Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Was pleasantly surprised with the Plaza, it's not much more than a counter service so can be a nice break without having to search out seats and carry your trays to the table.

Was unpleasantly surprised with Mama Melrose, will never return there.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
ambgoph
Mouseketeer

Last trip we had Kouzzina booked for our first night. Wasn't sure what to expect, with all of the mixed reviews. It was fantastic!! We ate at many signatures that trip, Kouzzina ranked right at the top among our favorites. It's a must do for the next trip.
ambgoph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Boatwright's. Dinner there so far exceeded my expectations that we made it a point to return on our next vacation. Even knowing what we were getting in to the second time, the restaurant still came up trumps.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: October 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
twe1vestone2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
Was pleasantly surprised with the Plaza, it's not much more than a counter service so can be a nice break without having to search out seats and carry your trays to the table.

Was unpleasantly surprised with Mama Melrose, will never return there.
What was wrong with Mama Melrose? I've always wanted to go but never had a chance to!

And Am, I dunno if u saw my post earlier but I, too, was pleasantly surprised with Kouzzina!
May 2010 (Beach Club Villas)
December 2010 (Animal Kingdom Lodge,Boardwalk Villas)
twe1vestone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #20
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Biergarten

We only booked the dinner at Biergarten because DH is a huge fan of German food and I thought he might enjoy the entertainment. First off, the chef really went out of his way concerning the food allergies we were dealing with so I was super impressed there, but I honestly didn't think I'd find food I would enjoy and I did! It was one of the better meals we have had at Disney and there was plenty for all of us to choose from.

We liked it enough we will be going back this trip as well.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
twe1vestone2
Mouseketeer

Great, hearing a lot of great things about Biergarten! Never went but I think I'm about to book it for next time haha.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

Beirgarten was a nice surprise for us too! Yummy!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #23
Betzee
Mouseketeer

Mama Melrose in DHS...

I had heard not so great things about this place, but we really wanted the Fantasmic package and this was all there was. We went last week and I've got to say it was one of the best meals we had all week!

We have the mussels and fried calamari for starters, both very good. Nice, spicy tomato broth on the mussels and the fried calamari was lightly breaded and nice and crispy.

I had the Penne alla Vodka with shrimp and it was yummy! Nice sauce, but not floating in it, pasta good just right, lots of shrimp. My daughter had the Strip steak and it was cooked perfectly medium rare, and tasty. My husband had the Seafood Arrabbiata with tons of seafood and a nice spicy tomato-y sauce.

Nice atmosphere in the restaurant and a nice break in the middle of the day. We thoroughly enjoyed it and would go back again!

July 1975 -- Trip with Parents
May 1995 -- CBR with my Sister
February 2008 -- First Family Trip at POR
Sept 2009 -- Grand Gathering with Family at CBR
February 2013 -- Family Trip at CSR
Betzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #24
twe1vestone2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betzee View Post
Mama Melrose in DHS...

I had heard not so great things about this place, but we really wanted the Fantasmic package and this was all there was. We went last week and I've got to say it was one of the best meals we had all week!

We have the mussels and fried calamari for starters, both very good. Nice, spicy tomato broth on the mussels and the fried calamari was lightly breaded and nice and crispy.

I had the Penne alla Vodka with shrimp and it was yummy! Nice sauce, but not floating in it, pasta good just right, lots of shrimp. My daughter had the Strip steak and it was cooked perfectly medium rare, and tasty. My husband had the Seafood Arrabbiata with tons of seafood and a nice spicy tomato-y sauce.

Nice atmosphere in the restaurant and a nice break in the middle of the day. We thoroughly enjoyed it and would go back again!

That's great. And its nice to hear they weren't stingy with the shrimp! One time my dad and I went to Tutto Italia and he ordered a clam and pasta dish, and it had 4 clams on it hahaha.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #25
JAG107
Mouseketeer

I was pleasantly surprised by both the Wave and Boma, both were excellent and especially Boma for its soups. DDW loved the Yak and Yeti CS (not really dinner but it's filling and tasty too!)
Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #26
figment814
Mouseketeer

I had no desire to eat at Biergarten, but when I traveled with friends it was top on their list. I ended up loving it. Unfortunately, the next time I went, taking new friends, it was horrible. (This is why I seldom go to buffets...I find them inconsistent.)

I also didn't expect from Marrakesh. Though I've only been once, I hope to go again.

My first trip to Chefs de France was fine, but the second trip was great.

I'm a big believer in giving a restaurant a few tries in order to tell what they are really like. It can be hard when it's a vacation destination, but the only restaurant I've sworn off is Sci Fi. Not because it's bad, but because it's mediocre. i've been 5 times, and don't need to go again.
Previous Trips to WDW: Offsite (1980, 1996, 1997, 2008); SSR (2005, 2008, 2010, 2011); BWV (2009, 2010, 2011,2012); WLV (2010); AKL-Jambo (2011); AKL-Kidani (2011); BLT (2012) Upcoming: 2013 BWV (2) and AKL-Jambo

My WISH Journal
figment814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #27
twe1vestone2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment814 View Post
I had no desire to eat at Biergarten, but when I traveled with friends it was top on their list. I ended up loving it. Unfortunately, the next time I went, taking new friends, it was horrible. (This is why I seldom go to buffets...I find them inconsistent.)

That's exactly what I think. I booked The Crystal Palace just so the wife could get a picture with Piglet, I had been there before...but geeeeeeezz the food that time..bleh! Also felt the same about Boma, just totally inconsistent after the first trip! I have been to 1900 for both breakfast and dinner and I must say that place is VERY consistent! Also Cape May Cafe (Dad loves all the clams), while its not spectacular to me, is consistently good.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #28
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

The Plaza - my dad really wanted a club sandwich and I was in the mood for pizza and wasn't going to eat there but saw the cheeseburger come out and was like wow that looks so good and I am glad I chose to eat there. It's one place we always eat at now.

Earl of Sandwich - I heard about this place here on the board and its like hot sandwiches you can't go wrong. I was shocked and amazed at how much my parents like the place...especially being from Columbus, OH with Tommy's pizza and subs...but our last trip my dad and I are there 3 times. Again another must place for our family.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #29
writersblock42
DIS Veteran

For me it was 50's Prime Time. I heard that the food was terrible and the atmosphere wasn't worth it. Ok, the food still does kind of suck. If my mom really did cook that way, I would have eaten a lot more at friends' houses
But we had so much fun. Our server was great and we just went back and forth and she called my dh the bad seed.
I also really liked Ohana for breakfast. Stitch was great with the character interaction.
On-Site 2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
On-Site 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
writersblock42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #30
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

My daughter and I planned the ADR's for our trip last month. She wanted to go to the Coral Reef. My husband was less than thrilled about it, but I told him just to go with the plan and order steak. Well, it was nicer than I had expected. We had great seats in the second row from the aquarium. Our food was good and the service was very nice. My Mahi Mahi was delicious. I had heard a lot of mixed reviews, so I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was.

The food at 1900 Park Fare: Cinderella's Happily Ever After dinner buffet was better than I expected from the reviews. The food was very good, especially the chicken marsala, which was delicious. It was the first ADR I made because I wanted a character meal with a princess for my granddaughter, and we had a great time.

Next up: WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: