like we do.

If you want to enjoy your resort and what down time you may have then definitely stay there!

J
jakeybake is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #33
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTimone View Post
DH and I have talked about staying at the Yatch or Beach club for our upcoming trip in Dec. I started pricing it out.... WOW is all I can say.
We love Epcot and find our way over there almost every night during our trips. This is one of the reason we would love to stay there, so we just could walk back in the evening, really nice stroll. What other great benfits are there to staying at either resorts.

I just don't know if I can justify the cost?
You don't say if DDP or ME is really important to you, but if not, you can stay at Swan or Dolphin most times for half the money, and you get the great location and all those great restaurants!
cjsm&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #34
DeeCeeSW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsm&d View Post
You don't say if DDP or ME is really important to you, but if not, you can stay at Swan or Dolphin most times for half the money, and you get the great location and all those great restaurants!
Keep in mind that there's a daily resort fee at both the Swan or Dolphin (that cannot be waived), and a fee to park in their lot daily (if you drive).

Add to the fact that you'll have to pay for transportation to and from the airport (if you're flying), OR pay for a rental car (if you don't want to rely on the buses from the S & D). In the end, you will likely be close to what you would pay at BC or YC with a 30% code or better.

I've priced it out many times. Even with a teacher discount or better, I would rather stay next door. I have stayed at the Dolphin and did enjoy it, but I paid a ridiculously low amount to stay there through Priceline right after their renovation. Those days (and those kind of discounts) are unfortunately, long gone.

Last edited by DeeCeeSW; 03-09-2013 at 11:43 PM.
DeeCeeSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #35
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

I love the BC/YC, last trip we stopped there for dinner that was it I was in love. I had to stay there. The area is great, boardwalk for entertain on a quiet night. Walk to 2 parks.
But it does carry a big price tag. You just have to decided if its worth it for you.

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #36
suemom2kay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy78 View Post
We are booked at BC for November for our first stay there. We booked our package through AAA and saved 15% off the room. If a better discount comes out AAA will apply it. That discount is better than nothing so if you are a AAA member maybe that might reduce the sticker shock.
There will be much better discounts that become available closer to your travel dates. Keep an eye out yourself in case your AAA TA misses it. Some AAA TA's are great, some not so much.

Also Mousesavers.com is a good resource for WDW disounts.

suemom2kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #37
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=DisneyMomx7;47747049]I have to disagree with you about Beaches and Cream being expensive. B&C is our traditional first day lunch at BC. We have a nice ts meal (burgers all around) and for the five of us the bill averages between $50 and $60. One of the least expensive ts - even less than what we pay at the Plaza!

I guess I meant it was expensive for what we thought was the equivalent to a McDonalds-type burger. Caesar salad was $12 or $13.00.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #38
Couchy
DIS Veteran

Yes it is worth it! The location and Storm Along Bay alone make it worth it to us

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #39
chirogrrl
Planning the next trip...

As many other posters have stated, everyone's view of "worth it" is different. We really love the EPCOT area, to us, it is a perfect location. I have stayed in every EPCOT resort (except the Swan) and it is always worth it to me

No matter where we stay, I consider "our" resort to be the entire area! For example: when we stayed at the YC, we had wonderful coffee from the counter at the Swan, delicious and varied quick service at Picabu in the Dolphin, and great shopping/entertainment on the Boardwalk. Since it's a quick and easy walk, it's like they are all in "your" resort!

So many options...plus, EASY transportation to 2 of the 4 parks. And we love entering EPCOT through the IG. Yep, always worth it to me!
/June'85 Offsite

chirogrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #40
goofy78
…sea monkey has my money… …yes, I'm a natural blue…

Quote:
Originally Posted by suemom2kay

There will be much better discounts that become available closer to your travel dates. Keep an eye out yourself in case your AAA TA misses it. Some AAA TA's are great, some not so much.

Also Mousesavers.com is a good resource for WDW disounts.
Oh I hope you are right! I've been crossing my fingers since I booked. My sister who is also traveling with us got that last pin that came out but unfortunately couldn't be used because of our dates.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #41
Lizziejane
Funny how everyone is different
Then pack twice the cash, and you're good to go!

I haven't read all the replies, but here is my 2 cents worth: make a decision that you will make this trip as cost effective as possible OR decide that you deserve a treat. And take it from there.

You will never be able to justify the cost of the YC - don't even bother trying. It's expensive as heck, plain and simple. But there is nothing wrong in treating yourself a little, once in a while. You don't have to justify the cost to anyone but yourself, and if you feel you've earned the right to pamper yourself a little - do it!!!

Having said that - be prepared for the outcome. You will never, ever, ever want to stay in a value or moderate hotel again! Staying at the YC or BW or BC is AWESOME!!!
January, 2010 - BWV
January, 2014 - BWV - first trip for our DGD who will be 2!
Lizziejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #42
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCeeSW View Post
Keep in mind that there's a daily resort fee at both the Swan or Dolphin (that cannot be waived), and a fee to park in their lot daily (if you drive). You will also not be entitled to free parking at the parks (is it $14 or $15 a day now?).

Add to the fact that you'll have to pay for transportation to and from the airport (if you're flying), and pay for a rental car (if you don't want to rely on the buses from the S & D). In the end, you will likely be close to what you would pay at BC or YC with a 30% code or better.

I've priced it out many times. Even with a teacher discount or better, I would rather stay next door. I have stayed at the Dolphin and did enjoy it, but I paid a ridiculously low amount to stay there through Priceline right after their renovation. Those days (and those kind of discounts) are unfortunately, long gone.
Even with the added fee and either transportation to and from the airport or parking (you only have to pay for one or the other) it is around $200 per night less expensive to stay at S&D.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #43
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
I guess I meant it was expensive for what we thought was the equivalent to a McDonalds-type burger. Caesar salad was $12 or $13.00.
I wanna got to the McDonalds you go to if they serve burgers like the ones at Beaches and Cream!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #44
Maleficent Dragon
Member Since 2004; lost previous login details

It is a beautiful resort and they have a wonderful pool there. We stayed there once and will not go back due to their limited counter service options and the number of resorts the buses stop at. I did love being able to walk to EPCOT.
Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #45
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCeeSW View Post
Keep in mind that there's a daily resort fee at both the Swan or Dolphin (that cannot be waived), and a fee to park in their lot daily (if you drive). You will also not be entitled to free parking at the parks (is it $14 or $15 a day now?).

Add to the fact that you'll have to pay for transportation to and from the airport (if you're flying), and pay for a rental car (if you don't want to rely on the buses from the S & D). In the end, you will likely be close to what you would pay at BC or YC with a 30% code or better.

You do get free parking at the parks. You wouldn't have to pay for both airport transportation and a rental car.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: