Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #16
cglaura
I still love the smell of Love's Baby Soft

I like Defender so far. I have tried both Norton and McAffee (McAffee was old computer though).

I have read good things about it and it has caught/stopped some malware so far.

I know nothing is 100% foolproof, just my experiences.

I have never tried Kapersky.

** Note on my original post. My suggestion was to uninstall McAffee and re-enable Defender....not to have no protection at all. But I'd wait to see what fix HP does. McAffee might not be the problem. Norton just happened to be mine (I mean huge, almost in tears, ready to return problems same as you).

** Note 2: This only applies to Defender on Windows 8. All previous versions are a different beast (not a full protections suite).

Here are some links on Re-enabling and general info:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20202...windows-8.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20131...-security.html

These are just for informational purposes. I'm sure there are negative reviews out there as well. But mine have been all positive so far (4 months).

The hardest thing about having a plant-based only lifestyle is waking up at 5am to milk the almonds

************************************************** ****************************************

The pessimist complains about the wind... The optimist expects it to change... The realist adjusts the sails.

************************************************** ****************************************

A clever person turns great troubles into little ones... and little ones into none at all.

cglaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #17
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
So you are saying when I get the computer back to not install any anti virus software? Won't my computer get viruses? I get McAfee for free with my internet provider.
Yep pretty much... Win 8 comes with Defender as part of the OS. Once you uninstall the HP preloaded antivirus you will get a bubble popup saying you are unprotected and to click on the bubble. This will show you how to turn on Defender. This is your anti-virus and malware. It is a very good program and quickly being adopted by large organizations because it runs natively and auto updates when windows itself updates. I have been using it for years and have been super happy. As said by others, push for a new machine. They would love to fix yours and send it back as they would have to sell it to somebody else as a refurbed computer but you don't really know what is wrong with it. It could be an OS install problem or a hardware problem. Good luck.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Thanks for everyone's help.

I thought about it and I don't want to go through this again if they miss something on this computer and have to send it back a second time. I will call and tell them I want a new tower.

Loosing my computer while they fix it is annoying. If they miss something or think they found the problem (but there's more than one thing wrong) then I will have to be without a computer a second time.

So far the reviews on this model have been very positive. I think I just got a lemon.

I guess I will give Defender a try.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #19
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Phoned and talked to the same person at HP and he assures me they will open it up and do a full diagnostic on it.

I just hope everything works great because I will be extremely if I have to send it back a second time.

Setting up the computer takes time. Along with not having one while they muck with it.

I'll update when I know more. Should have the box to send it back to them tomorrow.

How do I go about deleting anything they shouldn't have access to? Passwords, etc. Just thinking about all this is making me sick.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #20
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I have the computer back now!

They replaced the hard drive and the motherboard. Also says they replaced the tattoo motherboard? Never heard of a tattoo motherboard.

Who ever was setting the computer back up forgot to add in the free games so HP is sending out some disks and will help me load them on if I need help installing.

Still the computer has trouble when I leave a tab and go back it sometimes is blank (white). I have also had it say This page cannot be displayed and Internet Explorer stopped working. So far it is better than before but still not great.

So far I have removed Norton and reinstalled McAfee - not sure how to turn on Defender. Still having trouble remembering how to change the sleep mode!

I reinstalled iTunes and will have to add my files from the flash drive as everything was wiped off when they replaced the motherboards and hard drive.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel
I have the computer back now!

They replaced the hard drive and the motherboard. Also says they replaced the tattoo motherboard? Never heard of a tattoo motherboard.

Who ever was setting the computer back up forgot to add in the free games so HP is sending out some disks and will help me load them on if I need help installing.

Still the computer has trouble when I leave a tab and go back it sometimes is blank (white). I have also had it say This page cannot be displayed and Internet Explorer stopped working. So far it is better than before but still not great.

So far I have removed Norton and reinstalled McAfee - not sure how to turn on Defender. Still having trouble remembering how to change the sleep mode!

I reinstalled iTunes and will have to add my files from the flash drive as everything was wiped off when they replaced the motherboards and hard drive.
Glad you got it back. I hope it doesn't give you further grief. I would keep a close eye on it. Of you have any little issue, call HP. You shouldn't be having any issues with a brand new computer. The issues usually start a year or two down the road. . It confuses me on why they didn't just give you a brand new computer to begin with instead of all the repair work they did.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I got the back up disks last night but I haven't had time to look at them yet.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
nd5056
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
... It confuses me on why they didn't just give you a brand new computer to begin with instead of all the repair work they did.
It's called the profit margin.

When they repair your PC or even replace a part that failed, like Hard Drive or Motherboard, they replace it with "Recertified", not a New part. Read the fine print...

Recertified = they have many returned PC's they can't sell as "NEW" anymore, or some that were replaced because of problems with some working components in them. the parts are Free for them.

Last edited by nd5056; 03-07-2013 at 09:24 AM.
nd5056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #24
squirrel
DIS Veteran

It's doing it again!

I haven't even had it back for a week and it started off small again with giving me messages that Internet Explorer stopped working, the white webpages and then just frozen webpages (not as bad as the whole screen freezing, but still annoying) and then last night it went to a dark screen and I couldn't get anything to work so I shut it down.

I've had more than enough with this computer. Re-setting it up each time takes hours. I haven't even bothered to see if the disks contained the games that were suppose to be on the computer.

Does anyone know how to turn on Defender with Windows 8? That will save me a step as I won't even bother adding McAfee next time.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #25
squirrel
DIS Veteran

HP is taking it back to the shop for repair again. I hope this is the last time it needs to go in. They better get it working properly.

I will be without a computer again for a week. So not impressed!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #26
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Yep, I've asked for a supervisor to arrange a return. I was suppose to get a call on Friday, called again today. Was told it takes 24-48 working hours. So maybe someone will call tomorrow.

Problem is all the information (data) from my old computer is now on this one. I have no way of storing it other than to buy an external hard drive. I don't want to have to spend $60 or more for something that I won't use again.
Actually you may use an external hard dire more than you think. I have several and one of them is for info that I keep on it that I don't want on the computer. Hook it up only when I need the info.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #27
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
You should tell them you want a new box, not having yours repaired. If it hasn't worked right from the start, you should demand it. If they won't, then see if you can return it.

I would disable the Widows 8 Defender. Then install your own Internet Security software. I recommend Kaspersky. I find it better than McAfee and Norton. I don't have a Windows 8 machine, so I have limited experience with it. Maybe the Defender software is good. Not sure.
Another vote of love for Kaspersky; that piggy-backed with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will kill just about any nasty.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #28
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
HP is taking it back to the shop for repair again. I hope this is the last time it needs to go in. They better get it working properly.

I will be without a computer again for a week. So not impressed!
Can you get them to re-image it to Windows 7? Windows 8 has not impressed me thus far.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #29
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote

Can you get them to re-image it to Windows 7? Windows 8 has not impressed me thus far.
Windows 8 is good. It is just that it is a change from the traditional Windows Start menu. I think people just have to learn how to use it. When I first started using windows 8, I hated it. But within a couple hours of playing around with it, I actually prefer it to windows 7.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #30
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I bought a Flash Drive for about $12 and stored the information on it.

Knowing the computer, I didn't put the Flash Drive back in as I wanted to make sure it was working before spending more time adding on anything other than a good Anti-virus program.

I should have the box and label to return it at my house today.

Does anyone know how to turn Defender on, with Windows 8?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: