Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #31
favDisney
Earning My Ears

I booked through United Cruises. I get miles but no OBC and have to pay $25 booking fee.
favDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #32
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Not all Disney certified TAs offer OBC. When I asked a friend who became certified if her agency offered OBC, she said that I would keep my OBC from the OBB with DCL. She had no idea TAs offer additional OBC...and there was no reason for me to transfer to her agency.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #33
Candleinthewind
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Some rare TA's do charge a cancellation fee (drives me nuts) but I have never heard of a TA charging a planning fee. TA's are paid by the Cruise Line so they really should not be charging the clients for the booking IMO.

MJ
It always cracks me up to read that some people are driven nuts by the idea that a TA should charge a cancellation fee. I work in the design field and we do not begin work without a retainer and we do charge for cancellations and changes.

Why should it be any different for a TA? Sure you can search the DIS or you can search online and if you are comfortable enough doing so, great. If you can find someone willing to give up some of their commission, great too. However many TA's do charge planning fees. Some apply it to the trip and others keep it. Commission is smaller than most people think especially when you start putting it into an hourly context.

The DIS is a great source of information but it is not always correct and information is not the same as knowledge. The DIS maybe represents 5-10% of all Disney cruisers if that. Many come into an agency not know what they want or what is right for their family. Most don't know what they want to do in a port and most want advice and not opinion. No one on the DIS is willing to stand behind their opinions if something goes wrong. A travel professional is.

There are also difference between travel agents who are order takers and those who are true consultants. They give that knowledge and advice you wont find here with many hours of searching. They also will do things like check you in for your SW flight so you can get an A boarding card and not have to use your vacation time sitting at a computer.

Don't disparage those who don't want to give up their commission or who charge fees. Cruise lines pay a TA for everything they do to help (the cruise line) with the booking. Clients pay a TA for everything a TA will do to help the client.
Candleinthewind is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: