Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #16
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post
I agree- more family restrooms would be good, and stop people complaining about families using the companion restroom.
Any family restrooms would be good. WDW only has companion restrooms, and the two are very different things. I know the family restrooms in my local mall have more than one toilet in them, one usually pretty low to the ground, and a little sink. Most companion restrooms have one higher toilets.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #17
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMJ441724 View Post
well now I want to hear this podcast. How can i find it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post

You are awesome!

I love my DISfriends.

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #18
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

I didn't hear anything wrong.....but I do agree......family freindly restrooms are needed.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #19
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Kevin: I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, (perhaps a full-blown review?) of the new restroom "complex" recently opened in the Fantasy Land Expansion. (Where the old Skyway terminal was). Did this state of the art restroom address any needed concerns?
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
Jazcat
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry but even a quadriplegic is more capable than a 9 month old. How is that not good enough to use a handicap stall? Why are some handicaps "better" than others?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #21
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazcat View Post
I'm sorry but even a quadriplegic is more capable than a 9 month old. How is that not good enough to use a handicap stall? Why are some handicaps "better" than others?
Is being 9 months old considered a handicap?
Old 03-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1221 View Post
What about those of us with children too small to walk. When I am alone with DD (9 months) I have to take her stroller in if I want to go to the bathroom. What else could I do with her?

I have to say. I hate when the changing area is in a handicapped stall. I feel dumb going in there just to change her and am afraid someone who needs it will walk up.
This reason is why Disney needs to have dedicated family restrooms. Also during my year as a CM I saw parents do all sorts of creative things with their little ones. Like the baby bjorn, or the slings, or the baby backpack. There are other options to taking the stroller into a area that was never designed to have that much traffic.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #23
Jazcat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Is being 9 months old considered a handicap?
Is not being able to:

Walk
Use your arms effectively
talk
understand all but the most basic language
control your bladder/bowels

NOT considered a handicap?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #24
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Is not being able to:

Walk
Use your arms effectively
talk
understand all but the most basic language
control your bladder/bowels

NOT considered a handicap?
I would assume most 9 month olds are not alone in the park.

I would also assume most 9 month olds would not feel the indignity of not being able to maneuver into a stall, because of a necessary device.

I would assume most 9 month olds would have someone able to transport them, speak for them, make decisions for them and be wearing a diaper. This would negate the need for any handicapped accessibility.

9 month olds are not considered handicapped.

I realize I mis-spoke on the show out of frustration, but the argument that a 9 month old should be considered handicapped doesn't hold water.

There need to be more accessible, family restrooms and then this wouldnt be an issue....even for a 9 month old.

ETA: Julie reported on the show that all of the Disney theme parks have well equipped Child Care Center specifically designed to fit the needs of children from infancy on.

Last edited by DisneyKevin; 03-10-2013 at 09:36 PM.
DisneyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #25
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Quote:
ETA: Julie reported on the show that all of the Disney theme parks have well equipped Child Care Center specifically designed to fit the needs of children from infancy on.
I plan on making use of these when Dh and I take our 2 1/2 year old twin grandsons in a couple of months, thank you for the reminder.

Still, I understand the need of single parents to use whatever is available if nature calls. Single parents with a toddler or younger are in a hard situation, more family friendly restrooms would help with that problem.

Although the Child Care Centers are wonderful, they can sometimes be quite a ways from where you when you or your children need a restroom...NOW!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #26
Jazcat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I would assume most 9 month olds are not alone in the park.

I would also assume most 9 month olds would not feel the indignity of not being able to maneuver into a stall, because of a necessary device.

I would assume most 9 month olds would have someone able to transport them, speak for them, make decisions for them and be wearing a diaper. This would negate the need for any handicapped accessibility.

9 month olds are not considered handicapped.

I realize I mis-spoke on the show out of frustration, but the argument that a 9 month old should be considered handicapped doesn't hold water.

There need to be more accessible, family restrooms and then this wouldnt be an issue....even for a 9 month old.

All said by someone who's never had kids and therefore assumes what he knows about the situation. Instead of just accepting that other people have problems and difficulties in life you just move yours and the ones you know to the top of the list.

Of course a nine month old is handicapped. If someone that's not handicapped is with someone that is handicapped, they're still considered handicapped.

It's the argument that someone in a wheelchair can't wait 5 minutes to use a restroom when others must wait 20 minutes or more that doesn't hold water. Why can't they just wait?

If there was one handicapped restroom in the middle of the park, there would be a huge uproar about the lack of handicapped restrooms.

I understand you misspoke at first, but the more you argue this the more you're making it seem like you want your problems (again, the ones you know) to take priority over everyone else's.

Last edited by Jazcat; 03-10-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Jazcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #27
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow. Just wow. My father was a quadriplegic. There is absolutely no comparison of someone with a disability with a 9-month old infant. The use of a handicapped restroom by someone with a 9-month old is a convenience. The use of a handicapped restroom by someone with a disability is a necessity.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #28
Tigger1221
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Wow. Just wow. My father was a quadriplegic. There is absolutely no comparison of someone with a disability with a 9-month old infant. The use of a handicapped restroom by someone with a 9-month old is a convenience. The use of a handicapped restroom by someone with a disability is a necessity.
Hmmm so when I mentioned taking my stroller into the restroom so I could go I didn't mean the handicapped stall. I have learned to squeeze her stroller in most regular stalls (It can be a very tight fit). I do have a carrier but I can't use the bathroom with her in it (I'm not that coordniated and don't use it a lot). At some local stores and restaurants the changing thing is in the handicap stalls. If this is the case and its possible I change her in stroller (not in the stall).

Being 9 months old is not a handicap thats why I try every way possible to stay out of those stalls. My step-dad has Parkinson's thats a handicap being 9 months old isn't. I do agree 100% that there needs to be more family restrooms at Disney.

April 2013-DD's 3rd trip, Dec.2012, Oct.2012- DD's 1st trips!!!!

Last edited by Tigger1221; 03-10-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Tigger1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #29
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
All said by someone who's never had kids and therefore assumes what he knows about the situation. Instead of just accepting that other people have problems and difficulties in life you just move yours and the ones you know to the top of the list.

Of course a nine month old is handicapped. If someone that's not handicapped is with someone that is handicapped, they're still considered handicapped.

It's the argument that someone in a wheelchair can't wait 5 minutes to use a restroom when others must wait 20 minutes or more that doesn't hold water. Why can't they just wait?

If there was on handicapped restroom in the middle of the park, there would be a huge uproar about the lack of handicapped restrooms.

I understand you misspoke at first, but the more you argue this the more you're making it seem like you want your problems (again, the ones you know) to take priority over everyone else's.
You are correct. I have no children of my own, but I was entrusted with 20 - 30 5 year olds each year for ten years. I've dealt with my share of emergency bathroom runs. Not one of them ever used a handicapped accessible bathroom.

I hope this fits your criteria of having experience with dealing with children.

As far as moving a person needing an accessible bathroom ahead of someone for whom it's a convenience....yes, I believe that should be the case.

I have also come to find your argument about a 9 month old being handicapped to be distasteful.

I truly hope you never find yourself or a loved one in the position of trying to maneuver a wheelchair into a too small space because a 9 month old wearing a diaper has a parent that feels that because of their child's age, that they are handicapped.

As far as understanding someone else's problems, try to understand the frustration of someone that has traveled across the park to the one and only bathroom for quite a while that will accommodate a wheelchair or ECV, only to find that a mother and her perfectly able 3 year old are using it because "it's easier".
Old 03-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #30
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Quote:

If there was on handicapped restroom in the middle of the park, there would be a huge uproar about the lack of handicapped restrooms.

Your comments are very offensive. Infancy is a stage of life, not a disability.

The day may come when you are using a wheelchair, and then all your questions will be answered.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: