Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
platamama
Mouseketeer

I have quartz (Zodiaq) in the kitchen and love it for its low maintenance.

My friend's Corian got ruined when her MIL (who has granite counters) put a hot casserole dish directly on it. The damage was too much to just be sanded out. Boy was she mad, because they had just remodeled that kitchen.

One thing about quartz is that despite its speckled appearance, it really looks "frozen" compared to granite which often has direction or movement in it, so that is entirely a personal aesthetic decision.

There's a huge range in price for granite, there's colors considered lower grade (and even that varies depending on who you buy the granite from) to more pricey and exotic granites. If you go the granite route, I'd for sure go personally to pick out your slab. Other people's version of "oh, that little blemish is no big deal, it's fine" may not be the same as yours.

Through big box stores or well-known countertop businesses around here I'd see prices on the order of $60/sf installed for quartz and granite and it goes up (~$120/sf depending on the grade) from there. You get dinged for sink cut-outs (often $100-$200), sometimes faucet cut-outs, and your edge treatment (usually there are 1-3 edge treatments included with the basic cost) so be sure to ask the cost of those because it adds up. One thing to realize is that the actual cutting and polishing is done by a fabricator and it's they who tell the retailers what they charge for these "extras."

Now, sinks -- you should buy your own rather than go with whatever the countertop people say they have because almost inevitably you can get the same thing on eBay or Amazon for a LOT less, almost 50% less (and you will faint when you see the cost of some of these sinks and the faucets). But get the brand and model# they are offering so you can do an apples to apples comparison (just say you want to look it up to see what it looks like).

A kitchen remodel will take up more of your mental energy and time than you would ever think. I spent hours on the kitchen forum at gardenweb, trying to make sure I thought of everything...and there are still some things I didn't think of and realized after my kitchen was done. The #1 mess-up is that the underside of my countertop that sits on a raised bar didn't get polished, so every time I sit in my family room and look toward the kitchen I can see the rough ugly surface. I just never even thought that that was something I had to ask for! Grr.

That said, have fun with your kitchen remodel! It will be a worthwhile project.
platamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
elcodfish
Mouseketeer

I have Corian with an integral sink. It is great because their are no seams to clean and I put hot stuff on it all the time.
elcodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I've had my Corian for four years now and have had no problem with scratching. I do not put hot pots on it and I don't cut directly on it. I had laminate before, and I didn't do those things with laminate, so it's not a problem for me.

The appeal of quartz I just don't get, although I know it's very trendy now. To me, it's nowhere near as attractive as granite and it's more expensive. I've got granite in my bathroom and the amount of effort required to seal it is nothing. I think it's funny that people make a big deal over that.

For cost and feature comparisons, see http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/kitc...al-comparison/
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Something important about Corian- it is a 1/2" sheet of plastic. (The plastic is referred to as solid surface, and Corian is a specific brand) If they do not mount that solid surface sheet correctly to the substrate (usually just plywood) or don't continuously mount it it can and does crack from heat. Usually the front edge is built up so people think it is an inch or two thick- it's not.

Buying Corian directly from the manufacturer's rep is anywhere from $25-55 per square foot so the color you pick can make a big difference in how expensive it is. Different brands usually run a little less because the Dupont name is better known. They make a quartz composite as well called Zodiac, essentially the look of solid surface made of natural materials and less likely to crack/chip/stain.

I would go with a stone if you don't want to have to worry about manufacturing or how they are going to prepare the material.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
Sam81
Mouseketeer

We wanted a modern look and went with concrete. I think it looks awesome.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #21
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

This is all so very helpful, thanks!!

That link was perfect, much appreciated!

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #22
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

This is the quartz we bought http://www.cambriausa.com/our-collec...ID=Edinburough (click on the picture for a larger image). And in our whole kitchen I can't see a repeat in the pattern. People think it's granite and yet it was cheaper than the granite we were thinking about. We got it from a local place that gave us a free edge, from 9 different edges and we bought the sink from them. We didn't like the faucet choices so we bought our own through Costco.
Swimalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #23
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

We also went with Quartz (Cambria) and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the countertops.

So easy to take care of!

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #24
Snoozan
Really IS a good girl!
Mine was dark brown garbage bag

Another huge quartz(Silestone)fan here. We spent around $4000 for it installed about 4 years ago - we have probably 10' of counter and a 6' 5" peninsula. Can't say enough good stuff about it - easy to maintain and I love the pattern.
Snoozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #25
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

We are selling in a year or two, so I think I am going for a cheap granite. Meaning, the color is not that important to me. They have one at Lowes, it is gray and looks ok to me (white cabinets). I am thinking many buyers are looking for granite, and may not be that familiar with Coriand, quartz, etc.

I will look around those, and price out various options, like Costco and local granite stores.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

We have black soapstone counters and a large island with white granite. I like them both. They both have their advantages and disadvantages and both require a bit of care but I wouldn't do it differently if I had to today.
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #27
TinaElmerRh
Mouseketeer

We got granite counter tops installed in Nov 2012. I love them. When they installed them they told us they had to be re-sealed every year. Has anyone ever done this? It doesn't sound that hard, but after investing so much money I don't want to ruin them.

TinaElmerRh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #28
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I've had my Corian for four years now and have had no problem with scratching. I do not put hot pots on it and I don't cut directly on it. I had laminate before, and I didn't do those things with laminate, so it's not a problem for me.

The appeal of quartz I just don't get, although I know it's very trendy now. To me, it's nowhere near as attractive as granite and it's more expensive. I've got granite in my bathroom and the amount of effort required to seal it is nothing. I think it's funny that people make a big deal over that.

For cost and feature comparisons, see http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/kitc...al-comparison/
Thanks for the link. That is really helpful.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: