Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #2776
Branabb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
Just curious...has anyone done Synergy in science or Everyday Chemistry lately?

Looking at these 2...SiS for my youngest and EC for my 2 oldest kiddos!
I don't know anything about Everyday Chemistry, but my son did Synergy in Science last October. He was 7 at the time. He loves science. I thought the class was pretty interesting , but he lost interest after the Spaceship Earth part of the tour (except for the rides)which is the second thing you do.

But don't be dissuaded, he just already knew the info they were discussing, and wanted to get to the rides. They basically show you how they used a combination of different "sciences" to create things at Disney like animatronics, 3D movies, and the tour ends at the Journey to Imagination ride where they will use "synergy" to create a final project.

They show you how they make the fake skin for animatronic animals and people, then how 3D movies are made. The class gets to a do little "experiments" for each topic which is just like what you would do in an elementary science class. Most of the kids in the class really enjoyed it.

I can share some pics from the class. Just PM me if you are interested.
Branabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #2777
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Can anyone remember when the fall Homeschool Days program was announced last year? The year before?

I'd like to start planning our fall trip. It would be great if we can hit Homeschool Days this year, but that's tough to do without knowing the dates lol. There's a Disney Dream cruise special that ends on the 15th. We were considering a four night cruise plus a few days at Disney but if we go that route I need to book it soon. ADR windows are opening for September also, so I'd really like to pin down my dates ASAP.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #2778
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post
Can anyone remember when the fall Homeschool Days program was announced last year? The year before?
i'd like to know also
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #2779
Ariel8676
DIS Veteran

Has anyone taken the principles if animal behavior class?? How was it??
Ariel8676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #2780
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branabb View Post
I don't know anything about Everyday Chemistry, but my son did Synergy in Science last October. He was 7 at the time. He loves science. I thought the class was pretty interesting , but he lost interest after the Spaceship Earth part of the tour (except for the rides)which is the second thing you do.

But don't be dissuaded, he just already knew the info they were discussing, and wanted to get to the rides. They basically show you how they used a combination of different "sciences" to create things at Disney like animatronics, 3D movies, and the tour ends at the Journey to Imagination ride where they will use "synergy" to create a final project.

They show you how they make the fake skin for animatronic animals and people, then how 3D movies are made. The class gets to a do little "experiments" for each topic which is just like what you would do in an elementary science class. Most of the kids in the class really enjoyed it.

I can share some pics from the class. Just PM me if you are interested.
Thanks for the info! my little guy will have just turned 6 when we go. I hope he likes it. Pix. would be great!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #2781
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

we tried some classes a few years back, my kids weren't impressed.... what was advertised at their age level was described as 'lame'.... anyway...I'd like to try the program again..... but how is the quality for high school level? I'd love it if we could find something suitable..... what are the high school level classes like? any experiences here? I'm not looking for harsh coursework or anything, just teaching on a level that teens are comfortable with....any experiences appreciated! I'm thinking either open enrollment,or homeschool targeted stuff.....
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #2782
Massillon Dad
Mouseketeer

Is YES offered beginning of FEBRUARY each year

for open enrollment we are looking @ 2-2014
Massillon Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #2783
DawnM
Dawn

You could also attach yourself to the Carolina Homeschool Group. Their dates/prices/info is already up.

They are going the 3rd week of November.

Unfortunately, that is a week later than we can go, but might be useful to someone.

You do NOT have to live in SC to participate. There are people as far away as Canada who have gone with that group.

http://carolinahomeschooler.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post

I'd like to start planning our fall trip. It would be great if we can hit Homeschool Days this year, but that's tough to do without knowing the dates lol. There's a Disney Dream cruise special that ends on the 15th. We were considering a four night cruise plus a few days at Disney but if we go that route I need to book it soon. ADR windows are opening for September also, so I'd really like to pin down my dates ASAP.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #2784
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
You could also attach yourself to the Carolina Homeschool Group. Their dates/prices/info is already up.

They are going the 3rd week of November.

Unfortunately, that is a week later than we can go, but might be useful to someone.

You do NOT have to live in SC to participate. There are people as far away as Canada who have gone with that group.

http://carolinahomeschooler.com
Thanks for the information. I'll bookmark it for future reference. This year we can't go that late. We were hoping for September. I've already booked a cruise for 9/15 so maybe we'll be able to find something either right before or right after -- if not homeschool days then we'll consider another YES program if there's something we're interested in.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #2785
Cierese
Mouseketeer

Has anyone received a message like this?? This was sent from conventionplus. I'm thinking its the company that processes the credit cards to pay for the YES programs. I had called yesterday and spoke with Tina and she told me to call another number... I left a voicemail. This morning this is the mysterious email I got. I'm NOT comfy calling a cell phone to give them my payment info. What's that all about?

Disney Request

Dear Cierese... if you could please call me on my cell phone. I believe you also left a voice message with a special need working with Amanda.
407-625-4944. Thank you, Dave

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

October 2015 - TBA
June 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Caribbean Beach Resort!
Oct 2013 - Old Key West and POP!
July 2011 OKW - Big Family Vacation
Nov 2009 All Stars Music - Thanksgiving!
Sep 2004 Off Site -- Jun 2004 Off Site
July 2003 Off Site OIF Welcome Home Trip
Apr 1995 Don't Remember - Magic Music Days -Yes, I was a band geek!!!
Cierese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #2786
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cierese
Has anyone received a message like this?? This was sent from conventionplus. I'm thinking its the company that processes the credit cards to pay for the YES programs. I had called yesterday and spoke with Tina and she told me to call another number... I left a voicemail. This morning this is the mysterious email I got. I'm NOT comfy calling a cell phone to give them my payment info. What's that all about?

Disney Request

Dear Cierese... if you could please call me on my cell phone. I believe you also left a voice message with a special need working with Amanda.
407-625-4944. Thank you, Dave

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone
When you say you called yesterday, did you call Disney first? If so, they do not handle the YES program for individual enrollment directly. Convention Plus is the company that handles the program, and Dave is an employee of theirs. When I called Disney about the program I was also given their number and left a voicemail message. Dave called and I spoke with him - no email.

I would not be comfortable giving payment info to anyone on their cell, either. You never know what lies a person will make up for money, and Dave has been mentioned enough around here for someone to make up a story. Even though you did just call and everything is likely legit, I would call the main number again and let them know why. I don't understand why you got an email instead of a phone call.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #2787
Cierese
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcthree View Post
When you say you called yesterday, did you call Disney first? If so, they do not handle the YES program for individual enrollment directly. Convention Plus is the company that handles the program, and Dave is an employee of theirs. When I called Disney about the program I was also given their number and left a voicemail message. Dave called and I spoke with him - no email.

I would not be comfortable giving payment info to anyone on their cell, either. You never know what lies a person will make up for money, and Dave has been mentioned enough around here for someone to make up a story. Even though you did just call and everything is likely legit, I would call the main number again and let them know why. I don't understand why you got an email instead of a phone call.

Yes, I called Disney first. In fact, I also sent an email to an addy I'd corresponded with in the past. The lady at Disney gave me the # (I'm guessing it was for Convention Plus), I left a message. I do remember it was a lady on the voicemail message. It's just funny that NO ONE except for Tina at Disney and the obvious voicemail I left knew I was even attempting to call. I'm going to call them again tomorrow morning as its too late today. I will not call a cell number, I just thought it was a strange email that I received this morning. Why on earth would someone even suggest I call a cell # and its weird that they'd do that kind of work outside of the office.....

October 2015 - TBA
Old 03-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #2788
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cierese

I will not call a cell number, I just thought it was a strange email that I received this morning. Why on earth would someone even suggest I call a cell # and its weird that they'd do that kind of work outside of the office.....
The only thing I can figure is that maybe he is working from home. I still think it's odd that he didn't just call you after you left the message. You did leave your phone number, right? Lol!
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #2789
Cierese
Mouseketeer

Yes, I did leave my number, but not my email address in the voicemail. The email I sent was to YES.... I will try to call again this week.

October 2015 - TBA
Old 03-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #2790
TEK224

Never gets tired of hearing "You're going to Disney again?!"

I was looking at the Individual YES Programs for a 14 & 16 year old. We're going in August and the choices are limited. It states that those 13 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Since they are older, I would not have to do the program with them, but must remain in the park while they are in the program. Must I purchase park tickets through YES for myself if I'm not doing the program? I have an AP and don't need a park ticket for myself. But when I try to purchase the program for the kids, it automatically adds the ticket for me. Any way around this or would I need to call?

Also, do the premium tickets work the same as regular Dis tickets, i.e. if I get a 4 day premium, I can use that for 4 days to enter the main parks and then still have options left for water park, DQ, golf, etc.? How many extra options are available on the premium tix?

Thanks!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: