Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #76
Eastern
DIS Veteran

I feel like eating pizza. But I will pick it up.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #77
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBandDisney View Post
Please add a tipping board to the Disboards. This is fun reading about all the ways people come up to cover up about being cheap.
bless you.

too many arguments.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #78
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern View Post
I feel like eating pizza. But I will pick it up.
we live about 3 blocks from the place we order from, so we often pick it up... but then we tip the counter girl anyway.

but when we do have delivery, if anyone is driving to our house in the cold weather, getting out of their car and bringing my meal to my door (and now I can have a few beers cause I don't have to worry about driving, and I can stay in my cut offs in the winter, and my mickey socks) that person is worth at LEAST 5 lousy bucks, minimum.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #79
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
Just because you don't want to believe it, the location was in a college town. It was normal for the evening person to go to one dorm or complex with 10-15 deliveries and repeat this 3-4 times per night, then get some normal deliveries. They would be gone for 30 minutes and come back with $30-40 cash tips. That was before they got their hourly pay or the delivery fees. They got a delivery fee for EVERY one, not just the first one or two. So yes, this man did in fact make more there than he did as an engineer. I had two evening shifts there and they were a lot of fun, but was hired as daytime so my job sucked. (even more once I knew what the other drivers made!) Engineering jobs in the area would hire in the $35-40K range at that time.

I am not claiming that this is normal everywhere, but it is why I keep saying I consider things like how busy the place is in tipping.

ETA: I've noticed that in no subtle way, people are using what I said to say I am making it up and to say that I am making excuses not to tip. Your experience being different is not a reason to insult me. Yes, I do tip. I tip people well, but your experience is not the across the board correct answer any more than mine is. The difference is that I stated, up front, that my experience wasn't universal.
yes you are right. there are always "anomalies". we have all heard the story of the the waiter who made more than the owner of the company, blah blah.

the reason those of us in working in "the industry" get upset is this.

people read things on message boards. or SKIM message boards and dont' read everything. they see "Oh! delivery guys get $10.25 and hour"! _"Oh, they make more than IT guys!"

that's all it takes for for cheap people to justify giving a guy a lousy buck for a tip. "I saw it on the internet! they get blah blah an hour and don't use their own cars!.. they make more than I do!"

PEOPLE.. someone is bringing your hot meal to your door.. standing there while you take forever to answer the door.

probably act surprised that they are there!!!!! "gee? so soon? wow.. we are in the middle of a movie.. can you wait a minute?/ um.. honey. do you have money for the pizza???" .....(cause we are SO surprised that we ordered a pizza and it's here...) ok, it's 23.50 ... here's $25.00. sorry, dont' have any other change.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #80
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutie View Post
We tip very well, and often times get many extras. I've also been told that our house get bumped to the top. We rarely have to wait much time for our pizza. In the Chicago area, the drivers drive their own cars and get less than minimum wage, and have to provide their own gas and insurance.

People who don't tip don't realize they are missing out on many perks.

I think that people who don't tip may still have their own money to buy those extras!

I order what I want. I don't leave it up to the pizza place to give me extras.

On top of that, I tip!

Sometimes we will run and get our own pizza, not to avoid tipping or delivery charges. But - we may want drinks that are not delivered, and they are all close to us so we make a couple of stops on those occasions.
Judique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #81
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Tightening our belts has meant we now pick up our own pizza. Adding the delivery charge and the tip just makes it not worth it. Just grateful that at this point we still have carryout in our budget!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #82
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
yes you are right. there are always "anomalies". we have all heard the story of the the waiter who made more than the owner of the company, blah blah.

the reason those of us in working in "the industry" get upset is this.

people read things on message boards. or SKIM message boards and dont' read everything. they see "Oh! delivery guys get $10.25 and hour"! _"Oh, they make more than IT guys!"

that's all it takes for for cheap people to justify giving a guy a lousy buck for a tip. "I saw it on the internet! they get blah blah an hour and don't use their own cars!.. they make more than I do!"

PEOPLE.. someone is bringing your hot meal to your door.. standing there while you take forever to answer the door.

probably act surprised that they are there!!!!! "gee? so soon? wow.. we are in the middle of a movie.. can you wait a minute?/ um.. honey. do you have money for the pizza???" .....(cause we are SO surprised that we ordered a pizza and it's here...) ok, it's 23.50 ... here's $25.00. sorry, dont' have any other change.
I remember the stupid people. I always read boards like this and think about what I am reading and weigh the information, so I sort of forget that other people don't so much. I just like to know things, so I find outlying situations interesting. I am also terrible with words.

If it helps any, even though I consider issues like the distance and how busy the person is, I start with the assumption that I need to give more and sort of adjust down for crazy things. I would consider delivering to me and 4 of my neighbors in one trip a reason to round down, rather than assuming you are doing so if there is no evidence to support it. We can only order after our 4 year old is sleeping (easier not to taunt him with his allergens) so usually our total is around $11 + delivery fee so we would hand over $20. I don't expect them to come with change and I have to round by $10's because that's generally what I carry on me. Unless some complete jerk comes to my door I end up rounding up to give at least $2, so for $15 to get $20 but if my total got above $18 they would get $30. The place is 1.5 miles away but I know I'm their only stop and my kids get to stay in bed. We certainly don't order enough to be marked as any type of tipper.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #83
DisneyEater
Mouseketeer

http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/wh...173851199.html
DisneyEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #84
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyEater View Post
That's terrible! Not even $1 a pizza?
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #85
NYCDiane
DIS Veteran

There was a story on the morning news show today. A company ordered over $1400 in pizza and only tipped the delivery guy $10. CRAZY!!! This delivery guy had to carry in probably 100 pies to these people, got them there on time and in good condition and they only gave him $10.

Sickening!!!
NYCDiane is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: