Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #31
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
I would really miss my landline because I hate using my cell phone.
I bought a VTech phone that connects with our cell phones by bluetooth. So, I can talk on my cell phone using a regular handset. The only problems are (1) I have to keep my cell phone in proximity of the base for the bluetooth to work properly and (2) the contacts phonebook on the VTech is kinda crappy and I always look up the number I want to call on my cell phone and then enter it in by hand.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #32
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

If you have a good internet connection consider OOMA. It is a voice over IP system. You have to buy the hardware and then each month you pay the federal taxes only. So each month costs less the $5 for unlimited calls though out the US. You can also use this for fax machines, alarms or anything that requires a land line. If you don't want to do that then get a google voice number account and port your home number to that and put your cell as the main phone on the google voice account. Then when somebody calls the home number it will go to your cell. The good part is, if the person leaves a voice mail google voice will convert it to a text and/or email and sends you a text version of it. You can also block callers. No real reason to have a land line anymore. I also saw at walmart a cellular base station. It is a box that you plug you existing phone into and then hook it up to a cell service. So basically your existing house phone is now a cell phone. Nice idea imho.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #33
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Don't the telemarketers eventually just get your cell phone number?My landline is 85% telemarketers (even though I am on the National and State DNC list ) but they got my number from somewhere. Someone I gave it to some who sold it to them or they randomly generated it and waited for an answer and then sold the "live number". Won't the same thing happen to my cell phone? The last thing I want is telemarketer calls/texts on my cell phone and I'm willing to keep my landline number to give out to people I don't really know.
I have had telemarketers call my cell. I dont answer the call if it is a long distance number I dont recoginze. I dont know how they get this info either!

We do have a landline, but I was about to give it up. I was tired of paying out for cells and landline, but talked to my internet/cable company and they had a deal that essentially gave me the landline for a few bucks. I am reluctant to give up that landline for 911 purposes, and my cell does not pick up everywhere in my house. I have dropped calls and have to move throughout the house to get the best signal. PAIN in the rear! Not to mention I get a hand cramp when I talk on the cell too long I have a smaller "dumb" phone
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #34
DVC4FUN
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I haven't had a landline in over 10+ years. So no don't miss it at all! Lol. I have straight talk cell phone unlimited everything (I use the internet on it a lot too) $49 (after taxes) a month. Though thinking of switching to Metro PCs which is a few bucks cheaper. I had Verizon cell forever (well ever since my first cell phone in maybe 1998 or so) but finally got smart and ditched them a couple years ago when the again added more fees.
DVC4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #35
beavismom
*~*~*~*A tag full of gecko pixie dust!*~*~*~*
Spread the Spirit of Christmas (and popcorn) on The DIS!

Doh, wrong thread.
beavismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #36
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

My Niece regrets not having it. When her house ended up burning to the ground because they used the cell phone to call 911 and her call was routed to another county. The fire chief told her not to rely on a cell phone in an emergency because cell phone calls get routed to the nearest tower and if that tower is busy it can get bumped to another tower which is what happened to both 911 calls they made.

Her house fire started out small but by the time the got routed to the correct 911 dept it was too. Late.

Same thing happened to a friend who was on the turnpike and tried to report a drunk driver. He was driving in Ohio but his call went to a 911 dept in PA. I know in this situation he had no choice but it was just another incident that shows that cell phone calls can get miss directed.

SO paying $30 a month is an insurance policy for us.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #37
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
My Niece regrets not having it. When her house ended up burning to the ground because they used the cell phone to call 911 and her call was routed to another county. The fire chief told her not to rely on a cell phone in an emergency because cell phone calls get routed to the nearest tower and if that tower is busy it can get bumped to another tower which is what happened to both 911 calls they made.

Her house fire started out small but by the time the got routed to the correct 911 dept it was too. Late.

Same thing happened to a friend who was on the turnpike and tried to report a drunk driver. He was driving in Ohio but his call went to a 911 dept in PA. I know in this situation he had no choice but it was just another incident that shows that cell phone calls can get miss directed.

SO paying $30 a month is an insurance policy for us.
When did those events happen? I heard that they now use your phone's GPS system to help pinpoint your location.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #38
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

I have "heard" even if you do not have home phone service if a phone is plugged into the jack, you can still dial 911. Don't know if its true but I am investigating dumping my home line, so i am going to look into this.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #39
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Don't miss it at all! DW gets her calls and I get my calls. No more handing off the phone and no more checking messages when you get home.

We had pretty bad cell reception in the house, but then I added a network extender that carries our cell phone calls over the Internet.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #40
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

We like not having a land-line. It would always ring during my music lessons and it would drive me batty! And my husband would never pick it up, which would drive me even MORE batty. At least with my cell phone I can silence it when I don't want it to disturb me

And we're saving money, too, which is good. I honestly don't feel the need to have one.

Planning a trip for 2015. Not sure where to stay yet.... probably either BC or the Poly Villas if they're done by then
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #41
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

We have a security system that uses its own cell receptor through ADT.

Haven't had a landline in several years.

I know it works because I was attempting to test the smoke detector and it dialed the fire dept. had a truck outside in 5 minutes.
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #42
3angelsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Don't the telemarketers eventually just get your cell phone number?My landline is 85% telemarketers (even though I am on the National and State DNC list ) but they got my number from somewhere. Someone I gave it to some who sold it to them or they randomly generated it and waited for an answer and then sold the "live number". Won't the same thing happen to my cell phone? The last thing I want is telemarketer calls/texts on my cell phone and I'm willing to keep my landline number to give out to people I don't really know.
I *think* there are different regulations for landlines and cell lines. It makes sense because I used to get tons of telemarketers that I couldn't get rid of despite being on DNC, but haven't gotten a single call on my cell - just the occasional random text - in the 2 years I've had it and haven't changed my behavior any (e.g., I give out that # when its required for a survey, online purchase etc)
3angelsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #43
kkandaj
No longer a lurker

We haven't had a landline for several years, but I am thinking about getting one with just basic service--just for 911 service. I have "heard" that if you call from your cell and for some reason it gets disconnected, it would take much longer to locate your address--because they would have to ping the towers, instead of knowing the exact address of your landline. Also with young kids, if something happened to me or their father, it would be much easier for them to go to "the phone" that stays in the same place all the time and call 911, instead of having to search for my cell phone, figure out how to unlock it and call 911.

For some reason, I have really been thinking about this lately. I need to really research this and see if its true. If so, we will be adding a landline, but I think it's only like $8/month if we have nothing added but a basic line.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #44
Lisa71
Adoption Rocks!

Our landline has one phone with a cord in case of emergency. It looks Iike the 911 problem is still there so glad I have it. It is bundled with our wireless for the bill.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #45
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Because I have a network extender, it has its own GPS.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: