Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #31
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
I've always wondered about trip insurance. Generally we're traveling on points so I can't really put a $ amount on that.
DVC has travel insurance now. It ends up covering the cost of the maintenance fees on the points you would otherwise lose. You have to pay the premium per Use Year, so if you're borrowing and banking and using current UY, that's 3 premiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Is this also true if you don't get the insurance though? I thought they also let you do that if you can't make it. You don't get your money back but they will apply it to a new cruise. I could totally have that wrong.
No I think you have to actually buy their product. It wouldn't work for me, because living in WA I canNOT buy their product. (or rather they cannot sell me their product)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDennis28 View Post
So, what is the best insurance to buy? I want something that covers it all, door to door if my MIL (heaven forbid) dies 2 days before we leave? Or I have a medical emergency and need to be air-lifted off the ship in Alaska (yup, nearly happened to me)?
You want the pre-existing condition clause (which Disney does NOT have, which is why they cannot sell in WA where it is required (and that might be why Costco's insurance has the PEC, because they are based in WA)). You want to buy it early, and every time you add something else to your trip you want to call them within the time period they tell you, even if it doesn't increase your insurance cost. For instance, we upgraded our stateroom to concierge, and we had to call them to let them know, even though it only increased our price by under $400 and didn't bring us up to the next 1K mark where the price would have changed. But we still had to let them know officially.

You want to talk to the people where you're buying it (like insuremytrip), let them know what you need, and make sure what you buy meets your needs.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #32
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
Yes nancy that is what I said. I know it's my own fault and I'm simply warning others. I THOUGHT I had door to door coverage. Simple as that. Others might think they do too, so simply a warning.
You clearly did not read my entire post.
I did read your entire post. You were advising people to NOT buy the insurance offered through Disney and that Disney should sell a better product. What should they sell? I was just pointing out that they can only offer to cover the vacation that they sell you. They would have no way of knowing what other components you added to the cruise vacation, such as airfare, hotels, activities because everyone books different things. Even at the 'insure my trip' comparison, you have to add airfare or hotels if you book them after purchasing insurance just for the cruise.

I bought the Disney insurance for my upcoming trip because I wanted the 'cancel for any reason' portion of it. I know it doesn't cover us until we get on the ship because that's what I paid for.

I appreciate your information, but I don't think Disney can offer a better product if you don't book the entire trip through Disney.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #33
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

OP. thank you for posting your experience.

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #34
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
..... You want the pre-existing condition clause (which Disney does NOT have, which is why they cannot sell in WA where it is required (and that might be why Costco's insurance has the PEC, because they are based in WA))......
Interesting about Costco, WA, and the PEC availability. Thanks
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #35
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

So sorry about your whole situation. I know from reading your previous thread that the initial ordeal was bad enough. I agree that one needs to really read through the policy before buying. I do have a couple of suggestions for future purchases and possibly in your situation.

1. Look into what is covered in by your credit card. Mine will cover lost or delayed baggage, rental car damage and trip cancellation due to airline cancellations. So look into what your cards cover and possible switch to another card.

2. Record all phone calls when calling into customer service for any issues. Find an app like Call Spy that will record both sides of your phone calls. As long as one side states the call is recorded, then both sides can record it. When was the last time you made a call to customer service and didn't hear, "This call may be recorded for training/quality ...." They record to cover themselves, do the same to prove what was said.

3. I agree with a previous poster. Look into Costco if you have one remotely close to you. I haven't seen anyone come close to their cash card as far as % back based on the cost of your cruise. I have found that they also partner with a great insurance company that covers more and costs less.

Upcoming: 7/14 - BWV, 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2), 12/14 - BWV

2014: Mar - BLT, Jan - VGC
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2008: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #36
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

We were on the cruise you missed - we are from the "meet" and FE exchange. We missed you both on the cruise, and along with many others, felt very bad about your situation. So unfortunate. I sincerely hope your next cruise is fabulous; you certainly deserve it after what you and your daughter went through.
*Disney Wonder 2010
*Disney Fantasy February 2013
DakotaDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #37
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

I read about your daughter before, and I am SO sorry! Very sorry for you about everything.

All I really wanted to say, other than that, is to not blame Allianz. They're a respected company who sells a good product. At least they do, when you're buying as a consumer and not through the cruise line. And no, I don't work for them, but have an extensive background in the insurance industr
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #38
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Stupid phone!

That should say "industry".
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #39
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

I've gone back through now on ***************** to see if there are any policies that would have covered you in your situation.

There are some. But mostly, they are up to a set amount per day depending on the plan level (125-200) and I've seen none that give more than 5 days.

Granted, even THAT would've been better than a big fat nothing.

Folks, this is a great lesson. People worry more about passports (another subject entirely) .. but you need to GET TRAVEL INSURANCE and READ YOUR POLICY.

The OP has unfortunately learned an expensive lesson. Thank goodness it didn't require evacuation or emergency treatment while actually ON the cruise. That can be so expensive it can financially devastate a family.

So sorry this has happened to you.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #40
lodge
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
I know you are frustrated, but you bought insurance for your cruise, not for you pre-cruise stay or travel. The premium for your insurance is based on the price of your trip, and for them your price was the cruise.

Some people book everything through Disney, and basically have door to door coverage because the cost of the entire trip is used in figuring out the premium for the insurance. Say a family decided to go to WDW for a week before the cruise and had airfare and a suite at the Contemporary and got sick before they even left home. Would it be fair for the insurance company to cover those costs when another family booked the same cabin on the cruise, paid the same insurance premium (for the cruise only), but lived in Florida so only cancelled the actual cruise?

If you had booked insurance through another insurer, and you wanted the coverage from door to door, they would have based the premium on the entire cost of your vacation, not just on the cruise portion. You can buy trip insurance just from the airline for just the airfare, or you can book hotels with a cancellation policy you like (may have to pay a little more for the 'insurance' to be able to cancel). You bought cruise insurance, and that's what you got. They are refunding the cost of your cruise, correct? You weren't yet checked in to the cruise when your daughter got sick, so you weren't yet covered by the cruise insurance. Just like with auto insurance or health insurance, there is an effective time when the policy begins. If you are in an accident on the way to buy insurance, you aren't going to have coverage.

Nancy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
Yes nancy that is what I said. I know it's my own fault and I'm simply warning others. I THOUGHT I had door to door coverage. Simple as that. Others might think they do too, so simply a warning.
You clearly did not read my entire post.
I read it, empathize for your situation, and appreciate you taking the time to help others to prevent this themselves. Thank you.
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #41
cieslack
Mouseketeer

Allianz insures kids for free on their traditional policy.
cieslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #42
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

I don't think people are really understanding her loss here. DCL insurance did cover her trip cancellation up to the limits of this policy. Which was the cost of the trip booked through DCL.

Now, the OP suffered the following additional losses:

A.Out $600 in airfare
B. Out $1000 in hotel stay
C. Out $400 in food
plus whatever else I can't think of..... But about 2 grand for sitting in a room watching my daughter vomit.

Some might have been covered by an outside policy, some not.

A. If OPs airfare expense was a result of a *change* then the change fees may have been covered by a 3rd party policy. If the flights, to & from FL were taken on the dates purchased, they likely will NOT be reimbursed by any company. They will pay for UNused land, water, air fares. Used airline reservations aren't really considered a "loss"

B. This *might* have been partially covered by *some* policies, typically up to 5 days and up to 150ish per day. So, *maybe* a reimbursement of up to $750, depending on the OP's per day expenses. *maybe*

C. I don't think any policy is going to cover food. Food while traveling can be expensive -- but you feed yourself at home too. I don't see this as a covered expense on any travel insurance policy I've ever looked at.

So, yes, a good travel policy definitely would've put the OP in a better position -- provided she happened to pick one that had reimbursement for hotel for a non hospitalized person during a trip cancellation. DO YOU KNOW HOW DEEP I HAD TO READ TO FIND THAT?? Good luck for the average joe not knowing this particular situation to track down that little goody. (Though, from now on *I will* certainly look for it)

Anyway, thats what I've discovered from my years of insurance customer service and an evening combing through travel policies (since I'm now a panicked owner of a DCL policy).

Ooh, and if anyone finds an error in my logic, please let me know. I could be wrong -- this certainly wouldn't be the first time.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #43
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

This is a timely thread as I need to purchase a policy within 13 days to qualify for all it offers. I've been focusing in on Travel Guard's gold plan with the added evac add on.

That policy I saw no limit on the days in a hotel, but it did cap $ at what every level you purchased.

The food thing is interesting. I saw no reference to food which to me indicates it is not covered.

All I read saw you must see a doctor within at max 72 hours, or no $.

Most say call them immediately if an event occurs. 72 hours maybe if life or death.

Most won't touch pregnant women.

I'm wondering if you can up you trip cost to get more coverage for trip interruption and such, even though you trip doesn't cost that much.
In other words tell them the trip cost 10K when it really only cost 6K to get more coverage. Not to try to recoup more than you spend, but for this interruption line item. The coverage for trip interruption only seems to increase as the total cost of trip increases. No increase for TI even between different level plans within the same Insurer.

I'm surprised no carrier has come out with a variable policy where the insured fills in the amounts of coverage they want for each available item, then it calculates the price.

I will say they do have the focused mini plans; medical, evac, death, etc. at very affordable rates.

I know the insurance gave us peace of mind on our last voyage.
We had this same plan I mentioned above.
Of course if I had needed it, as OP, I may have felt different.

Another odd thing, we are currently booked waaaaaaay out, and alot of the policies are not showing up because it is too far out. That's a new one for me.

Oh, also be careful comparing policies. As mentioned, some of the more expensive policies, even with the same company, cover less, than their less costly counterparts. Go figure.

Last edited by Bear3412; 03-07-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #44
DillWaters
Mouseketeer

Thought I remember the OP, in her other thread as it was happening, saying that she did go to the hospital with her DD. Not that that probably helps in any way.
DillWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #45
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillWaters View Post
Thought I remember the OP, in her other thread as it was happening, saying that she did go to the hospital with her DD. Not that that probably helps in any way.
Yes , but I believe it was pre cruise. Had any event occurred after checkin, she would have been covered.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: