Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #61
cleophus12
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,149

While cost is not the only deciding factor, it has always been one of the major deciding factors in our choice of cruise line. We cruised with DCL 10 years ago and had a wonderful time. However, since then we have cruised other lines who offer comparable itineraries at a lower cost. We have only been disappointed once and that was in the Med. We chose Costa (!) which is heavily European and we were in an English speaking minority. DD who was 13 at the time went to the Teen club and no one spoke English. All games were played in foreign languages and she never went back. So while cost was a factor in our choice of cruise line on that trip, I was very sorry I did not pay more for a cruise line we felt more comfortable with (which at that time would have been RCCL). Go with what makes you happy. We are cruising with DCL again this year and can't wait!
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #62
kehonuamemano
Mouseketeer
 
kehonuamemano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleophus12 View Post
While cost is not the only deciding factor, it has always been one of the major deciding factors in our choice of cruise line. We cruised with DCL 10 years ago and had a wonderful time. However, since then we have cruised other lines who offer comparable itineraries at a lower cost. We have only been disappointed once and that was in the Med. We chose Costa (!) which is heavily European and we were in an English speaking minority. DD who was 13 at the time went to the Teen club and no one spoke English. All games were played in foreign languages and she never went back. So while cost was a factor in our choice of cruise line on that trip, I was very sorry I did not pay more for a cruise line we felt more comfortable with (which at that time would have been RCCL). Go with what makes you happy. We are cruising with DCL again this year and can't wait!
Very good point. I've heard that most of the passengers on Princess, even the Europe trips, are American so hopefully this won't be an issue.
__________________
kehonuamemano is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #63
Disney Canadian
Mouseketeer
 
Disney Canadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter

And...

Most kids are in daycare without thier parents.

Unless you are going a LONG way away you probably aren't much farther from your kid then you are when you are at work (and considering some commutes you may be closer. I have a friend who has to commute two hours each way)
And all daycares and/or schools won't pick up and go to another country without you. Also, most people would have emergency contacts that could hopefully get to the child if you couldn't. On a cruise ship, it's unlikely that you would have this unless you we're traveling with a large group.

What I posted earlier was from DCL and they advised against it, I didn't say that you couldn't.
__________________
January 1998: Beach Club
May 2006: Port Orleans - Riverside
September 2012: Art of Animation - Nemo Suite
January 2013: Port Orleans - French Quarter
Sept/Oct 2013: AOA-Little Mermaid/Western Caribbean Cruise - Fantasy
February 2014: Pop Century/4 Night to the Bahamas on the Reimagined Magic!

November 2014: Caribbean Beach for DD's 5th Birthday
October 2015: Eastern Caribbean - Fantasy


Last edited by Disney Canadian; 03-08-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Disney Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #64
kehonuamemano
Mouseketeer
 
kehonuamemano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Canadian View Post
And all daycares and/or schools won't pick up and go to another country without you.

What I posted earlier was from DCL not pulled out of thin air.
I think Disney Canadian's post more speaks to the concept of risk.
Risk is a reality of life. Your daycare won't go to another country but if you are far away and a natural disaster strikes you may not be able to reach your child. I think as a parent I worry about everything all the time and I do my best to minimize the risk. But at some point you have to live and have faith everything is going to be ok.

And frankly, if DCL did not think it was safe they would not allow you to leave your child on the ship.

And if there was rioting in Greece for example when we are in port, I think it would be 1000 safer for my child to be onboard than with us on an excursion.
__________________
kehonuamemano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #65
Disney Canadian
Mouseketeer
 
Disney Canadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehonuamemano View Post
I think Disney Canadian's post more speaks to the concept of risk.
Risk is a reality of life. Your daycare won't go to another country but if you are far away and a natural disaster strikes you may not be able to reach your child. I think as a parent I worry about everything all the time and I do my best to minimize the risk. But at some point you have to live and have faith everything is going to be ok.

And frankly, if DCL did not think it was safe they would not allow you to leave your child on the ship.

And if there was rioting in Greece for example when we are in port, I think it would be 1000 safer for my child to be onboard than with us on an excursion.
Quote from my travel agent...

"Disney requests that you do not leave the ship, leaving children in the kids clubs, as if there is an emergency they need to be able to have a parent/guardian available immediately."
__________________
January 1998: Beach Club
May 2006: Port Orleans - Riverside
September 2012: Art of Animation - Nemo Suite
January 2013: Port Orleans - French Quarter
Sept/Oct 2013: AOA-Little Mermaid/Western Caribbean Cruise - Fantasy
February 2014: Pop Century/4 Night to the Bahamas on the Reimagined Magic!

November 2014: Caribbean Beach for DD's 5th Birthday
October 2015: Eastern Caribbean - Fantasy

Disney Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #66
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran
 
RedxPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: 1 hr to WDW :: 30 mins to PC
Posts: 537

We are considering Princess for a southern Caribbean cruise out of FT Lauderdale. Partly because of the DCL price tag + airfare to San Juan, and partly because my family would rather cruise a more 'normal' cruise line. I have researched their cruise line quite a bit and feel it will be a good fit for our family and I like the ports they go to. I, like you, am more interested in new and exciting ports. They are a North American marketed cruise line, so English will be spoken ship wide. There will be less kids on board, but that could also be a +, because the kids get more personalized attention.

I would go with Princess to try them out. Like you said, the savings can help pay for a new DCL cruise! Or a second Princess cruise if you like them that much.
__________________
Kristina - CM Summer of '01 - Main Street, MK || Marc || Sofie (1.5)

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #67
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Canadian
Quote from my travel agent...

"Disney requests that you do not leave the ship, leaving children in the kids clubs, as if there is an emergency they need to be able to have a parent/guardian available immediately."
Is that on the website? Just curious but how does the travel agent know this? I would think it have to be posted officially somewhere and not just said by a booking agent CM.
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #68
kehonuamemano
Mouseketeer
 
kehonuamemano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedxPanda View Post
We are considering Princess for a southern Caribbean cruise out of FT Lauderdale. Partly because of the DCL price tag + airfare to San Juan, and partly because my family would rather cruise a more 'normal' cruise line. I have researched their cruise line quite a bit and feel it will be a good fit for our family and I like the ports they go to. I, like you, am more interested in new and exciting ports. They are a North American marketed cruise line, so English will be spoken ship wide. There will be less kids on board, but that could also be a +, because the kids get more personalized attention.

I would go with Princess to try them out. Like you said, the savings can help pay for a new DCL cruise! Or a second Princess cruise if you like them that much.
Thanks a bunch! Right now we are leaning towards Princess but reserving our final decision by April 27th or if DCL prices do indeed go up before then or down (hopefully).
__________________
kehonuamemano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #69
disfreaks
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Washington
Posts: 283

We took our first Disney Cruise in 2007 and our kids loved it. So much so, we have done 3 others, and the med cruise in July will be our 5th. We have also sailed on Princess to Alaska when the kids were 10 and 13, and RCI when they were 16 and 13. Our Princess cruise was during the summer and there were so many kids on board, they moved their age group activities to a different location. If the kids didn't want to do the planned activity, they couldn't really stay there because there was nothing else to do. We didn't want to pay for them to go to the clubs at 9 pm, so they came back to the room with us. They didn't get to spend any time in the clubs and we were kind of disappointed by that. RCI was somewhat better, however, the kids had to share the sofa bed and they didn't fit on it very well. Both are very tall and if I got up to go to the bathroom I hit someone! RCI had similar policies. You could go to the club to do the planned activitiy, but if not enough kids showed up, they cancelled it. They had beautiful kids spaces there too! (It may be different in the younger clubs, I don't have experience there.) There really wasn't the chance to just hang out in the clubs for them. I looked in to switching the med cruise to RCI to save money, but without the pull down bed, we needed 2 cabins and that didn't save us much. I could have called to see what a cabin with a pull down bed cost, but when I spoke to the family about it, they didn't want to go if we couldn't go on Disney. That is our family and every family is different. That is why there are so many different options, so you can choose what is right for you! I wish you the best and you will have fun no matter what you choose! Any cruise in my opinion is better than a week at home! Good luck with your decision...not sure I helped much, but that is my 2 cents worth!
__________________
Disney Magic Western Caribbean 3/07
Golden Princess Alaska Inside Passage 6/07
Disney Magic EB Panama Canal 8/08-9/08
Freedom of the Seas 7/10
Disney Dream 7/11, Disney Wonder 12/11
Disney Magic 7/13 Mediterranean and Greece
disfreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #70
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,328

OP--Since you mentioned Aulani, I thought I'd put my 2 cents in (I'm also an owner).

With the $4000 you'd save w/Princess, you can go to Aulani. It's expensive, but renting DVC points would save you a ton and for $4000 that's like at least 5 nights in a 2 bedroom just before Christmas time. Heck, you could rent a studio for 6 nights for like $1500 or so.

We also did this debate (but it was NCL Epic v. DCL Med) and DCL won out since the price difference was small, about $500. If it had been $4000, I would have chosen the non-DCL option.

Having now planned out our Med excursions, the reality is we're only on the ship to eat/sleep and the 2 sea days (1 of which I'll be doing laundry/packing/cleaning). If my daughter were a sophisticated 7/8 YO like yours, I would definitely pick the cheaper line since she is old enough to understand why Mickey isn't showing up for pictures. Right now my DD is only 4 and she would not really understand why we're on a different ship.

Good luck w/your decision! And if you choose Princess, have fun: (1) with your new experience; and (2) on your future Aulani trip See how that's a win/win? Lol.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #71
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran
 
ilovetexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Suburban Atlanta
Posts: 1,317

I wish I had seen this sooner, I believe you have to make your decision by tomorrow. I haven't sailed Princess but I would choose them for several reasons:

1. Price. $4k is a lot of money and will pay for all your shore excursions and incidentals.
2. You aren't going to be on the ship that much, anyway.
3. You said your daughter didn't like the kids clubs on Fantasy much. My two cents, give her a different option. I'm on Cruise Critic a lot and while I haven't read anything specific to Princess that I recall, a LOT of people indicate their kids prefer kids clubs on HAL and Celebrity because there aren't many kids there and they get more attention and get to do better "stuff".
4. Itinerary. Better on Princess by a mile!

Here is some reading material for you:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2

Also, if you still have some time, go to Cruise Critic and sign in. Ask a very specific question on the Princess board as you did here. See what types of responses you get. I saw someone do it on the Celebrity board recently and people jumped on it and gave them a lot of answers. Good luck!
__________________
ilovetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #72
kehonuamemano
Mouseketeer
 
kehonuamemano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfreaks View Post
We took our first Disney Cruise in 2007 and our kids loved it. So much so, we have done 3 others, and the med cruise in July will be our 5th. We have also sailed on Princess to Alaska when the kids were 10 and 13, and RCI when they were 16 and 13. Our Princess cruise was during the summer and there were so many kids on board, they moved their age group activities to a different location. If the kids didn't want to do the planned activity, they couldn't really stay there because there was nothing else to do. We didn't want to pay for them to go to the clubs at 9 pm, so they came back to the room with us. They didn't get to spend any time in the clubs and we were kind of disappointed by that. RCI was somewhat better, however, the kids had to share the sofa bed and they didn't fit on it very well. Both are very tall and if I got up to go to the bathroom I hit someone! RCI had similar policies. You could go to the club to do the planned activitiy, but if not enough kids showed up, they cancelled it. They had beautiful kids spaces there too! (It may be different in the younger clubs, I don't have experience there.) There really wasn't the chance to just hang out in the clubs for them. I looked in to switching the med cruise to RCI to save money, but without the pull down bed, we needed 2 cabins and that didn't save us much. I could have called to see what a cabin with a pull down bed cost, but when I spoke to the family about it, they didn't want to go if we couldn't go on Disney. That is our family and every family is different. That is why there are so many different options, so you can choose what is right for you! I wish you the best and you will have fun no matter what you choose! Any cruise in my opinion is better than a week at home! Good luck with your decision...not sure I helped much, but that is my 2 cents worth!
Great information! The kids club stuff seems to dependent on the age of the kids, the sailing, and the number of kids on that sailing. We would hope that a July cruise on Princess would have a fair amount of kids in her age group, our daughter is 6. But I think it's a risk.
I hope you whole family has an awesome time on your July Disney cruise!
__________________
kehonuamemano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #73
kehonuamemano
Mouseketeer
 
kehonuamemano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
OP--Since you mentioned Aulani, I thought I'd put my 2 cents in (I'm also an owner).

With the $4000 you'd save w/Princess, you can go to Aulani. It's expensive, but renting DVC points would save you a ton and for $4000 that's like at least 5 nights in a 2 bedroom just before Christmas time. Heck, you could rent a studio for 6 nights for like $1500 or so.

We also did this debate (but it was NCL Epic v. DCL Med) and DCL won out since the price difference was small, about $500. If it had been $4000, I would have chosen the non-DCL option.

Having now planned out our Med excursions, the reality is we're only on the ship to eat/sleep and the 2 sea days (1 of which I'll be doing laundry/packing/cleaning). If my daughter were a sophisticated 7/8 YO like yours, I would definitely pick the cheaper line since she is old enough to understand why Mickey isn't showing up for pictures. Right now my DD is only 4 and she would not really understand why we're on a different ship.

Good luck w/your decision! And if you choose Princess, have fun: (1) with your new experience; and (2) on your future Aulani trip See how that's a win/win? Lol.
Thank you for sharing your story. We did decide to book the Princess cruise, and moved our DCL cruise with OBD and balance to Cali Coast/Alaska B2B in 2014. We will keep checking DCL from now until April 27th, our cancelation date for Princess, to see if they release a discount that we qualify for.
If not, it sounds like we are going to Princess.
__________________
kehonuamemano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #74
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,765

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehonuamemano

Thank you for sharing your story. We did decide to book the Princess cruise, and moved our DCL cruise with OBD and balance to Cali Coast/Alaska B2B in 2014. We will keep checking DCL from now until April 27th, our cancelation date for Princess, to see if they release a discount that we qualify for.
If not, it sounds like we are going to Princess.
Have a great trip! Can you come back here and give us a detailed review of the activities there are outside of the clubs for families, what you thought of the pools, and the kids clubs? I don't usually tread trip reports. They are usually too long when I'm only interested in finding out about this one thing (pretty much the only thing I care about ...I'm not that concerned about things that have to do with adult stuff, food, or me, etc.)). Thanks!
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #75
kehonuamemano
Mouseketeer
 
kehonuamemano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 203

No problem. If we do end up on Princess I will definitely come back and let you know how it went.
__________________
kehonuamemano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.