DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #16
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC_Corrys View Post
A car is a must.....

Start trying Priceline now... bid low, you can keep trying.

I booked a Costco rental for $365 for 9 days and tried as a joke one night on Priceline not thinking it would be accepted and I got a 9 day car rental for $200 bucks after all taxes/fees/surcharges/levys/firstchild/etc... that was a win.
How far out from your dates did you do the Priceline bid? I've heard the chances are better the closer to your dates. Also, who did the car end up being through? I currently have one through Thrifty but would prefer another place (like National or Enterprise). We will also need a car for 3.5 (4) days on Maui after our week at Aulani.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
ludari
DIS Veteran

I have been to the Hawaiian Islands several times and a car rental is necessary IMHO. I have never stayed at Aulani but just confirmed my first trip in May and I will definitely get a rental car.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

We most definitely needed the car! Aulani is quite far off the beaten path and so without the car you can't do much. I'd also rent offsite as it's cheaper than the rental onsite.

I'd have to look back on my Aulani notes but I found a discount code online which saved us substantial money on our 10 day rental.... just look up Oahu car rental discount codes or something similar to that phrasing. I know we paid $250~ tax all in for the 10 days with the discount code for a compact car.
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration & perhaps some 33 lovin' /15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean & BLT/GFV

Last edited by TagsMissy; 03-07-2013 at 01:56 PM.
TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
DVC_Corrys
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
How far out from your dates did you do the Priceline bid? I've heard the chances are better the closer to your dates. Also, who did the car end up being through? I currently have one through Thrifty but would prefer another place (like National or Enterprise). We will also need a car for 3.5 (4) days on Maui after our week at Aulani.

My bid was January for a May trip! It was with National.

You can try every 24 hours... so, it is fun for trip planning.
DVC_Corrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #20
Anal Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC_Corrys View Post
My bid was January for a May trip! It was with National.

You can try every 24 hours... so, it is fun for trip planning.
Thanks...maybe I'll try it soon then. We're going in August. I am afraid of getting too small of a car and not having enough room for the luggage. There's only 3 of us and I HAVE learned to cut back on my packing but I HAVE been known to not be able to get all of the luggage to fit in the car before! I don't know if we can get by with "midsize" or if we need larger (full size)? I know compact will not be big enough for 3 people with 3 large checked bags and 3 carry-ons plus some groceries etc...

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

Old 03-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #21
Casemily
Mouseketeer

Check the actual car companies themselves every so often too. Deals do come up. Plus with gas being expensive, the economy and compact cars are more expensive than a full size vehicle. That being said, 2 months out rates were cheapest on a convertable followed by a full size but still about $80 a day before taxes. About a week prior Priceline rates dropped on a few of the companies to $35-40 I offered $25 and was accepted. We ended up with a jeep patriot. Due to diving out of the Honolulu area and the Roundtrip to the airport we did 5 RT to the Honolulu area from aulani and still had between an eighth to a quarter tank of gas.

Hope that helps you plan!
Casemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
WDdaughter
Mouseketeer

I just booked using a discount website, just google discount hawaii car rental. No deposit required, can cancel anytime. Full size $590 from Dollar for 14 days.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

We have a Jeep Liberty. We booked through Costco Travel, it's an Alamo rental (so I also got my Alama 'frequent buyer' points). $225 for 11 days - I think we booked it in December.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #24
blondietink
DIS Veteran

We prefer National so we can pick any car on the lot for the mid-size price, but the rates at HNL were outrageous, I thought. Just the fees for being at the airport added almost $100.00 to the rental. We have plenty of time, so I will keep looking. Sadly, we are not Costco members as there isn't one where we live.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
DVC_Corrys
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink
We prefer National so we can pick any car on the lot for the mid-size price, but the rates at HNL were outrageous, I thought. Just the fees for being at the airport added almost $100.00 to the rental. We have plenty of time, so I will keep looking. Sadly, we are not Costco members as there isn't one where we live.

Try Priceline. We got national on there.
Aulani - 2011, 2013

On the Horizon WDW - 2014 (AOA, BLT)
DCL - 2014 (Fantasy)
DVC_Corrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #26
ttepsich
Mouseketeer

We were in Ohau and Hawaii (the Big Island) in January. We used Discounthawaiicarrental.com. We got great prices. You dont have to pay in advance and you can cancel at any time. While on the Big Island, we initially booked a small car. Then, we thought it would be fun to have a Jeep. I called the company and the rep suggested to book the Jeep while it was available so we would have the reservation. Told us to think it over, and then cancel the one we didn't want. We talked it over for a few days and decided on the Jeep. I canceled the other reservation. I will use them again
ttepsich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #27
ttepsich
Mouseketeer

Oops, just saw DWdaughters post.... discount hawaii car rental was already mentioned.
ttepsich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #28
OCLover
Earning My Ears

Back in December, there was a special deal through carrentals.com. I was able to reserve a Ford Edge at Advantage for a week at Aulani over spring break in April for $101.36 including tax. The sale was only up for a day or two but I am pretty sure it was a mistake because everything else since is $275 plus for same category. I called Advantage month ago and they are honoring it.
DCL - 4 night Bahamas aboard Dream - August 2013
OCLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #29
Anal Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
So far, for us, Costco is still running very high for our dates in August. I drive a Honda Pilot at home so am not sure if a "midsize" (Corolla or similar) is big enough for the 3 of us PLUS all of our luggage (probably 3 large 30" duffles and 3 carry-ons). The "midsize" through DiscountHawaii.com was a lot cheaper than a "full size" so I went ahead & reserved one over the weekend - but I'd really prefer a "full size" but for the rate I got for the "mid-size". So I currently have a "full size" thru Thrifty for $272 and a "mid-size" which ended up thru Alamo for $226. I am still hoping that when we get closer to our dates that maybe I can find a better deal. I don't want to bid on Priceline TOO EARLY in case there are better deals to be found so I'll wait until summer. 4 days on Maui in a "mid-size" are costing us $176 so our 11 days in Hawaii are currently costing $402. I would love to get them to under $350 if I can.

Anybody here familiar with a Corolla? How big is the trunk? Do you think 3 large duffles & a couple of carry-ons" will fit in there?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #30
LesBesTes
Earning My Ears

Try AlohaRents.com as well. I just used them this past week for a 5 day rental, which was $177 at Alamo in HNL. Most of the rates I was seeing were $300 plus, so I saved a bunch. They get good TripAdvisor reviews and came recommended from some FlyerTalk members, which is how I found them. Sometimes you can beat them with a special discount code or a lucky Priceline bid, but I've found them to be the cheapest more than 50% of the time I've priced them out. You can also get extra drivers for no extra fee.
LesBesTes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: