Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
athumann
Mouseketeer

Bit the bullet and rented DVC

I've been waiting for discounts and came across a DVC rental deal today for a savannah view studio at AKV for June 30 - July 5 and just couldn't pass it up! Kind of nervous about the whole transaction but so excited!! Let the planning begin!!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

hope you love it!

going to be for July 4 too!

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

I rented DVC points for a Kidani stay last spring for ds's first trip. The transaction went smoothly, the seller was really great about everything and helpful. Hope all goes well!

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

you have more courage then me!!!! Good for you
Mac4life30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
athumann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney
I rented DVC points for a Kidani stay last spring for ds's first trip. The transaction went smoothly, the seller was really great about everything and helpful. Hope all goes well!
I did this through Ebay and that's what's got me a little worried! We stayed at Kidani last Febraury as a free upgrade and were completely spoiled, can't even bear the thought I'd any other resort.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Most all are safe, especially using David's service here on the DIS or the DVC rent board.

I would avoid any on ebay and definitely avoid those that ask for a $95 check in fee.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30 View Post
you have more courage then me!!!! Good for you
It was a little nervewracking at first, but I followed the tips on the rental board and the seller really did seem great. The price was a good deal, but within reason, not sure I would trust something super cheap unless it was a last minute cancellation. It cost $100 more for a five night stay over what a value resort would have cost me, so for an extra $20 a night we got a deluxe resort with kitchenette (helpful with a baby).

Last edited by chloelovesdisney; 03-07-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
athumann
Mouseketeer

I did mine on eBay 😱but his feedback from others who rented was 100% with some great comments and I figure I'm somewhat protected by PayPal aren't I?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by athumann View Post
I did this through Ebay and that's what's got me a little worried! We stayed at Kidani last Febraury as a free upgrade and were completely spoiled, can't even bear the thought I'd any other resort.
I've only done it through the DVC rental board (I've done a private seller, my friend has done a private seller 3 times, and another friend has done it through David). I'd look at all the renting instructions they recommend on DVC rental board to make sure everything checks out (if it doesn't check out can you dispute it with paypal or ebay?).

Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Polynesian27
Mouseketeer

You will be fine, just make sure to get the sellers phone number in case you have any questions between now and your trip. Its always good to talk to the seller one on one and not over email, you can tell a lot about a person just with a simple phone call. I'm sure everything will be fine and have a wonderful time!
Polynesian27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by athumann View Post
I did mine on eBay 😱but his feedback from others who rented was 100% with some great comments and I figure I'm somewhat protected by PayPal aren't I?
Sorry but no you are not. Paypal actually does not even allow timeshare rentals per their terms, which basically means they will not back you in a dispute.

You might be covered by a credit card. Does the seller allow you to talk to them by phone?

Are they asking for a $95 fee.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

The other thing would be even if paypal reimbursed you, you would still be in Disney with no reservation or place to stay. Best to check everything out BEFORE you arrive.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Sorry but no you are not. Paypal actually does not even allow timeshare rentals per their terms, which basically means they will not back you in a dispute.

You might be covered by a credit card. Does the seller allow you to talk to them by phone?

Are they asking for a $95 fee.
Oh, I didn't know paypal doesn't allow this, that is good information to know.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
Oh, I didn't know paypal doesn't allow this, that is good information to know.
Yep per their website: Timeshare transactions -- offers to buy, sell, or rent rights to the periodic use of a property. A timeshare is real estate that is jointly owned by people who share the right to use the property and take turns using it.

Paypal is more of a convenience than a safe guard. Also something to always watch for is, if someone is offering a great deal over what most everyone else is offering.

$12-$13 per point for a rental is the norm, anything greatly less, I would be asking why?

Another thing to watch for on Ebay is incorrect info in the listing. There is a listing on Ebay for AKV for 3-30 through 4-07 and in huge print, these dates can be changed. Which is completely not true, as those dates are completely booked, so there is no way to change them.

Last edited by Sammie; 03-07-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Yep per their website: Timeshare transactions -- offers to buy, sell, or rent rights to the periodic use of a property. A timeshare is real estate that is jointly owned by people who share the right to use the property and take turns using it.

Paypal is more of a convenience than a safe guard. Also something to always watch for is, if someone is offering a great deal over what most everyone else is offering.

$12-$13 per point for a rental is the norm, anything greatly less, I would be asking why?
I paid $10 a point and my friend usually pays $11, but my friend renting from David is paying $13. It was worth it to her though for the security.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: