Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
firsttimer2007
DIS Veteran

Rental home...help

I am not sure if I can ask here but hopefully I can...help!!!

We have been to disney many times. We have stayed both on site and off site. We love staying off site.

We always stayed in the same rental home but that home has since been sold and the new owners do not seem to be renting it any longer.

We stayed in a Windsor Palms home with 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, pool, game room and hot tub. -- Here's the kicker -- we paid $799 tax and all for 8 nights.

I went to VRBO and wow! So very over whelming!!! So please help with recommendations.

**We want the best home for the best rate.
**We do not want a condo or town home.
**We do not want to be any farther away then WP. Closer would be nice but I know more expensive.
**We have teenagers so lots of teen stuff would be great. Do not need little kids stuff.

We are going the first week of September.

With those paramerters WHAT IS GOOD? WHAT IS CLOSE? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Ametista
DIS Veteran

That is the start of the off season. But I don't know if you can get a sfh for that rate, maybe a townhome. I would start looking on Homeaway, VRBO, Flipkey, etc and see if there is anything before its booked.

I think Indian Creek rents for less but its not gated, but do you care? Also check Emerald Island. Both are very close to Disney with big houses but are not quite as nice as WP.

Both Homeaway and TripAdvisor allow you to search by subdivision which helps a lot if you know which subdivision you want.
Ametista is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
firsttimer2007
DIS Veteran

Is Davenport close to Disney. All of the VRBO say 10-15 minutes but are those "real" minutes?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Ametista
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer2007 View Post
Is Davenport close to Disney. All of the VRBO say 10-15 minutes but are those "real" minutes?
Davenport is south of where you usually say. Google maps says its 18.7 miles and a 27 minute drive. Did you try Indian Creek and Emerald Island? There are a ton of vacation housing communities, you just have to decide if you want price or proximity (or a townhome).
Ametista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
dougsmom98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer2007 View Post
We have stayed in Davenport many times and depending on the community, you can get to the parks in 15-20 minutes - definitely not 10 minutes though. We have been staying in Grand Reserve and we get to Magic Kingdom in 17-20 minutes. When we stayed in homes on 27 close to the 192 junction. we could get to the parks in as little as 15-17 minutes using the Sherbeth Road short cut off of 192. Since the last time we stayed out that way, there is a new toll road that would probably get you there quicker, but I am not positive.

The first time we stayed in a rental home, we stayed in Windsor Palms. The management company we rented through had upgraded us from a town home to a pool home. From that point on, we were hooked on rental homes, the problems was that couldn't afford more than the price of a town home. So, we started to evaluate homes and realized that if we wanted an awesome home at a reasonable price, we would have to drive a little further. To us, the additional 10 minute drive from Davenport is worth the hundreds of dollars we save. I am willing to give up a few minutes for the spaciousness of a home.

Up next - Off Site @ Grand Reserve April, 2015
1st Trip Dec 2002 - Holiday Inn Nicki Bird, 2nd Trip June 2004 - Fantasy World Villas, 3rd Trip Feb 2006 - Windsor Palms, 4th Trip Feb 2007 - Regal Palms, 5th Trip Feb 2008 - Solana Resort, 6th Trip Feb 2009 - Windwood Bay, 7th Trip Feb 2010 - Grand Reserve, 8th trip Feb 2011 - Grand Reserve, 9th trip Feb 2012 Grand Reserve, 10th trip April 2012 Disney Land - Castle Inn and Suites, 11th trip Feb 2013 Grand Reserve, 12th Trip Feb 2014 Grand Reserve
dougsmom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

We stayed in Emerald Island in February in this house -

http://mydisneyhouses.com/pooh.html

It had 4 bdrms, 3 bathrooms, pool, playroom, was very clean and convenient for us. I usually stay onsite, but this trip was with extended family and we all wanted to be together and the house worked out great.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsmom98

We have stayed in Davenport many times and depending on the community, you can get to the parks in 15-20 minutes - definitely not 10 minutes though. We have been staying in Grand Reserve and we get to Magic Kingdom in 17-20 minutes. When we stayed in homes on 27 close to the 192 junction. we could get to the parks in as little as 15-17 minutes using the Sherbeth Road short cut off of 192. Since the last time we stayed out that way, there is a new toll road that would probably get you there quicker, but I am not positive.
We rented a 4-bedroom Villa in High Grove at the intersection of the 192 and 27 through vrbo. The new toll road gets you to MK very quickly and for the other parks Sherberh is faster. The Villas in High Grove have game rooms with air hockey, billiards and foosball as well as swimming pools.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
kristenandrick
Mouseketeer

We found a great rental by looking on tripadvisor.com. Just search for rental homes in Disney area. We found a great house that sleeps 14 people and has a private pool for $179/night. There were other places that were less but slept fewer people.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

This map helped me finally sort out the neighbourhoods relative to one another. http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/villa-map.php

We are staying in a 4 bd/3 bath in Emerald Island in August. Not sure if he has openings in Sept, but you can have a look. http://www.vrbo.com/285446?icid=IL_favorites_F_T_image

Good luck sorting it out.

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa

PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote