Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #61
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aml3679 View Post

At least a credit card like ticket would have your picture on it. If the bracelet gets left somewhere, anyone could pick it up and use it.
There are no pictures on your KTTW cards. Disney's solution to a lost bracelet is requiring a PIN code for every transaction. It seems to be hit or miss whether a CM requires customers to use one for their RFID cards, though.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #62
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie View Post
From posts I've been reading here on the RFID KTTW cards, there doesn't seem to be a backup system. If the card doesn't work, the CM's don't seem to have an alternative for making it work.
So how sad is that this just makes me laugh?
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #63
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie View Post
My theory is they aren't telling anything about roll-out dates, because they don't know. Disney is totally winging it.
My thinking is that they are doing exactly what some in this thread are complaining that they should do. They are working out the bugs before doing the roll-out. Since it is impossible for them to know when all problems will be resolved, they haven't given a hard date for roll-out.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #64
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am not crazy about wearing something around my wrist, especially if it is hot outside, but --- if this is what they are doing, it doesn't look like anyone is going to have a choice.
Actually, you do have a choice. If you don't want the band, opt for the RFID-enabled ticket (or keychain or other stuff, apparently).
Quote:
At least a credit card like ticket would have your picture on it.
Why would a hard ticket have your picture on it? The old ones and current ones don't.
Quote:
If the bracelet gets left somewhere, anyone could pick it up and use it.
How could they use it?

They couldn't access your room, because they don't know where it is.
They couldn't charge things, because they don't know your PIN.
They couldn't use your FPs, because they don't know when they are scheduled.
They couldn't enter a park, because the finger scanner would bust them.
They could scam Cinderella into calling them by your first name, I suppose.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #65
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
My thinking is that they are doing exactly what some in this thread are complaining that they should do. They are working out the bugs before doing the roll-out. Since it is impossible for them to know when all problems will be resolved, they haven't given a hard date for roll-out.
And I really, REALLY hope you are right and that is EXACTLY what they are doing...
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #66
cuchu2005
DIS Veteran

For the last couple of weeks we've been to the parks every day. We stayed off site, so no KTTW for us. We got RFID tickets, but all our purchases were paid with a separete credit card, swiping as usual.

Half the times, the magnetic reader of the new terminals would not work, and the CM would just ask me for the card and swipe it in the old terminal.

So, the problem is not only related to KTTW. The system as a whole is a mess.

Even at the Character Warehouse Store on Premium @ Vineland it failed to work, and the cashier told me they had lots of problems with the new terminals.

Hope it is a matter of time, and they figure out how to make it work.

Mx
Jul 1994 - WDW with Mom and Dad and Sister - Feb 1999 - WDW with DW to be - Mar 2000 - WDW with DW to be - Apr 2002 - Disneyland Paris with DW on Honeymoon - Jan 2008 - Discovered the Dis - Feb 2008 - WDW with DW and first DD (2) and on my Bday. - May 2009 - WDW with DW and first DD (3) - Sep 2010 - WDW with DW and DD (4) and DD (9mths) - Feb 2011 - WDW with DW and DD (5) and DD (1) - Nov 2011 - WDW with DW and DD (6) and DD (1) - Feb 2012 - DLR with DW and DD (6) and DD (2) - Feb 2013 - WDW with DW and DD (7) and DD (3)
cuchu2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #67
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
That might work, if they didn't ALSO offer Standby (walk-on) lines to attractions.

Regardless, after decades of daily experience, Disney already knows what attractions draw guests at all day-parts.

More likely, Disney can utilize FP+ being added to the attractions that DON'T naturally draw
the most experienced guests, and lure less-experienced visitors to those less popular attractions
with the offer of "less waiting in line."

But don't plenty of folks aready buy that service in the form of touring plans?

Sorry, I just see this as Disney's attempt to get everyone on board the touring plans formula. It will take some choice out of the touring WDW picture, but conversely, it will take some of the thinking out of it. You get off a ride, and your phone will tell you where to go next. You will - ideally - hop from attraction to attraction with only a FP type wait.

My guess is that in practice, the waits will be slightly longe than FP of the past, but lower than standby waits.

Mind, I do think there's something slightly creepy about WDW tracking our movements throughout the park.

Disney is hardly alone, ever heard of 'video mining'? What about the proposal to have data recorders in all autos? ("On Star", for a start)

Oh, and how about that handy smart phone you carry around?
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #68
AmberHeartsDisney
DIS Veteran

Your "ID" will be printed on the inside of the band. If it doesn't scan I'd guess they just type it in.
March/April 2007- Offsite~11/29/09-12/07/09-Polynesian (For free! I won a trip)~11/29-12/07/10-Polynesian~5/12-5/17/11 Polynesian~9/16-9/19/11 All Star Music~11/13-11/17/11 Animal Kingdom Lodge Club level - Honeymoon ~11/17-11/20/12 Disney Dream Cruise~11/2-11/9 2013 BLT/AKC (We finally bought a DVC!!!09/2013)~5/5-5/11 GFV~12/6-12/13 GFV

Our Disney Travel Blog
AmberHeartsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #69
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r View Post
1. But don't plenty of folks aready buy that service in the form of touring plans? Sorry, I just see this as Disney's attempt to get everyone on board the touring plans formula.

2. It will take some choice out of the touring WDW picture, but conversely, it will take some of the thinking out of it. You get off a ride, and your phone will tell you where to go next. You will - ideally - hop from attraction to attraction with only a FP type wait.

My guess is that in practice, the waits will be slightly longe than FP of the past, but lower than standby waits.

Mind, I do think there's something slightly creepy about WDW tracking our movements throughout the park.

Disney is hardly alone, ever heard of 'video mining'? What about the proposal to have data recorders in all autos? ("On Star", for a start)

Oh, and how about that handy smart phone you carry around?
1. I think your making a couple of leaps here. I don't believe Robo is saying WDW is setting up a full-day touring plan for guests to follow, he is simply saying WDW is adding FP attractions in the hopes of dispersing the less-experienced guests around more.

2. Less choice, less thinking, more going around looking at a phone and doing what it tells me to. Where do I sign?
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #70
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If the bracelet gets left somewhere, anyone could pick it up and use it.
Currently, if a guest drops their KTTW card, anyone can pick it up and use it. What is stopping them? At worst, you have to sign a slip of paper to use it.

Does anyone really think WDW is free of hidden cameras?
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #71
figment13
Mouseketeer

So, can u give these new bands,cards to someone else to use. if u gave them your pin code. whats to prevent someone with an annual pass allowing someone else to use their rfid card/bracelet for admission.
just asking
Old 03-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #72
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment13 View Post
So, can u give these new bands,cards to someone else to use. if u gave them your pin code. whats to prevent someone with an annual pass allowing someone else to use their rfid card/bracelet for admission.
just asking
Finger scans.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #73
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Yes, the finger scans remain for park admission. The bracelet and RFID cards will work for admission just like the cards and Tyvek tickets work now. The difference is there will be no turnstiles and no slots for card scanning.

If you're going to give someone else your band and your PIN number I would assume you are giving them permission to buy whatever they want on your band. If it's OK with you it's not going to matter to Disney what they buy.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #74
linzbear
Flirts with Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment13
just asking
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2

Finger scans.
Well, now I know why they didn't just do finger scanners at all of the touch to pay instead of the PIN. That was driving me nuts for awhile.
04/92 - CBR | 03/94 - Offsite | 03/03 - VWL | 05/05 - BWV | 05/06 - DLR | 12/06 - VWL | 04/07 - BCV | 10/07 - OKW/AKV | 12/07 - VWL | 09/08 - OKW | 10/09 - AKV | 11/10 - AKV/VWL | 10/11 - BLT/Swan | 5/13 - VWL
Planned:
11/14 - AKV
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #75
amybaud
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio
I am fine with them taking it slow to get it all to work and really hope that is what all the unknowns are about.

Me DH DS7

7/96 - CBR, 8/97 - off-site, 9/10 - AKL, 5/13 - POR
amybaud is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: