Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #256
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppartekim View Post
Correct, two entirely different beasts and I would expect that soon Google+ will be another one. I also expect that there are other cruise groups out there as well; it just happens that DIS and FB are the current top hits. I will be on all but only one will be called home and the others lurking vacation spots - for me home was DIS and today- its FB, tomorrow- ???,
Well, I hope you continue to visit and post here periodically during this next 15 months, even though the DIS is not your favorite spot any more.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #257
MoonDaughter23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele View Post
Does it make sense to have 2 completely different FE organizations going on? What happens if someone makes a yahoo group for FE? Not sure that would happen but I just thought people were wanting info to flow from one media to the other and not lose contact (threads dying I think was used a time or 2).
I think this could happen. Not specifically yahoo, but there are so many FB groups and boards that have their own meet groups and out there now. The world of Disney is a huge place. There could be other exchanges by groups we don't know about who are not fond of FB or DIS but know about the FE phenom and made their own.

I remember someone posting on another FB group that they got confused by an FE hanging on a stateroom not on their list, but they had extra and decided to put gifts in there anyway. Which I thought was awesome.

My only hope is -- while our two groups do seem to be merging through some of us crossovers -- that there is no confusion if there does wind up to be a separate FE group. *This came across in a bad way to me so I'm adding: By this I mean I hope there is no confusion of the frustrating kind. I have no problems if people are confused by a random FE and want to give to them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
You mean here, on this May 24, 2013 Meets Thread or maybe others?

I didn't realize there was so much controversy over this subject.
Oh yeah. It can get nasty sometimes. On other meet threads I mean.

My Disney Adventures
Disney Magic Inaugural Greek Cruise: June 15, 2013
Disneyland/California Adventure: April 4, 2013
Disney Fantasy: December 29, 2012
Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Epcot: December 25, 2012
Disneyland/California Adventure: June 17, 2012 (Opening week of Cars Land and Mad T Party)
Disneyland/California Adventure: March 2012
Became DVC Member: December 28, 2011,
First Disney Cruise: December 24, 2011, Magic
Magic Kingdom and Epcot: January 2011
Disneyland/California Adventure: June 2007
My Daughter’s first trip to Disneyland: December 31, 2001
Animal Kingdom: August 1999
Epcot: June 1997
Disneyland: July 1994
Disneyland: June 1991
Disneyland: April 1987
First trip to Disneyland: November 29, 1986

Last edited by MoonDaughter23; 03-05-2013 at 03:54 PM.
MoonDaughter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #258
MousseauMob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I didn't realize there was so much controversy over this subject.
I didn't either! I used the term "meet killer", but all I meant was the activity on the DIS meet thread was reduced to very little conversation. I'm sorry if this was taken as heated debate/war, I assure everyone I didn't mean anything heated. That's why I started with the "no offense to FB" part.

I'm feeling like I should crawl under a rock now.

05/2014 DCL 9 Day Alaska, 04/13 Galveston to WDW, 09/12 HAL Alaska, 04/12 DCL Inaugural Hawaiian Cruise, 09/2011 DL GC and Universal, 05/2011 HAL Alaska, 09/2010 HAL Alaska, 05/2008 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera, 09/2007 DL GC, 04/2007 Celebrity Hawaii, 10/2005 DL GC (Trick or Treat), 06/2005 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera Cruise, 02/2004 DL GC, 01/2003 DL GC, 12/1999 DL PP, 10/1997 DL PP, 05/1995 WDW Dolphin and that big red boat
MousseauMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #259
MoonDaughter23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MousseauMob View Post
I didn't either! I used the term "meet killer", but all I meant was the activity on the DIS meet thread was reduced to very little conversation. I'm sorry if this was taken as heated debate/war, I assure everyone I didn't mean anything heated. That's why I started with the "no offense to FB" part.

Don't feel that way. It's not like you or anyone here or on FB stirred the pot and led an attack towards either site. At least I didn't take any comments that way. I actually found "meet killer" funny because it does happen sometimes.

I'm Switzerland in the whole FB/DIS issue and I definitely cannot I speak for anyone, but it was my impression people merely stated their preference of DIS over FB. There is nothing wrong with that. Everybody has their reasons for one over the other or both.

I think the ambiguity of posting on any site without hearing a voice behind it many times causes the wrong impression of what was actually being said. I don't think you or anyone else should feel guilty about stating your preference.

As I said in my last post, DIS/FB discussions can get pretty nasty on other threads. Just as they can with DCL vs RCCL vs Carnival. I didn't see anything nasty from anyone here. And I hope it never comes to that because I like this thread.

Sorry everyone for my Pollyana moment. And now for my Forrest Gump: "That's all I have to say about that."

If I get flamed for this post...so be it.

My Disney Adventures
Disneyland/California Adventure: June 17, 2012 (Opening week of Cars Land and Mad T Party)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #260
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

It seems like I keep adding to my gotta pack list.

Gotta get something for the characters to sign, gotta get something for the FE(think we are gonna do it, just gotta convince DH ), layers, hats, camera......

Time for OverPlanner to kick in and make a list

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #261
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MousseauMob View Post

Oh my, I don't think anything was aimed at this thread or at you at all. It sounds to me as if those heated discussions have happened on other threads at other times.

I think your term "meet killer" is a good one. I saw it happen to my last cruise, and since I joined the FB group late, I never felt a part of the group and didn't attend the meet when we got on the ship. I was always more comfortable on the meets thread.

Come out from underneath your rock, you have nothing to feel bad about and I hope you don't give all this another thought.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #262
MoonDaughter23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997 View Post
It seems like I keep adding to my gotta pack list.

Gotta get something for the characters to sign, gotta get something for the FE(think we are gonna do it, just gotta convince DH ), layers, hats, camera......

Time for OverPlanner to kick in and make a list
I feel ya! I live by spreadsheets.

My Disney Adventures
Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #263
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDaughter23 View Post
I feel ya! I live by spreadsheets.
I do too, live by spreadsheets, work in accounting, do the payroll, etc. so it comes naturally to me. I am doing my best right now to figure out how to start sorting out the excursions and I haven't figured out how I am going to set that one up yet.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #264
MoonDaughter23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I do too, live by spreadsheets, work in accounting, do the payroll, etc. so it comes naturally to me. I am doing my best right now to figure out how to start sorting out the excursions and I haven't figured out how I am going to set that one up yet.
We only have our "favorites" picked so far. But I'm waiting to narrow them down until around Thanksgiving or Christmas when I've gleaned a lot more info on what's worth it.

My Disney Adventures
Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #265
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDaughter23 View Post
We only have our "favorites" picked so far. But I'm waiting to narrow them down until around Thanksgiving or Christmas when I've gleaned a lot more info on what's worth it.
There was a thread on which you would not do again. It really did not seem very helpful. Okay, most people did not like the lumberjack show. They said it was corny, but than others chimed in and said they had a blasted corny and all

Train ride that took waaay too long with a speak that was monotoned

Stops that were not long enough

Stuff that seemed flip a coin and it could happen to you. Who would have thought a ferry boat Captain would abandon his passangers, but it happened and the company made it right. Enjoyed the excursion on St John.

Several people say to book outside of Disney

Another Gentleman said that, all the shops right by the dock or seasonal and not local workers according to locals at one of the stops He was all about supporting the local economy. But even if you bought just at those shops it would work out to the local economy, maybe not as much if you bought from a differant store.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #266
tryin
Mouseketeer

first post on this meet
I think I'm going to change my dummy booking to this one. I only wish I could do the b2b from san diego. it would practically pay for itself instead of my flight to vancouver. My only problem is that pesky thing called work. I don't even know my calendar for 2014. Keep your fingers crossed that my school will be ending before the 19th and I will be able to do the b2b. If not, I may have to do JUne 2 as well, but that would be more costly.
tryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #267
RweTHEREyet

Welcome, glad you found us.

Don't you just hate it when your job interferes with your "real" life. I hope it all works out for you, I think having the 9-days is going to add to much to the cruise, no rushing around to get everything done on the ship, time to relax, etc.

My only fear is we won't see any bears, too early in the season, but I guerss we can't have it all.

Again, welcome.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #268
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997 View Post
There was a thread on which you would not do again. It really did not seem very helpful. Okay, most people did not like the lumberjack show. They said it was corny, but than others chimed in and said they had a blasted corny and all

Train ride that took waaay too long with a speak that was monotoned

Stops that were not long enough

Stuff that seemed flip a coin and it could happen to you. Who would have thought a ferry boat Captain would abandon his passangers, but it happened and the company made it right. Enjoyed the excursion on St John.

Several people say to book outside of Disney

Another Gentleman said that, all the shops right by the dock or seasonal and not local workers according to locals at one of the stops He was all about supporting the local economy. But even if you bought just at those shops it would work out to the local economy, maybe not as much if you bought from a differant store.
I agree with you, it seems you can find positives and negatives posted about all the excursions. I think I have decided to set up a spreadsheet and post pros and cons of each one and narrow it down by our interest. At this point, I don't know that cost is even a consideration as I don't know that we will get back there, so we might as well do what we want while we are there.

It does make it easier that we don't have little ones to consider.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #269
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MousseauMob

Oh gosh no!!! I don't think the war was about us and the term meet killer (vs meat killer ahaha) I think describes the situation perfectly. That's what I hope wouldn't happen if we could share info between the threads. Even this board alone I think some of us will be more visible than others but I'd hope the people who only post a few times would still like to join us for a meet. People should do what they are comfy with by all means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDaughter23

Don't feel that way. It's not like you or anyone here or on FB stirred the pot and led an attack towards either site. At least I didn't take any comments that way. I actually found "meet killer" funny because it does happen sometimes.

I'm Switzerland in the whole FB/DIS issue and I definitely cannot I speak for anyone, but it was my impression people merely stated their preference of DIS over FB. There is nothing wrong with that. Everybody has their reasons for one over the other or both.

I think the ambiguity of posting on any site without hearing a voice behind it many times causes the wrong impression of what was actually being said. I don't think you or anyone else should feel guilty about stating your preference.

As I said in my last post, DIS/FB discussions can get pretty nasty on other threads. Just as they can with DCL vs RCCL vs Carnival. I didn't see anything nasty from anyone here. And I hope it never comes to that because I like this thread.

Sorry everyone for my Pollyana moment. And now for my Forrest Gump: "That's all I have to say about that."

If I get flamed for this post...so be it.
Haha Switzerland and Polyanna! Just as long as we don't have any North Korea going on here, I'm still happy to sail with all of you whether you like DIS or FB or both

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet

I agree with you, it seems you can find positives and negatives posted about all the excursions. I think I have decided to set up a spreadsheet and post pros and cons of each one and narrow it down by our interest. At this point, I don't know that cost is even a consideration as I don't know that we will get back there, so we might as well do what we want while we are there.

It does make it easier that we don't have little ones to consider.
Yup I think we will be looking at which best we would like to do. My son is 4 or will be 5 at this point so corny probably won't affect us ahaha. I already plan on doing the gold digging with the character one (what is that Liarsville?) and while it may be a once in a lifetime thing going to Alaska (or at least a long time before we go back perhaps) I still can't convince myself to pay the big bucks to take a float plane or helicopter to a glacier...that and those things scare the bajeezus outta me .

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #270
MousseauMob
DIS Veteran

Out from under my rock.

Quote:
Welcome, glad you found us.

My only fear is we won't see any bears, too early in the season, but I guerss we can't have it all.

Again, welcome.
I second this Welcome!!!! Also, don't give up hope, the one and only time we saw a bear was May and in Sitka, so it's possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele View Post
I still can't convince myself to pay the big bucks to take a float plane or helicopter to a glacier...that and those things scare the bajeezus outta me .
I think you should do what you are most comfortable with, especially with a young one. I found Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau an easy trip and just as spectacular without the fear.

05/2014 DCL 9 Day Alaska, 04/13 Galveston to WDW, 09/12 HAL Alaska, 04/12 DCL Inaugural Hawaiian Cruise, 09/2011 DL GC and Universal, 05/2011 HAL Alaska, 09/2010 HAL Alaska, 05/2008 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera, 09/2007 DL GC, 04/2007 Celebrity Hawaii, 10/2005 DL GC (Trick or Treat), 06/2005 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera Cruise, 02/2004 DL GC, 01/2003 DL GC, 12/1999 DL PP, 10/1997 DL PP, 05/1995 WDW Dolphin and that big red boat
MousseauMob is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: