Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
evedein
Mouseketeer

gluten free at Kona Cafe

Is a gluten free breakfast available at the Kona Cafe? If so, what choices are available? I'm traveling with a Gluten free adult friend & don't want to steer her wrong.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
itradehilton
Mouseketeer

Yes, my DS loved the mickey waffles. We had a reservation right when they opened and the chef made my DH a GF holendaise (sp) sauce for his eggs. It was a great experience.

me DH: DS #1 DS #2
itradehilton is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #18
elmo2200
cruisey moms choose DIS!!

Thank you itradehilton!!! I really enjoyed your reviews!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
NOLAdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Could I please have that PDF also please? I had a really unhelpful CM who told me to just ask when I got there about GF options..

angelaoxford77@yahoo.com

Thank you!
November 2008 - Caribbean Beach
November 2010 - Caribbean Beach
November 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
Halloween 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2014 - First Deluxe Stay - Beach Club!
NOLAdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #20
itradehilton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo2200
Thank you itradehilton!!! I really enjoyed your reviews!
Glad you enjoyed them we are headed back to Disneyworld this June. No dinning plan this time but I have one TS reservation each day. We are going to to try the TIW card this trip.

me DH: DS #1 DS #2
itradehilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #21
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAdisneymom View Post
Could I please have that PDF also please? I had a really unhelpful CM who told me to just ask when I got there about GF options..

angelaoxford77@yahoo.com

Thank you!
Has anyone sent you the PDF yet, if not I can, just let me know

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #22
NOLAdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
Has anyone sent you the PDF yet, if not I can, just let me know

Not yet! Thank you!!
November 2008 - Caribbean Beach
November 2010 - Caribbean Beach
November 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
Halloween 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2014 - First Deluxe Stay - Beach Club!
NOLAdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAdisneymom

Not yet! Thank you!!
It's on it's way. Let me know if you have any problems with the attachment.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
elmo2200
cruisey moms choose DIS!!

We are just back from our Disney cruise that included one day at Walt Disney World. It was amazing!!! We only had one meal at WDW but it was a good one!! I am very impressed with Be Our Guest. Lunch was reasonably priced and the atmosphere was wonderful. It is a must see especially for those with food allergies. They have a computer ordering system that will note your allergies and only show you the menu choices that are safe for you. I chose braised pork with green beans and mashed potatoes and Lemon raspberry cream puff that was GF and no sugar added. It was so easy and the food was good! I highly recommend it!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #25
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo2200 View Post
We are just back from our Disney cruise that included one day at Walt Disney World. It was amazing!!! We only had one meal at WDW but it was a good one!! I am very impressed with Be Our Guest. Lunch was reasonably priced and the atmosphere was wonderful. It is a must see especially for those with food allergies. They have a computer ordering system that will note your allergies and only show you the menu choices that are safe for you. I chose braised pork with green beans and mashed potatoes and Lemon raspberry cream puff that was GF and no sugar added. It was so easy and the food was good! I highly recommend it!!!
I agree.. had tuna nicole ( or something like that) and the Lemon Puff for desert..wonderful! best experience ever!..definately going back..

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #26
Chikabowa
DIS Veteran

Got back from Disneyland... and I followed this thread before I left.
I don't have any allergies, but do eat a very specific diet that excludes: corn (or corn-based products), soy, all dairy, legumes (including peanuts and peanut products), all grains and gluten, sugar, and specific preservatives (including MSG). Since my system is very clean any kind inclusion typically throws me for a loop and makes me fairly sick.

No matter how specific I was at restaurants while away, nothing ever came out perfect. In some ways, I was expecting that to happen, so I was completely prepared to feel sick some of the times. And since I don't have an allergy, I can't complain too much, but I can only imagine how horrible this experience would have been if I was actually allergic. It was nearly impossible to find foods that met the criteria, vegetables were a slim commodity in ANY meal, fresh fruit was plentiful (typically at home I limit fruit to 1-2 servings per day... but while away I had to make-do).

I noticed, at least at Disneyland, that gluten-free was actually pretty easy to source out. And the same holds true for dairy-free meals; easy to find.
The problem came in when you asked for multitudes of things... so if you are both gluten and dairy sensitive? Too bad.
I never expected to find sugar-free, soy-free, and/or corn-free meals. That simply was impossible and I had to make decisions where I could.

We at Goofey's Kitchen, Carnation Cafe, Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., Mollie's Kitchen (Sheraton Park Hotel), Plaza Inn, Naples, Tortilla Joe's, and the Pacific Warf. Surprisingly... the best meals that fit into my plan were counter service at Pacific Warf and the turkey leg cart! We found the flexibility at table service to be lacking tremendously.

Chikabowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #27
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikabowa View Post
Got back from Disneyland... and I followed this thread before I left.
I don't have any allergies, but do eat a very specific diet that excludes: corn (or corn-based products), soy, all dairy, legumes (including peanuts and peanut products), all grains and gluten, sugar, and specific preservatives (including MSG). Since my system is very clean any kind inclusion typically throws me for a loop and makes me fairly sick.

No matter how specific I was at restaurants while away, nothing ever came out perfect. In some ways, I was expecting that to happen, so I was completely prepared to feel sick some of the times. And since I don't have an allergy, I can't complain too much, but I can only imagine how horrible this experience would have been if I was actually allergic. It was nearly impossible to find foods that met the criteria, vegetables were a slim commodity in ANY meal, fresh fruit was plentiful (typically at home I limit fruit to 1-2 servings per day... but while away I had to make-do).

I noticed, at least at Disneyland, that gluten-free was actually pretty easy to source out. And the same holds true for dairy-free meals; easy to find.
The problem came in when you asked for multitudes of things... so if you are both gluten and dairy sensitive? Too bad.
I never expected to find sugar-free, soy-free, and/or corn-free meals. That simply was impossible and I had to make decisions where I could.

We at Goofey's Kitchen, Carnation Cafe, Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., Mollie's Kitchen (Sheraton Park Hotel), Plaza Inn, Naples, Tortilla Joe's, and the Pacific Warf. Surprisingly... the best meals that fit into my plan were counter service at Pacific Warf and the turkey leg cart! We found the flexibility at table service to be lacking tremendously.
This is exactly what has me nervous about our DL trip we're planning for this summer. I figure I'll plan the DL days of our trip no different than the other days of our CA trip (mostly LA but probably a few days on San Diego as well) with the expectation that other than TS restaurants we'll need to brown bag most of our food (I figure they can at least pull off a steak with steamed veggies at a TS restaurant if nothing else is available). A couple years ago we were planning a DL trip and ended up scrapping it because they just don't do things the way WDW does when it comes to allergies and I was so frustrated with the lack of information (I finally got somebody on the phone who told me they couldn't give me any information until I got to a park) and the reviews that weren't nearly as good as WDW. We have 3 people with laundry lists of allergies, not all of which are common ones. At least now I know how to set my expectations.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
Chikabowa
DIS Veteran

Honestly I thought the same thing... Getting a Steak and veggies would be doable. It was nearly impossible! Everything was slathered with some sort of sauce or additive. Even talking to the chef didn't help.

Sorry that I can't be more reassuring. But I figure you'd prefer honesty... The citrus chicken at pacific warf was good and compliant!

Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #29
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikabowa View Post
Honestly I thought the same thing... Getting a Steak and veggies would be doable. It was nearly impossible! Everything was slathered with some sort of sauce or additive. Even talking to the chef didn't help.

Sorry that I can't be more reassuring. But I figure you'd prefer honesty... The citrus chicken at pacific warf was good and compliant!
The steaks at the TS restaurants were cooked in the sauce? They didn't just grill them and put the sauce on at the end which would allow for just leaving the sauce off? WOW! I really need to look over menus to figure out if there's anything at each restaurant which would be safe.

Citrus anything wouldn't work for my kids since neither can have any citrus fruit. Sigh....

Yes I do prefer honesty. Knowing what to expect is EXTREMELY important to me so thank you! I appreciate learning about your first hand experiences.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #30
Chikabowa
DIS Veteran

Yup. At both Goofy's Kitchen and the BBQ the ribs were slathered. At GK I asked for them without sauce and they told me the ribs come with sauce and they are unable to remove it. Although there they were able to provide a piece of salmon without the cream sauce.

At the BBQ they could do ribs without sauce but it took them 45 minutes to bring them to the table. By that point the family had all eaten and was ready to leave.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: