DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #376
LPnerd
Mouseketeer

a good place to eat.

wanted to tell you. there is a new eatery over behind Bilo, off Mathews, there is several places back there. One is Oreily's... a nice pub. there is a Asian resterant too, and then there is this litte hole in the wall of a sports bar called Street Meat... or maybe meet street??? I think its street meat, like the carts on the streets of every big city across the nation.
ANYWAY, great food AND RESONABLE! i AM IN NO WAY CONNECTED WITH THIS PLACE EXCEPT i EAT THERE LIKE ONCE A WEEK! SINCE WE FOUND IT.My HUSBAND HAD A FEW STICHES, WE LEFT THE ER LATE AND HUNGRY AND THE STAFF TOLD US ABOUT THIS PLACE...
anyway here's the website and menu, not a bad item on here and I have had many personally! (oh nuts, sorry for the cap lock)

http://www.hhimarketing.com/streetmeet/
LPnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #377
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
... The Harris Teeter is right outside my plantations gate. I'd g hungry before I'd shop there. They do not treat their employees well, and there stuff is WAY overpriced! I either shop Pig, Bi lo, ( on Mathews at the round about) or Publx and if you've never had Publix fried chicken, you NEED to try it! LOL
We'll just have to agree to disagree about the PIG then. Harris Teeter has MUCH better pricing on seafood and meats as well as MUCH better quality. In our experience, they are similar to Fresh Market in quality, but much cheaper especially if you are a member of their eVIC club (for what we enjoy, they are far less costly than the PIG where we also have a club card).

Bi-Lo is a great store - very clean and organized with wide aisles and prices are OK, but still not as good a selection for seafood and meat in our experience. Publix, IMO, is similar to Piggly in quality and cleanliness. Maybe its just the times we've been there.

We go to HT weekly for our grocery needs and make the run to Piggly when we are short on some non-essential item (eggs, juice, milk, beer - well, beer is often an essential, but their beer pricing is consistently good at PIG). HT has a much better wine selection and often offers a 20% discount on 12 bottle lots. We also get an additional 5% off of grocery items on Thursdays just for being old!

Sounds as though you're in Sea Pines!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #378
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
there is a PIG in bluffton right off 278 as well I think, also a publix and a target. not sure that target is grocery... the piggly store in Bluffton is MUCH bigger and newer, and on Sunday, before 11am I'd say do what you feel like doing, as long as you're at the store early enough, OR ya know, we buy one of those cheap coolers too sometimes and leave at the room when we leave.
'the best, rofl. In fact there is a publix in orlando that offers it and I use that when we go to Disney there!
when on vacation, I know I'm going to have to go shopping at least once, I'd rather it be at the outlet mall than the darn grocery store!
Sounds like they won't hold your food like at WDW while you wait for your room to be ready at HHI? I guess we will have to look into buying a cheap cooler for our perishable food.

I love Target, that would be awesome if they sold groceries at the one in Bluffton.

mickeyplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #379
wheniwasyoung
Lov'in Every Minute of It!

Quote WebMasterDoc: "Harris Teeter has MUCH better pricing on seafood and meats as well as MUCH better quality. In our experience, they are similar to Fresh Market in quality, but much cheaper especially if you are a member of their eVIC club (for what we enjoy, they are far less costly than the PIG where we also have a club card)."

Just got back from here. Very nice. Totally agree.

By the way, Doc, the girls in the shop said to say "HI". Especially Dottie, she asked when your next visit is?

Last edited by wheniwasyoung; 03-06-2013 at 01:40 PM.
wheniwasyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #380
barrymommy
Earning My Ears

Bike to the beach?

We will be headed down for the first time March 29-April 5th. I wondered if we rented bikes for the week, if we could bike to the beach?

Also, anyone done the dolphin tour with Captain Scott? Even with DVC discount, it is still $36 per person..no cheaper price for kids. Worth it?

One last question.. my oldest turns 13 while we are there. Any MUST do restaurants?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #381
wheniwasyoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymommy View Post
We will be headed down for the first time March 29-April 5th. I wondered if we rented bikes for the week, if we could bike to the beach?

Also, anyone done the dolphin tour with Captain Scott? Even with DVC discount, it is still $36 per person..no cheaper price for kids. Worth it?

One last question.. my oldest turns 13 while we are there. Any MUST do restaurants?

Thanks!
The only thing I can comment on is the biking to the beach. They say it's about 1.4 miles, I think it is closer to 2 but it's not a bad ride. I think one of the best things about the Island is the biking paths. We have a 14 year old and a 17 year old with us right now and I have never worried about them riding to the beach. When you get to the only major road, there is a "tunnel" that you use so the whole ride is comfortable and safe.
We rented bikes and will do it again. Well worth the $20 a week per bike.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #382
udflyer00
Mouseketeer

We've only been there 1 time, but there were a lot of people biking all over the place. I'd have to agree that I don't think it would be too bad of a bike ride to get to the beach if you just shoot straight across the main road and head towards the Beachhouse. When our 2 littlest get bigger I wouldn't mind renting some bikes there. As mentioned there are many paved paths for the bikers.
udflyer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #383
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheniwasyoung View Post
The only thing I can comment on is the biking to the beach. They say it's about 1.4 miles, I think it is closer to 2 but it's not a bad ride. I think one of the best things about the Island is the biking paths. We have a 14 year old and a 17 year old with us right now and I have never worried about them riding to the beach. When you get to the only major road, there is a "tunnel" that you use so the whole ride is comfortable and safe.
We rented bikes and will do it again. Well worth the $20 a week per bike.

Hope this helps.
Did you rent directly through Disney or another company at that price?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #384
CoffeeCup
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymommy View Post

Thanks!
We did the dolphin tour last year, and it was well worth the price. Captain Scott seemed to know the dolphin personally and gave us a lot of information about them. We saw many dolphins, and some came up very near our boat. We had done larger dolphin tours, but this one was great since it was a smaller boat with only DH, me, and a very nice family with 2 kids about middle-school age. The captain was willing to answer all of the kids' questions and also told us a lot about the area, it's history, etc.

We enjoy Skull Creek Boathouse, and I think kids would love it. You can sit outside by the dock where boats come in for an authentic beach atmosphere. If you go for the Early Bird Special, prices are very reasonable for really good seafood.
CoffeeCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #385
wheniwasyoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyplanner View Post
Did you rent directly through Disney or another company at that price?
We went through "The Bike Doctor"

http://bikedoctorhhi.com/bike-rentals/

However, Disney has bikes on site that they also rent but I'm afraid I don't know what they charge.

All we did was call ahead of time and give them a credit card number, our desired bike sizes and our check in date. When we arrived the bikes were already at the resort. They have you determine the combination to the bike lock that comes with the bikes so everything is all set when you get there. It was fairly effortless and we had no issues. The total charge for four bikes was $84.80.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #386
wheniwasyoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
We enjoy Skull Creek Boathouse, and I think kids would love it. You can sit outside by the dock where boats come in for an authentic beach atmosphere. If you go for the Early Bird Special, prices are very reasonable for really good seafood.
Agreed! We totally enjoyed our lunch at this place.
One of my favorite fresh seafood meals is a plate of "dirty oyster" which most restaurants do not make or have even heard of. I asked the waitress if she could talk the kitchen into making these for me and after I showed her the recipe, they did. They weren't perfect but they came very close and they never charged me extra which I fully expected.
It certainly isn't a fancy or spectacular place but it is worth the 10 minute drive for a solid meal. Good service.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #387
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheniwasyoung View Post
We went through "The Bike Doctor"

http://bikedoctorhhi.com/bike-rentals/

However, Disney has bikes on site that they also rent but I'm afraid I don't know what they charge.

All we did was call ahead of time and give them a credit card number, our desired bike sizes and our check in date. When we arrived the bikes were already at the resort. They have you determine the combination to the bike lock that comes with the bikes so everything is all set when you get there. It was fairly effortless and we had no issues. The total charge for four bikes was $84.80.
Thanks for the information. It really sounds like you had a great time at HHI.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #388
emilymad
DIS Veteran

Is there a map of the bike paths anywhere? We usually stay in Sea Pines so we are trying to decide if we want to rent bikes this trip.
emilymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #389
okw2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilymad
Is there a map of the bike paths anywhere? We usually stay in Sea Pines so we are trying to decide if we want to rent bikes this trip.
They gave me one when I rented the bike (but I threw it away) so maybe if you call the resort they can send one to you? It is however quite simple: there's a bike path on most of the main roads!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #390
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyplanner View Post
Sounds like they won't hold your food like at WDW while you wait for your room to be ready at HHI? I guess we will have to look into buying a cheap cooler for our perishable food.

I love Target, that would be awesome if they sold groceries at the one in Bluffton.
There is a locked castmember room just as you enter Big Murgies on the left. This is where they have several refrigerators to hold food. You should ask at the desk when you check in.
Judique is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: