Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Over the course of our week, we usually do 2 or 3 sit down restaurants.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

We hit up EoS and Fudruckers but we mostly do sit down meals. We make a couple of ADRS, usually a couple of lunches and a dinner then figure it out as we go. We always rent a car so we'll sometimes go off sight to eat.

Last edited by cluvsdisney; 03-07-2013 at 11:19 AM.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #18
Sheaboys
DIS Veteran

We do a Table Service meal every night. Usually around the time we eat normally. I find that every menu has a chicken, steak, pasta, and sometimes fish meal on the menu, it just depends on italian, mexican, american etc. I also do hopper tickets, so I don't revolve parks around dining or dining around parks. We just go. Also, if we can't make an ADR, no big deal, we just go with the flow to a counter service, we don't stress over it.

Our August 2012 Free Dining Review. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2990330

Mom to 5 little boys
WDW-various days during the 70's and 80's as a child. DisneyLand-July 1991, DisneyWorld-April 1992 offsite
Caribbean Beach-June 1995 honeymoon, All Stars Sports-December 1998, All Star Movies- November 2000 (me, my mom and the 2 boys) DTD Hotel - May 2001, All Star Movies-September 2001 (me, the 2 boys and my girlfriend), Disneyland-December 2003 (us and the 3 boys), POR-October 2nd-8th 2005 (us and the 3 boys)Caribbean Beach-August 25, 2012-September 2,2012
POR-August 2014 (16th-26th)

(dh43) (me 42) (15)(13)(11)(7) (5)
Sheaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
3SpoiledPrincesses
Mouseketeer

Normally we would only make Character ADR's. But, this time around I made an ADR everyday, in the middle of the day. We are going in August and it will be HOT. My thinking is that we have a guaranteed COLD place to sit down in to cool off and rest. We don't eat a lot of fast food type foods so I am hoping with my ADR choices that we at least get one good meal a day.
3SpoiledPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
nellyru
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

We are going to try going with no reservations or dining plan for the first time.

I'm really excited about it.

Especially looking forward to not having to be somewhere at a set time.

I also believe it will end up being cheaper for us than using the dining plan.

Plus- my youngest barely ate any of his food last time.
He is much more of a small meal/snacker than a big meal kinda guy!!

Any thoughts from others who have done this!?
nellyru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
aml3679
Kita's Mom

So it varies from family to family. Currently we have the deluxe dining plan. This is our first on-site stay. We like table service and to be able to sit with a nice cocktail or glass of wine. Thinking about planning on reservations for breakfast and dinner and playing it by ear for lunch. I disagree with a previous poster who said that they wish for no more free dining. Would love this and just pay the upgraded price which would save us at least $800
Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figg View Post
When visiting, do you have a table service reservation for every night you are there? I hate that I have to make reservations for meals and not be able to depend on what our moods/situations are. Any tips or strategies for this?
I try to plan on a variety of meals throughout our trips. I can be certain that we won't be in the mood for steak every night, so I throw some Italian in there etc.

In general, I know we'll have to eat. I'd rather be able to sit in a relaxing environment, instead of dealing with CS lines and food.

I tend towards lunches, because I can be fairly certain that we'll be in a certain park at lunch time. My dinners tend to be at resorts, so we're not necessarily tied down to a particular park.

Most restaurants at Disney can still be cancelled up until the last minute. The others only require cancellation by 10pm the night before. Also, ones with cancellations policies tend to be character meals that you go to more for the experience than the food anyways. They also tend to be buffets, which allows variety.

In general, I tend to look at planning for Disney the same as planning for meals for any other time. Our tastes aren't going to change that much between now and a month from now or even 6 months from now. We're also going to get hungry around the same times as we do at home. Yeah...there's some variations, but I can re-address my plans a week or even a night before and make changes where necessary. I've cancelled or changed an ADR every trip. It's a little more difficult now with the penalties for cancellation (I haven't been since they initiated that) but it's still not a big deal, and I try to make sure those are the ones we are more likely to keep.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #23
VillianDiva
Falling in LOVE with Disney!

We usually eat TS meals for dinner. We also get the park hoppers so there is never an issue. If I don't feel like eating somewhere or we don't feel like making the trip over I always call and see if I can get a reservation somewhere else.

'08 (Dolphin) , '09 (All-Star Music),
Disneyland 2011, and 2012 (POP)!

December 2013! (POFQ)
May 2014! POP!!
VillianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
jimmiej
Quite unintentionally, I invented the Naked Segway Tour

I make a ressie for every day. Dining is an important part of our WDW vacations.

jimmiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #25
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by aml3679
So it varies from family to family. Currently we have the deluxe dining plan. This is our first on-site stay. We like table service and to be able to sit with a nice cocktail or glass of wine. Thinking about planning on reservations for breakfast and dinner and playing it by ear for lunch. I disagree with a previous poster who said that they wish for no more free dining. Would love this and just pay the upgraded price which would save us at least $800
Enjoy! I will give you the heads up, deluxe is a lot of food! We did deluxe dining for our 1 year anniversary trip which was basically our honeymoon. It was a lot of food, as you get an appetizer each plus entree and desser each. We found ourselves declining dessert a lot and just generally stuffed. And that was with just 2 ts a day, because we ate at all signatures for dinner. We find now unless we get a deep discount on the dining plan (our friend is a CM) we just pay OOP as we choose. Lots of times i just want a soup and salad anyway.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #26
Compassplant
Earning My Ears

We had the deluxe plan on our WDW trip last month. Months in advance we booked a minimum of 2 table service meals/day. Here are my lessons learned.

1. Having reservations requires you to have to leave to be at your reservation. You must account for getting through crowds, getting on transportation, etc. This builds some inflexibility into your schedule.

2. At most of our table service dinners, we were still full from our table service lunch.

3. Having a table service meal, especially at lunch, was a good planned break.

Personally, on our next trip, we are planning less table service meals because we were not overly impressed with the food and having meal reservations made our time at WDW more hectic.
Compassplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #27
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

Years ago

we did three big meals a day and even with all the walking we felt like slugs and would come home feeling like we gained 15 lbs.

Then a few years later we decided to cut out lunch and only do TS breakfast and dinner. This was fine as long as we got plenty of exersise.

8 years ago I bought into DVC and than changed everything! We now eat most breakfasts in the villa with a Trails End and Olivia's thrown in for good measure. We still found huge dinners to weigh us down so we made the change to having our big meal of the day at lunch. Most of the time it is after 2:30 which alowed us morning park time, afternoon pool time and then a nice meal. It has been that way for 5 years now and it works perfect for us.

I am not happy about the all day menus some places are switching to as the meals are pretty heavy and we prefer a lighter meal.

Our favs for lunch are LTT, 50's Prime Time, The Plaza, Via NApoli, GF Cafe, Le Chefs de France and Biergarten

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #28
nessz79
DIS Veteran

On short trips, we make a reservation for at least once per day.
For our next trip, we'll be there 7 days and we have 4 reservations.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #29
DisneyHardin
DIS Veteran

We do the DDP, so I schedule a TS dinner each day. Although, this past trip, we really wanted to do Chef Mickeys for breakfast, so that day we went to DTD for dinner and had Wolfgang Puck Express so we had the feeling of a TS, but using CS credits.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #30
Traveler Steve
Earning My Ears

How do I eat? Usually through my mouth.

More seriously, only a few reservations per trip. If I'm there five or six days, only 3 table service places, tops. I much prefer to roam as the wind takes me and stop at counter service places.

(This year I am going with family and the one who made the reservations took the dining plan option. So I made the reservations for every dinner, some lunch. I'm uneasy about being confined like this, so we'll see how it goes.)
Traveler Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: