Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
dentalhygmeech
Earning My Ears

Type1 families

This will be our first vacation/cruise (Disney Dream) since our son was diagnosed type 1 diabetic. My son wears an insulin pump. Looking for tips from other type 1 families. How to manage travel, pool or beach time, port excursions, and Walt Disney World.
dentalhygmeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalhygmeech View Post
This will be our first vacation/cruise (Disney Dream) since our son was diagnosed type 1 diabetic. My son wears an insulin pump. Looking for tips from other type 1 families. How to manage travel, pool or beach time, port excursions, and Walt Disney World.
Try posting over here:
http://www.disboards.com/forumdispla...sprune=30&f=20

for more input.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Welcome to the DISBoards! My DD is a type 1 diabetic, she was diagnosed a little over 3 years ago and currently wears a pump. We took our first cruise since her diagnosis last October. We had a great time!

I don't know how long your son has been a diabetic, but cruising was very easy. DCL does not provide carb counts so you have to use other resources, like Calorie King, and guess a lot, but our DD did okay.

We did not ask for a sharps container, but you can get one from your room steward. The Dream has actual refrigerators in your room to keep your insulin in. We just use a FRIO pack to keep her insulin at room temperature, especially when out on excursions.

Make sure you take a lot of extra supplies, insets (I would suggest 1 for every day of your cruise), test strips, extra meter, etc. Also, you'll want to test a little more often, which becomes difficult because it seems that all they want to do is eat.

There are also a lot of healthy choices on the upper deck like fresh fruit.

Otherwise, just relax and have a great time.

We have also done WDW since her diagnosis. Again, testing often is the key. We would also disconnect her tubing on roller coaster type rides.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
dentalhygmeech
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz
Welcome to the DISBoards! My DD is a type 1 diabetic, she was diagnosed a little over 3 years ago and currently wears a pump. We took our first cruise since her diagnosis last October. We had a great time!

I don't know how long your son has been a diabetic, but cruising was very easy. DCL does not provide carb counts so you have to use other resources, like Calorie King, and guess a lot, but our DD did okay.

We did not ask for a sharps container, but you can get one from your room steward. The Dream has actual refrigerators in your room to keep your insulin in. We just use a FRIO pack to keep her insulin at room temperature, especially when out on excursions.

Make sure you take a lot of extra supplies, insets (I would suggest 1 for every day of your cruise), test strips, extra meter, etc. Also, you'll want to test a little more often, which becomes difficult because it seems that all they want to do is eat.

There are also a lot of healthy choices on the upper deck like fresh fruit.

Otherwise, just relax and have a great time.

We have also done WDW since her diagnosis. Again, testing often is the key. We would also disconnect her tubing on roller coaster type rides.
Thank you for the great tips! My son was diagnosed October 2011(age14). Started pumping in August 2012
Wondering about Castaway, what to do with the pump when we swim or snorkel, worried about the pump being stolen.
Also at WDW we have been told not to take the pump on rides especially coasters and free fall rides ie Tower of Terror. Do you just need to disconnect? Or not bring pump on ride? My understanding was that the magnets? On rides will interfere? Or damage the pump itself? I will have to clarify that with Animas I guess

Thank you!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
mickymania
Mouseketeer

I am a Type-1 pump user and each time that I cruise my doctor prescribes some Lantus (a long-acting insulin) that replaces the basal insulin from my pump. When I am back on the ship for meals, I reattach my pump and use it to bolus for my meals; I just leave the basal rate at 0. It has worked great each time. I hope it makes sense. Good luck.
mickymania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
momto2js
DIS Veteran

I was diagnosed at age 9. I agree that having a long acting insulin as a back up plan is important, not so much for the issue of theft, but just in case the pump malfunction or breaks (which does happen). I don't use lantus when I disconnect to swim, but I test every couple of hours or before meals and I bolus to cover the meal and give a correction if needed. A day of "loose" control won't hurt long term, and for me swimming usually is enough to reduce my insulin needs enough I don't have many issues.

There is the option to buy a water proof case to put the pump in and keep it connected. I had these before the advent of the quick release feature.

I struggle at WDW and I have learned that I need to reduce my basil rates quite a bit when we arrive and then I have glucose tablets in my pocket ALL the time and I need them frequently. I just test and correct ALOT when we are touring. I do tend to error on the side of being a little high because I have lots too many days battling low BG's.

Good luck on your trip. Please know that although the illness sucks, all things are possible. I have done this for 25 years and I have 2 healthy children, something thought to be impossible when I was diagnosed.
momto2js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
disneyfaninaz

Quote:
Thank you for the great tips! My son was diagnosed October 2011(age14). Started pumping in August 2012
Wondering about Castaway, what to do with the pump when we swim or snorkel, worried about the pump being stolen.
Also at WDW we have been told not to take the pump on rides especially coasters and free fall rides ie Tower of Terror. Do you just need to disconnect? Or not bring pump on ride? My understanding was that the magnets? On rides will interfere? Or damage the pump itself? I will have to clarify that with Animas I guess

Thank you!
My DD has a Ping too. At WDW and Disneyland, we just disconnect. The worry is insulin being pushed in through the cannula inadvertantly. No harm done to her pump.

When we go to the water, I usually put DD's pump into a small cooler and then connect her for eating and corrections. Otherwise, is there a First Aid station on the island where you can leave it, I can't remember. Usually the extra activity keeps her numbers within range while she is disconnected. Even though the pump is waterproof, I don't let her swim with it on. If you don't already, get some IV Frames or tape to put over the inset while at the beach. It will help keep it in place.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
dentalhygmeech
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickymania
I am a Type-1 pump user and each time that I cruise my doctor prescribes some Lantus (a long-acting insulin) that replaces the basal insulin from my pump. When I am back on the ship for meals, I reattach my pump and use it to bolus for my meals; I just leave the basal rate at 0. It has worked great each time. I hope it makes sense. Good luck.
That's a great idea! Thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
dentalhygmeech
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2js
I was diagnosed at age 9. I agree that having a long acting insulin as a back up plan is important, not so much for the issue of theft, but just in case the pump malfunction or breaks (which does happen). I don't use lantus when I disconnect to swim, but I test every couple of hours or before meals and I bolus to cover the meal and give a correction if needed. A day of "loose" control won't hurt long term, and for me swimming usually is enough to reduce my insulin needs enough I don't have many issues.

There is the option to buy a water proof case to put the pump in and keep it connected. I had these before the advent of the quick release feature.

I struggle at WDW and I have learned that I need to reduce my basil rates quite a bit when we arrive and then I have glucose tablets in my pocket ALL the time and I need them frequently. I just test and correct ALOT when we are touring. I do tend to error on the side of being a little high because I have lots too many days battling low BG's.

Good luck on your trip. Please know that although the illness sucks, all things are possible. I have done this for 25 years and I have 2 healthy children, something thought to be impossible when I was diagnosed.
We plan to bring his pens for injections in case of pump fail. Animas also provides a loaner pump for travelling in case of pump failure. His pump is supposed to be waterproof but we have not tried that yet. At camp in the summer he gives a bolus for basal he will miss then disconnects for a few hrs to swim. My concern is when we go to Castaway and snorkel will we be able to disconnect and leave his pump on the boat while we are in the water, assuming the boat stays where we are. Thank you for your encouragement. Diabetes is awful!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
disneyfaninaz

Quote:
We plan to bring his pens for injections in case of pump fail. Animas also provides a loaner pump for travelling in case of pump failure. His pump is supposed to be waterproof but we have not tried that yet. At camp in the summer he gives a bolus for basal he will miss then disconnects for a few hrs to swim. My concern is when we go to Castaway and snorkel will we be able to disconnect and leave his pump on the boat while we are in the water, assuming the boat stays where we are. Thank you for your encouragement. Diabetes is awful!
Yeah, it pretty much sucks! Don't worry. Everything will work out. We take Lantus in case of pump failure too, but we don't replace the basal from the pump.

Is there a separate snorkel excursion where you are taken somewhere on a boat? I thought people just snorkled in the lagoon.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Couchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am Type I and wear a pump. I just got back from my first cruise. It was very easy to manage. Food and beverage is readily available. Check levels often. Bring lots infusion sets especially if your son likes to swim. Constant water can weaken the stickiness of the set. I always check before hoping in the pool and make sure I check at least every 30 minutes and if needed give myself a little bolus. Have fun

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
dentalhygmeech
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz

Yeah, it pretty much sucks! Don't worry. Everything will work out. We take Lantus in case of pump failure too, but we don't replace the basal from the pump.

Is there a separate snorkel excursion where you are taken somewhere on a boat? I thought people just snorkled in the lagoon.
Yes, sorry it at the Bahamas port we will be snorkelling catamaran sail and reef snorkel, kayaks at Castaway
Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
disneyfaninaz

Quote:
Yes, sorry it at the Bahamas port we will be snorkelling catamaran sail and reef snorkel, kayaks at Castaway
If you are on an excursion, I would contact DCL or the excursion provider and confirm that the boat will stay with the party.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
ammeador2
DIS Veteran

I have been type 1 for 20 years now, I was diagnosed at 13 and I have been on an insulin pump for the last 10 years. Anytime I go to the pool, I wear my medtronic pump down to the pool area and then I take it off and leave it with my beach towels, clothing, i usually put it in our bag and stick the bag under my chair to keep the sun from beating down on it. I have done the same thing on beach excursions and never had any issues. I also make sure that I monitor my blood sugars closely but that is no different than when I am at home.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
ammeador2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I am sorry that you feel diabetes is awful. As I said earlier 20 years and I don't think that it is awful, it's a way of life! I will gladly take diabetes over a heart attack, cancer, or a multitude of other health conditions any day. With diabetes, it is up to us to be in control. I keep my a1c around 5.5 and I have had 2 successful pregnancies. I have no complications, no neuropathy, nephropathy, retinopathy NOTHING! I am pretty darn proud of myself. I do eat some sweets but it's all in moderation. I can say the treatment has came a long way and I assure you that with proper management everything will be okay! Brightest Blessings to you all and enjoy your trip...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: