Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #856
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmbar View Post
Just my opinion but it sounds like you are getting most of your flights for free, so I wouldn't hesitate to splurge on the EBCI for the return flight home. It is easy to check in on smartphone, but like you said you don't know where you will be at that time. If you have a smart Phone however you should have access through the phone company and not need wifi as you do with say your Ipod touch. Just a thought. Have they raised the EBCI prices or are they still $10? If so I think it is $40 bucks well spent. Good luck and have a blast in Disneyland!

EBCI can be added later, but the later you add them the farther back you get checked in. If you add early you get the earlier A's. Does that make sense?
Yes, free flights so that makes the choice a little easier, sounds like EBCI is the way to go for returning home. And yes, that makes sense about getting EBCI right away, I hadn't thought of that!

I'm so antsy about getting this taken care of. Our last points should post on about the 15th of this month and our flights are in June. Prices are creeping up on some dates. Our dates are flexible, so I'm going to go with the best airfare on dates a week apart.

The other problem is I don't know which airport we'll use. One airport will have a good fare going out, but another will have a good fare coming back. Omaha has more choices of times, but Des Moines is closer and seems to be overall cheaper. But the flight back from SNA gets in late at night to DM. KC is 3 hour drive, but has decent fares and offers nonstops to San Diego, therefore making total travel time about the same, but the kids hate long drives. The times coming home aren't ideal, but doable. There is just no clear winner!
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD12

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #857
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjscheel View Post
So I have two RR accounts. We will probably be able to buy 4 one-way tickets to San Diego plus 1 one-way ticket back home on one account. Then buy the other 3 tickets back home with the other account. Will all eight tickets have a different confirmation number? When I check in, I will be checking in 4 separate times? I don't really like that, but since the kids are 11 and 14, if they are separated from us, they will survive.
Yeah, each person on an award ticket has their own confirm #, and at check-in time it slows things down a bit but you'll be pretty close in numbers, so it shouldn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjscheel View Post
I am thinking about EBCI for the flight home. I can check in at 24 hours while we are at home, but when we are at Disney Land I can't plan on it. We don't have smart phones, well we might by June, and I don't want to count on getting on wifi at the hotel for something that important. We might want to be at the park. I need to research EBCI. Do I buy it at the same time as the tickets or can it be added later?
EBCI has gone up to 12.50, I think. Probably worth it for the way home, though, although we've never used it since we do have smartphones. But, for peace of mind....

Upcoming: 6/10/14-6/25/14 WDW and Vero~~12/20/14-12/27/14 WDW
CarolynK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #858
rdevine10
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them- Walt Disney

1st time flying southwest in quite some time. We are a party of 4. We have one confirmation #. So, when I check us in at 24 hours in advance, we all get checked in together?

Thinking of buying the early boarding for the return trip. We bought both ways last time. Ughh... thats another $50 I would not like to spend! Last time we had no issue with 2 rows, 2 in each row. They were right in front/back of each other. This time I just hope one adult and child sits together. Or 1 adult with the 2 kids and 1 adult alone. Stressing over this.....

Next time I think I need to go back to an airline were I get assigned seats.
Too many childhood trips to count. 9/00- ASMovies, 5/05- Pop, 9/06- Pop, 9/07- Pop, 5/08-AKL & Summer Bay, 9/08- Pop, 4/09-Nick Hotel & Caribe Royal, 4/10-Bonnet Creek, 9/10- Pop, 4/11 Disney Dream Cruise-4night (Nassau & Castaway Cay x 2) & Bonnet Creek, 4/12 Carnival Legend Cruise (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize & Cozumel) & CBR, 4/13- Bonnet Creek 8/13- Daytona Beach, RCCL Enchantment of the Seas (Nassau & Coco Cay) & Art of Animation! 4/2014- Carnival Freedom (Key West, Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman) & Caribe Royal

rdevine10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #859
lynn71092
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdevine10 View Post
1st time flying southwest in quite some time. We are a party of 4. We have one confirmation #. So, when I check us in at 24 hours in advance, we all get checked in together?

Thinking of buying the early boarding for the return trip. We bought both ways last time. Ughh... thats another $50 I would not like to spend! Last time we had no issue with 2 rows, 2 in each row. They were right in front/back of each other. This time I just hope one adult and child sits together. Or 1 adult with the 2 kids and 1 adult alone. Stressing over this.....

We were on the last flight out Tuesday night and my sister paid the extra fee, I did not. She had A25, I had A31. Maybe becuase it was the last flight out it might not have been full.
lynn71092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #860
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdevine10

Yes, when you have one confirmation # it checks you all in at the same time...so you should end up with consecutive #'s or very close to it.
EBCI is a very personal preference. Since they don't limit the number of them they sell, I don't care to purchase them because you can pay all that $ and still end up with a crappy boarding # in the B's and have to wait and board after family boarding. To me if you paid for EBCI, you should AUTOMATICALLY get to board BEFORE family boarding no matter what your assignment is but that's not the case. So it's not something I'd be willing to pay for. But that's just me.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #861
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
Yes, when you have one confirmation # it checks you all in at the same time...so you should end up with consecutive #'s or very close to it.
EBCI is a very personal preference. Since they don't limit the number of them they sell, I don't care to purchase them because you can pay all that $ and still end up with a crappy boarding # in the B's and have to wait and board after family boarding. To me if you paid for EBCI, you should AUTOMATICALLY get to board BEFORE family boarding no matter what your assignment is but that's not the case. So it's not something I'd be willing to pay for. But that's just me.
Oh How I agree with that. Seems to me it should be pretty simple for the dang system to know when the EBCI boarding passes were ended. If it was B12 then Family boarding gets to start after B12. It also would help if the AGENTS at the GATE would not let grandma and aunts and uncles board with the family boarders. Last month we had 25 (I counted) people to 3 kids under four. Most of those people were adults so it was not a family with siblings issue. IT was an obvious abuse that the agent let go. We got on the plane with B3,4 and 5 and couldn't find seats together. I didn't happent to pay for EBCI that time, but I would have been livid if I had paid $30 bucks for that.

To the OP on this, don't stress too much. It really isn't worth it and I say if you can go with an airline for the same amount of money and get assigned seats go for it. Especially if it stresses you. If not maybe evaluate the difference between SWA and the other airlines (including baggage fees) and then pay the EBCI and know you still got a better deal. We always fly SWA because they are the only one who flies direct to MCO from BWI (air tran too) but I have cancelled and changed my flights so many times on SWA that that convenience outweighs the stress of the boarding issue. Everyone is different though. ENJOY your TRIP!!
BLT August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #862
Saralew
Earning My Ears

Does SW have family boarding (we have a 2 and 5 yr old)? How does it work?
Saralew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #863
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralew View Post
Does SW have family boarding (we have a 2 and 5 yr old)? How does it work?
Yes they do. Between boarding passes A and B they will let families board with a child under 4. You would qualify. Now if you want to board in the A boarding passes there is no reason for you not to do this if you check in at 24 hours or if you pay the extra for Early Bird Check IN (EBCI). But as mentioned sometimes you will get a B pass in EBCI or when you Check in 24 hours ahead of time. In this case you could board before all B passes.HTH
BLT August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Old 03-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #864
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
...Last month we had 25 (I counted) people to 3 kids under four. Most of those people were adults so it was not a family with siblings issue. IT was an obvious abuse that the agent let go. We got on the plane with B3,4 and 5 and couldn't find seats together. I didn't happent to pay for EBCI that time, but I would have been livid if I had paid $30 bucks for that...
Wow, my family of 4 once had the last of the B's and still got seats together...what airport was this? Did you complain to anyone?

Old 03-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #865
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
Wow, my family of 4 once had the last of the B's and still got seats together...what airport was this? Did you complain to anyone?
This was out of Baltimore direct to MCO. I have to say that this happens to us only on the MCO trips. The embarrassing thing was that my sister from northern Va was with us and the family obviously abusing this was her neighbor Their family was going down for a reunion with a lot of family members so that is also how I know they were having more than immediate family. We went all the way to the back of the plane and found two seats together but it was ridiculous. The lady behind me in B was pretty ticked too and we were speaking loudly about it, but I didn't complain in deference to my sister's neighbor. It wasn't worth ruining that relationship. Thank goodness they weren't on the return flight with us!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #866
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This was out of Baltimore direct to MCO. I have to say that this happens to us only on the MCO trips. The embarrassing thing was that my sister from northern Va was with us and the family obviously abusing this was her neighbor Their family was going down for a reunion with a lot of family members so that is also how I know they were having more than immediate family. We went all the way to the back of the plane and found two seats together but it was ridiculous. The lady behind me in B was pretty ticked too and we were speaking loudly about it, but I didn't complain in deference to my sister's neighbor. It wasn't worth ruining that relationship. Thank goodness they weren't on the return flight with us!
Oh, yeah, in that case I wouldn't have said anything either! Awkward. Ultimately, it's the fault of the gate agents allowing it to happen!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #867
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

So I usually fly southwest (out of Omaha) and flights this year seem insane! I checked last year and we went for under $400. This year (Sept) it is almost $700! Does anyone have any tips on what I should look for/when to book to get that price down? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #868
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailrabbit View Post
So I usually fly southwest (out of Omaha) and flights this year seem insane! I checked last year and we went for under $400. This year (Sept) it is almost $700! Does anyone have any tips on what I should look for/when to book to get that price down? Thanks in advance!
Do you mean $700 per person? I just looked up SW Omaha to MCO and the prices right now are about $100 each way most days (some weekend days are higher), or just over $200 round trip per person. When did you last check?
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD12

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #869
nictodisney
Mouseketeer

when to find best fares

We are going to Disney from St Louis June 2-8. Tickets are still crazy high. Should I be worried 80 days out or will prices go down closer to the travel dates. Now tickets are around $400 per person! Last time it was $220.
Thanks
nictodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #870
BeccaG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nictodisney View Post
We are going to Disney from St Louis June 2-8. Tickets are still crazy high. Should I be worried 80 days out or will prices go down closer to the travel dates. Now tickets are around $400 per person! Last time it was $220.
Thanks
As a general rule in the airline biz 7 weeks to 12 weeks out from your travel dates provide the best prices. I am not the southwest experts these fine folks are so they would know better.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: