Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

I've always wondered about trip insurance. Generally we're traveling on points so I can't really put a $ amount on that.

We were on that cruise and were so sorry to hear how sick your daughter was.

I see you are up for another cruise in 50 days? Tell us about that!

Jen
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412

This is actually one great aspect of DCL insurance. It does act like a "Cancel for any Reason" product, which can be very expensive. If DCL insurance doesn't pay out DCL will give you a credit for a future cruise in the full amount, minus the insurance cost. But you have to purchase it.

Not sure this would apply to flights, hotel, WDW too, if all booked thru DCL, but it may.
Is this also true if you don't get the insurance though? I thought they also let you do that if you can't make it. You don't get your money back but they will apply it to a new cruise. I could totally have that wrong.
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #18
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsupak
I won't argue with you about the insurance thing as well and I did read your entire post. However maybe the title of the thread should be. Warning: Please read your trip insurance policy before buying. Or something of that nature. You will probably get a lot less flack.
Agreed. The title of this thread makes it sound like they are ripping people off and that's not the case. It really should be a warning about being careful and making sure you know what you are buying. There are many negatives to insurance through DCL, but there are positives too. I went with them because I know that if we cant make our cruise and insurance declines, we will get a credit. For my needs, that was most important.

I'm sorry about your vacation though. I followed your other thread and it's very sad that everything had to suck so much. I've been planning my trip for years. I think I would lose my mind.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Is this also true if you don't get the insurance though? I thought they also let you do that if you can't make it. You don't get your money back but they will apply it to a new cruise. I could totally have that wrong.
Technically no. Occasionally we hear reports of DCL being sympathetic and doing the right thing, for those affected by medical emergencies and the like.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #20
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412

Technically no. Occasionally we hear reports of DCL being sympathetic and doing the right thing, for those affected by medical emergencies and the like.
Thanks for clearing that up. Figured I was wrong on that one!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry about all OP had to go thru. But...

She did post a long thread while all of this was going on...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
MDennis28
Mouseketeer

So, what is the best insurance to buy? I want something that covers it all, door to door if my MIL (heaven forbid) dies 2 days before we leave? Or I have a medical emergency and need to be air-lifted off the ship in Alaska (yup, nearly happened to me)?
MDennis28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #23
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDennis28 View Post
So, what is the best insurance to buy? I want something that covers it all, door to door if my MIL (heaven forbid) dies 2 days before we leave? Or I have a medical emergency and need to be air-lifted off the ship in Alaska (yup, nearly happened to me)?
If you have USAA call them first,
then try these sites for comparisons.
www.*****************
www.theinsurancestore.com
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!

Just research what you are buying better than I did.
If this had been a cruise that was just a drive to port for me - for instance I live near Vancouver - this insurance could work for me on that one - if we got sick all I would want back is our cruise money, but I needed something more door to door, and this didn't turn out to be that.

Sept 2015 - Disney Wonder Hawaii
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Dec 2013 - Disneyland
May 2013 -Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean
March 2013 -AKL Jambo Studio & AKL Jambo Concierge, & POR Princess Room
March 2012 -Disney Wonder Mexico
March 2012 - Disneyland
May 2011 - Disney Wonder Alaska
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
Sept 1994 - All Star Sports
April 1977 -Contemporary

Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #25
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

If your MIL dies from a PEC, you would need to have a policy that included PECs. This is usually covered if you purchase the policy within 14 days of booking the original cruise. Many people do not realize that the PEC doesn't just involve the people who are going on the cruise.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #26
SleepyDeb
Mouseketeer

Lollipop's Mom, I am an insurance executive, although not a lawyer, and I don't work for Allianz or in trip insurance. However, there are insurance principles, rules, and laws that carry from company to company and product to product.

If the contract could be interpreted by a reasonable person as covering your loss, it should be covered. Because insurance contracts are written by the insurance company (something that is, btw, required by law) courts always interpret any ambiguity in favor of the insured. Read the policy very dispassionately and see if you think that it would be interpreted by most people to say that your loss should be covered. Maybe show the policy to someone you know who isn't a close friend who would be biased to be favorable to you and ask them what they think.

If the Allianz representative told you that you were covered up to $150/night (not just "if you are determined to be covered, that is the per diem") that is an important fact that should be repeated to each person you speak to at the insurance company.

If the answers to both (or even one) the above are true, keep persuing it. Keep asking to speak to supervisors until you get to the president of the company. Next step would be your state's insurance dept.

Good luck. Allianz generally has a good reputation in the industry as being honest.
SleepyDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #27
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Also, I bought directly though Allianz and it covers our flights/hotel/transfers...everything and it was a fraction of the price DCL charges. I really have never understood why their costs are so much higher if they cover less. I think that is confusing because to many of us in our society the higher priced product feels safer. Like it must cover more because it costs more. Silly how that isn't true.
It costs more through Disney because they are a middle man..there wouldnt be a need for them to sell it if they don't make a profit. So they charge more to make a profit. SImple business 101
Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #28
barbarasc
CruiseCrazy

I think it is important to remember that the cost of insurance is in direct relation to HOW MUCH the insurance company is covering. If the policy was covering a higher amount the cost for the insurance would he been more costly. Cruise line insurance that is purchased via any cruise line will ONLY cover the amount of the vacation that you purchased directly thru them. If your air and pre and or post hotel was handled by DCL it would have been covered.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #29
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Also fwiw, if you booked with Costco their insurance thru Travel Guard has the preexisting condition waiver clause available all the way to Paid in Full date for purchase, which is rare. As noted most must purchase within a week or so of deposit to get this important element covered.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #30
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
Yes nancy that is what I said. I know it's my own fault and I'm simply warning others. I THOUGHT I had door to door coverage. Simple as that. Others might think they do too, so simply a warning.
You clearly did not read my entire post.
As a life long insurance agent, your warning should be listed to. Also suggest that people fine a good travel agency in their home area and talk with experienced agent that knows the ropes.
DISNEY MAGIC FEB 9-13, 2013
DISNEYLAND 1954 OPENING YEAR & 1977
WDW 1972 OPENING YEAR
WDW 1974 THROUGH JUNE 2013 CAN'T COUNT
HOOP DEE DOO REVIEW 21 TIMES
RIVER COUNTRY
RODE STEAM TRAIN IN FT WILDERNESS
Beermam42 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: