DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
TheDalys
Mouseketeer

What do these new prices per point mean to the people who bu resale? I was planning on getting 100 more from resale at the end of the year, do you think they will use the ROFR the majority?

I am glad i bought my 150 resale points last year.
TheDalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie2131 View Post
Why would you buy direct if resale saves you so much money.
People who don't know any better do it all the time.

And it's hardly unique to DVC. Look at the rest of the timeshare industry. In many cases, points sold direct for tens-of-thousands can be had for pennies on the resale market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzd View Post
Isn't it true that Disney can restrict a resale member at anytime to their home resort? What is the feeling about whether or not Disney will do this in the future to increase value on their direct sales?
In general, it isn't possible. Each resort is its own "Condominium Association" and the Disney Vacation Club umbrella allows for trading between condo associations. As the system exists today, they could not selectively decide which points/owners/contracts have trading rights and which do not.

One change which MAY be possible would be to alter the 11/7 month booking windows to the detriment of resale buyers. The POS only guarantees a one month booking advantage at one's home resort. Theoretically it seems like they could leave resale owners able to book non-home resorts at the current 7 months while direct buyers could be bumped up to 8 or 9 or 10 months from arrival to book non-Home. Under that framework, all owners would still have the guaranteed 1 month advantage, but direct buyers could book non-Home locations much sooner.

Some have suggested even this would not be permissible (legal) and it could certainly be challenged.

But I don't see how DVC could limit only resale buyers to their Home resort. Such restrictions would have to apply to ALL owners--or at least all owners of a single property.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie2131
Why would you buy direct if resale saves you so much money. Who is ever going to use your points for consierege or adventure. Wouldnt you just sell your points if you wanted to use these products.
Why pay 115 a point when you can pay 50-65 a point.
Why do some people still buy the dining plan? To each his/her own
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
dzd
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for your thoughts on my question.

I'm sure this is off topic but ill ask it anyway. My family will mainly use our points at Disneyland. Since there is only one small villa group there, I understand it is hard to get with it not being your home. If it would be difficult to get into GCL perhaps waiting for space to open, or Disney to build a new DVC villa would be the way to go. It would seem that Disney would be exercising ROFR for any GCL resale to then resale it directly. Thoughts on this situation?
dzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
maburke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzd View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts on my question.

I'm sure this is off topic but ill ask it anyway. My family will mainly use our points at Disneyland. Since there is only one small villa group there, I understand it is hard to get with it not being your home. If it would be difficult to get into GCL perhaps waiting for space to open, or Disney to build a new DVC villa would be the way to go. It would seem that Disney would be exercising ROFR for any GCL resale to then resale it directly. Thoughts on this situation?
If you want to use your points at VGC, you should definitely buy there.

There have been some contracts at VGC ROFR'd lately, but some get through. (There's a thread on that that is WELL worth checking out.) Do you want a particular UY? If you get on the waiting list for retail points before the price increase, I believe they honor the price in place when you went on the list. Then you can keep looking for resale points in the meantime. It must be said, though, that the resale prices at VGC are going up, too -- there have been listings at $115 recently.

Also, one advantage of buying VGC direct is that you can use the points at the other Disneyland Resort hotels if VGC is booked up. You can't do that with resale points.

1972: Contemporary; 1991: Radisson; 1994: OKW; 2001: BC & Disney Wonder; 2002: BWI; 2003: BCV; 2004: OKW; 2005: BWV; 2006: HHI, GCH@DL; 2007: BWV, GCH@DL; 2008: BCV; 2009: AKV-Kidani/VB & THV; 2010: BLT/BCV; 2011: VGC; 2012:OKW; 2013: VGC; 2014: DLP
maburke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: