Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #31
Familytradition
Earning My Ears

So ..... I bought the EBCI for all 4 of us ...but I think I'm misunderstanding something ..... Since I've paid for the early bird I don't need to check in at the 24 hour window to get Boarding A ??? Is that right ?
Familytradition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #32
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familytradition View Post
So ..... I bought the EBCI for all 4 of us ...but I think I'm misunderstanding something ..... Since I've paid for the early bird I don't need to check in at the 24 hour window to get Boarding A ??? Is that right ?
Correct, you don't need to check-in at 24 hours. But there's no guarantee you will get an A. I checked it at exactly 24 hours this morning and got B23, so some EBCI's most likely got B's.
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #33
Familytradition
Earning My Ears

Ok ....so what did I pay extra for then ???
Familytradition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #34
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familytradition View Post
Ok ....so what did I pay extra for then ???
To be ahead of the people checking in at 24 hours.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #35
BigTigger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
There is nothing formal out there, but some of us who watch the airline industry see SW becoming more and more like the old "main line" (All the while doing misleading commericals...)
Hahaha ... so they're becoming the Toyota of the airline biz - makes sense since the federal agencies don't enforce false advertising anymore.
BigTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #36
BigTigger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
We'll see. There's also this article:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ay-fares.html/

I hope it doesn't happen. If I had to pick one or the other, though, I'd rather they add change fees before they add a baggage fee.
If you read that article link, the J.P. Morgan analyst Mark Streeter is pretty clueless for someone who supposedly covers the industry. Hartford has SWA and JetBlue direct flight competition. SWA has one more direct flight than JetBlue right now (3 vs. 2), but by late summer JetBlue will be back to offering the same number of direct flights as SWA out of Hartford.
BigTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #37
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniehar90
Since you have 4 confirmation #'s you most likely will be split up - but it shouldn't be that far apart. My advice is to open up 4 browsers and have all the information entered and ready to go ahead of time. Or if your DH can help, he can do two and you can do two. I would consider spending the extra funds for EBCI on your way home. It is really a pain to have to worry about that on your last day of vacation!
We plan to use 2 smartphones and 2 laptops to check in...the kids can help! We're caving and paying for 2 EBCI when we return. That way we only have to di 2 check ins onnour smartphones from the park. Gonna cross my fingers and hope for decent wifi signals. Last trip was dreadful at the parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjscheel

I will be in the same boat- when booking with points apparently it is 4 separate checkins for us. Your example above is helpful. I think if we were that example, we would have a parent and child with A38 and A49 line up at A49, and a parent and child with A60 and B3 line up at B3. Actually at ages 14 and 11 maybe my kids would decide pair up instead of parent/child. But they would definitely prefer to be with a family member over a stranger! Say I get A38 and DD14 gets A49...do we have to be the ones lined up at A49, or can we give the boarding numbers to whoever we want within our party?

I also forget how this works- when we have a layover and board the next plane, do we have the same numbers as for the previous plane? Or do we get separate numbers at checkin for the separate plane
I am definitely doing EBCI for the return. We may or may not have a smartphone, and with 4 separate checkins, I don't want to take my chances on getting online at just the right time on vacation.
I have the same problem with the layover ...not sure how that works? All my SW flights have been nonstop so far.

4 separate checkins is a huge pain. Last SW flight was just DH and I and with 2 separate checkins, we were about 4-5 numbers apart. We ended up boarding together because the ppl standing between us decided to sit suddenly.

Oh i need to ask, with EBCI, do we still need to check in?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #38
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTigger View Post
Hahaha ... so they're becoming the Toyota of the airline biz - makes sense since the federal agencies don't enforce false advertising anymore.
There is no false advertising here. SW does not tell you that if you buy EBCI you'll get an A boarding spot. That is no longer something one can assume. Most of us, that understand how it works, buy it for convenience, or to get a jump on those not buying it. Without it, you are almost assured of getting into the late B group. SW tells us that you are checked in before those not paying for EBCI. Below is what SW states on their site......

What do I get?
AUTOMATIC CHECK-IN
Whether you choose to print your boarding pass the day before or just hours before the flight, your confirmed boarding position will be ready and waiting for you. Now you can print your boarding pass as your schedule allows.
BETTER BOARDING POSITION
We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.
EARLIER ACCESS TO OVERHEAD BINS
Got bags? We've got room. By boarding earlier you'll get your pick of available overhead bin space.

So....no false advertising here. They actually say you may not get an A spot.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #39
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I usually buy it for my return trip,as being on vacation,I;m never sure about checking in myself.....
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #40
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

one more (silly) question.... if I get EBCI for a connecting flight, do they automatically check us in to both legs of our flight? (I don't do connecting often)
no wait,I have one more,if I buy EBCI,and change the flight (fare drop,etc) will it transfer to the changed flight,or do I lose out?
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #41
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
There is no false advertising here. SW does not tell you that if you buy EBCI you'll get an A boarding spot. That is no longer something one can assume. Most of us, that understand how it works, buy it for convenience, or to get a jump on those not buying it. Without it, you are almost assured of getting into the late B group. SW tells us that you are checked in before those not paying for EBCI. Below is what SW states on their site......

What do I get?
AUTOMATIC CHECK-IN
Whether you choose to print your boarding pass the day before or just hours before the flight, your confirmed boarding position will be ready and waiting for you. Now you can print your boarding pass as your schedule allows.
BETTER BOARDING POSITION
We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.
EARLIER ACCESS TO OVERHEAD BINS
Got bags? We've got room. By boarding earlier you'll get your pick of available overhead bin space.

So....no false advertising here. They actually say you may not get an A spot.
Welll...

It's the "business traveler" commercial that is HORRIDLY misleading.

First they claim the "business traveler" pays for luggage. Nope, most of them either (A) are frequent flyers and get free luggage or (B) thier company pays so they don't care

Then they claim the same about seat assignments once again (A) or (B)

But 90% of the business travelers I know are NOT subject to the issues SW claims they "save us from" Not to mention that SW actually refuses to play with the TSA precheck so they actually submit us to more TSA hassle LOL (They never show that do they, be a business traveler on Delta and you can get a 'fast pass' to the worse part of the airport expereince, but on SW that's not happening)

So the "advantage" SW "advertises" on thier "look at him being knocked down commerical" is "SW hype" not "reality"

IMHO it's not false it's just misleading, but wrong (not to mention it's a stupid add, who wrote it a 5 year old???)
OrangeCountyCommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #42
wdwfan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
You will, most likely, be split up. But, you can still board together. Let's say one person gets A38, second person gets A49, third gets A60, fourth gets B3. You can all go back to the B group, and get in line with the B3 person, allowing everyone between A38 and B2 move up to fill in the three empty slots.
Or just move two people...probably parents, back to be next to a child.
Or pay for the 2 EBCI, save that one middle seat for one of the kids boarding later, and a parent takes any old single seat they find.
We always buy EBCI now, but in the past if we had to check in while in a park we would go to guest relations and check in on a computer there, and print our boarding passes.

wdwfan1

I have been boo'd by wisbucky!
wdwfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #43
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
one more (silly) question.... if I get EBCI for a connecting flight, do they automatically check us in to both legs of our flight? (I don't do connecting often)
no wait,I have one more,if I buy EBCI,and change the flight (fare drop,etc) will it transfer to the changed flight,or do I lose out?
Check-in for all legs of your flight will be done at T-36 from the scheduled departure time of the first leg of your flight. This means that you're checked in for your connecting flight before those who are starting their trips at your connecting city.

If you just do a change to your itinerary to get the credit and maintain your same confirmation number then you will still have EBCI for your flight. If you cancel and rebook (this is necessarily for DING fares, not that they seem to be worthwhile these days for the few DINGs that actually show up) resulting in a different confirmation number then you will lose your EBCI.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #44
lisagirl88
Mouseketeer

We just arrived back yesterday from Orlando and both our flights were totally full. We were a party of 4(2A, 2C ages 8 and 10). I didn't pay for EBCI for our flight down or back. For our flight down I checked in right at the 24 hour mark and got B24-28. We had no problem getting any seat(just toward the middle/back of the plane). On our flight back we were at the park at the 24 hour mark and it totally slipped my mind so we checked in at the 27ish hour mark and got B55-58. We had our choice of seats, but in the last 4 rows of the plane. We choose to split up a bit and ended up in the middle of the plane, but all within a row of one another.

I really don't see the point in buying EBCI unless you absolutely want to be at the front of the plane or have a window seat in the front/middle of the plane. I personally sat in an isle seat for the first time and loved it!
lisagirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #45
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I think its a crap shoot. Last month I did not buy it and I ended up changing my ticket at the last minute to a flight that left MCO in 6 hours. I thought for sure I would get a C boarding since I was checking in 6 hours before the flight left. NOPE I got an A group.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: