Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #166
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
This is hard, no doubt about it. The best thing you can do is stay informed. It is a furlough. Worst case scenario, it lasts until the end of September. Normal pay, workdays will resume 1 Oct. It is very possible this will be over long before fall. Hang in there. I understand your frustration. We are affected, too.
If they start at the end of April like they are saying, 22 days at 1 day a week goes at least until the end of October.

The stupid thing is, my husband is an electronics instructor on an army base. They have these army trainees here, they have to pay them while they are here, but will I guess have to give them 3 day weekends and have them stay longer so its not really saving them very much money...or train them less effectively.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #167
psimon
Will travel for turkey legs!
Welcome to the money pit

But DoD is special.

If you look at the current Continuing Resolution that is moving through Congress, it is 269 pages long. The first 226 pages are DoD related. The rest of it deals with the rest of Government.

Shows how important the rest of us are!

---Paul in Southern NJ
and (Grandma & Grandpa) 8/14 DCL Fantasy 7N Western and BLT, 8/13 Hawaii/Aulani and DL/VGC, 8/12 DCL Dream 5N / BLT, 8/11 AKL-K, 11/10 AKL-K, 11/09 AKL/BCV, 11/08 OKW, 11/07 OKW, 11/06 OKW, 11/05 DL, 11/04 OKW & DCL, 11/03 RPH OKW, Dolphin, 11/02 DCL 7D EASTERN, 11/01 OKW, 11/00 OKW, 11/99 SoG, 11/98 SoG, 11/97 SoG, 11/96 BI, 11/95 WL, 11/94 PO-R, 11/93 YC, 11/92 Poly, 11/91 Poly, 09/90 Poly, 12/89 GF, 08/88 Poly, 11/87 Poly, 11/86 Poly

psimon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #168
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimon View Post
But DoD is special.

If you look at the current Continuing Resolution that is moving through Congress, it is 269 pages long. The first 226 pages are DoD related. The rest of it deals with the rest of Government.

Shows how important the rest of us are!

---Paul in Southern NJ
I thought this was a pretty good summarizing article: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/06/po...ing/index.html

Still, you're right. It doesn't address anything other than defense. And I was under the impression even if they pass another CR, the sequester cuts will still happen as they're two separate issues. Is that right?
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #169
psimon
Welcome to the money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post
I thought this was a pretty good summarizing article: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/06/po...ing/index.html

Still, you're right. It doesn't address anything other than defense. And I was under the impression even if they pass another CR, the sequester cuts will still happen as they're two separate issues. Is that right?
You are right about the sequester. It is specifically written in to the CR.

I'm paraphrasing... it says something along the lines that everything in the CR should go forward as planned except if there is a sequester which supersedes anything in the CR.

---Paul in Southern NJ
and (Grandma & Grandpa) 8/14 DCL Fantasy 7N Western and BLT, 8/13 Hawaii/Aulani and DL/VGC, 8/12 DCL Dream 5N / BLT, 8/11 AKL-K, 11/10 AKL-K, 11/09 AKL/BCV, 11/08 OKW, 11/07 OKW, 11/06 OKW, 11/05 DL, 11/04 OKW & DCL, 11/03 RPH OKW, Dolphin, 11/02 DCL 7D EASTERN, 11/01 OKW, 11/00 OKW, 11/99 SoG, 11/98 SoG, 11/97 SoG, 11/96 BI, 11/95 WL, 11/94 PO-R, 11/93 YC, 11/92 Poly, 11/91 Poly, 09/90 Poly, 12/89 GF, 08/88 Poly, 11/87 Poly, 11/86 Poly

Old 03-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #170
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucigo View Post
If they start at the end of April like they are saying, 22 days at 1 day a week goes at least until the end of October.

The stupid thing is, my husband is an electronics instructor on an army base. They have these army trainees here, they have to pay them while they are here, but will I guess have to give them 3 day weekends and have them stay longer so its not really saving them very much money...or train them less effectively.
The federal government works on a fiscal year of 1 Oct to 30 Sept. The sequester only covers FY 2013. It will not go into October 2013 at all because 1 Oct 2013 begins FY 2014.
Basically the information is this: The furlough will last for not more than 22 days, distributed between late April and the end of September.

I totally understand this is frustrating. Having as much accurate information as possible will help. Keep in mind, too, that it's very possible this whole thing will blow over sooner rather than later. (I tend to think that long lines at the airports and/or flight cancellations starting in April will force some sort of sequester end, but that's just my personal opinion.)

Most agencies agree that the sequester isn't really money saving. It is a waste of time (lots of hours spent in forced contingency planning), and is distracting hard working people from being able to give 100% to the jobs they were hired to do.

All we can do is hang in there, get through it. It is a headache.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #171
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The federal government works on a fiscal year of 1 Oct to 30 Sept. The sequester only covers FY 2013. It will not go into October 2013 at all because 1 Oct 2013 begins FY 2014.
Basically the information is this: The furlough will last for not more than 22 days, distributed between late April and the end of September.

I totally understand this is frustrating. Having as much accurate information as possible will help. Keep in mind, too, that it's very possible this whole thing will blow over sooner rather than later. (I tend to think that long lines at the airports and/or flight cancellations starting in April will force some sort of sequester end, but that's just my personal opinion.)

Most agencies agree that the sequester isn't really money saving. It is a waste of time (lots of hours spent in forced contingency planning), and is distracting hard working people from being able to give 100% to the jobs they were hired to do.

This is another issue for us....we have flights scheduled to Orlando in April. If I had known about all this we would be driving. I worry about the lines with a child with autism, and about our safety in the air with air traffic controller problems. Surely I'm not the only one who is thinking this is going to be a huge problem.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #172
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucigo View Post
This is another issue for us....we have flights scheduled to Orlando in April. If I had known about all this we would be driving. I worry about the lines with a child with autism, and about our safety in the air with air traffic controller problems. Surely I'm not the only one who is thinking this is going to be a huge problem.
Lots on your mind, no doubt about it. If I had flights in April I'd do a couple of things. First, check the reservation regularly. (Every couple of days or so.) If you do find a change or problem, call the airline, work with them on a solution. Second, plan to get to the airport plenty early. Enjoy a meal (or ice cream ). And about the safety issue--I believe air traffic controllers do work hard to keep us safe. That would not worry me.

These are just my thoughts, hope they help.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #173
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Lots on your mind, no doubt about it. If I had flights in April I'd do a couple of things. First, check the reservation regularly. (Every couple of days or so.) If you do find a change or problem, call the airline, work with them on a solution. Second, plan to get to the airport plenty early. Enjoy a meal (or ice cream ). And about the safety issue--I believe air traffic controllers do work hard to keep us safe. That would not worry me.

These are just my thoughts, hope they help.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #174
psimon
Welcome to the money pit

Went to the Post Office and picked up my official furlough letter.

Isn't it nice the government had to spend more money on postage! (money they don't have).

---Paul in Southern NJ

Old 03-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #175
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimon View Post

Isn't it nice the government had to spend more money on postage! (money they don't have).

---Paul in Southern NJ
I am so, so sorry. DH has not received his letter yet, but there was a furlough calculator sent to him yesterday and we found out that he will lose over $700 a paycheck, so $1400 a month minimum. Even though we are trying to prepare as best as we can, it sure is hard to stay positive. Praying for all of those affected by this and for the leaders to come together and get it resolved. Praying for a real fix to the problems, not just putting bandaid over the issues leaving us to deal with this same situation for years to come.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #176
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimon

---Paul in Southern NJ
Praying this ends quickly for you Paul. I can imagine it royally sucks
Old 03-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #177
psimon
Welcome to the money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Praying this ends quickly for you Paul. I can imagine it royally sucks
Thanks...

Sadly I suspect there is no motivation on either side to get this resolved.

If something unfortunate happens to people and there is great injury or heaven forbid death, watch how fast things change. I am thinking of the agencies that really keep danger in check, such as air traffic control, meat inspectors, etc.

Time will tell how this plays out. Meanwhile I will contemplate what to do with my newly acquired free time!

Maybe calculating retirement is what they want me to do!

If the furlough rates become permanent (As in the new norm) I would take home more in retirement than as working.... how warped is that!

Heaven knows, my high 3 isn't going up any time soon.

---Paul in Southern NJ

Old 03-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #178
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

Quote:

Most agencies agree that the sequester isn't really money saving. It is a waste of time (lots of hours spent in forced contingency planning), and is distracting hard working pe
ople from being able to give 100% to the jobs they were hired to do.

In fact the 'sequester' goes 10 years into the future-fical 13 accounts for 85 billion of a total of 500 billion over 10 years. The way its being managed now is deliberate designed to cause as much pain as possible because with the intent for the backlash against Republicans to be such that they would cave in on additional tax increases-the White House failed to plan for the fact that the American people would blame them equally. DOD could meet the entire needed cut by just cutting the M1 tank,the Litoral Combat Ship and the F35-and those would be real cost savings not smoke and mirrors. Unforunately the sequester legislation and other legislation do not allow them to do that.
One of the most offensive things about the furloughs-this adminstration claims to support our veterans-but introduced, supported and signed this bill which hurts many many. A large portion of GS civilian and contractors who will be impacted by furloughs are Vets. Services in military hospitals will be cut or delayed do to furlough. the whole thing is disgusting, even if you arent a goverment employee.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #179
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

The Veterans Affairs Administration is exempt from the furlough.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #180
psimon
Welcome to the money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
.... One of the most offensive things about the furloughs-this adminstration claims to support our veterans-but introduced, supported and signed this bill which hurts many many. A large portion of GS civilian and contractors who will be impacted by furloughs are Vets. Services in military hospitals will be cut or delayed do to furlough. the whole thing is disgusting, even if you arent a goverment employee.
I wouldn't put this completely on the backs of the Democrats. It takes two to tango. The other side isn't innocent in this mess.

There are many on the elephant side that said it was a good idea to let this happen and had no intentions of stopping.

Bottom line.... EVERYONE is to blame for this because of their lack of work (like leaving Washington knowing this was about to happen) or care. Each side wanted this so as to make a point.

We'll see how important that point is if someone is hurt by this physically. Heaven knows millions are being hurt by it financially and emotionally.

That people in this group are talking about, at a minimum, cancelling their Disney trips because they can't afford them will have a ripple effect. Less visitors means less Disney employees working, less buying cars, food, carpet, etc.... and then their are those, some of which that are here that live from check to check and are really going to be hurting.

This will do more damage to the country then leaving things the way they were.

Let's hope we can all get through this as painlessly as possible.

Sorry.... had to vent!

---Paul in Southern NJ

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: