Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
djmeredith
DIS Veteran

Flat Tire Question

This is budget related because it may cost me to replace the tire. A few months ago I had my tires rotated at the place I bought them (complimentary service). The next morning one of the tires was totally flat. Took it back and they said that sometimes happens when you rotate the tires from back to front. I questioned that but paid for a new tire. Today I had tires rotated again and now one of the front tires is completely flat again!! Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

I have never heard of that happening. My husband and I (along with our extended family) have been rotating tires on our cars for years and none of us has ever had that happen.

Me-29: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
ashlansmom
Mouseketeer

Never heard of this before and have had my tires rotated plenty. I would find a new place. Possible they can see you coming now and know you will buy a new tire. Is this a place recommended to you by others? I would ask your friends where they recommend and where they have had good service. Good luck! So sorry for that expense, tires aren't cheap!!
ashlansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

DH works on cars and worked as a service consultant for Saturn. His brother is a mechanic.

There is NO reason for that to be happening. He used the phrase "scamming people" when thinking of your tire place.

To me, it sounds like they aren't doing a good job sealing the tire back into the wheel. In that case, how are they justifying a new tire? What's WRONG with the old tire; what did they tell you?

I'm assuming that you aren't really savvy in car stuff? If so, do you have someone in your life who is? Take them with you. Sadly, this works especially well if you are female and bring a male to the place. Mechanics often/sometimes will tell untruths to those they feel don't know any better, and all it takes is a different voice for the truth to come out. DH has saved coworkers (all female) 1000s of dollars simply by getting on the phone with the mechanics. It's amazing how the diagnosis of car problems will change when they hear his voice on the phone.

(I once had car problems and the mechanic was NOT listening to me. Was scoffing at me when I tried to make the noise. I called my stepdad, 2 states away, told him what was happening and made the noise. Put him on the phone with the mechanic. Stepdad told them what was happening and made the noise. The mechanic was able to hear it then, and fixed the problem. )

By the way, no, this tire issue has never happened to me.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Derby4me
Mouseketeer

Have you looked at their profile on the better business bureau? Does not sound right at all. I would ask to talk to a manager and explain this has happened twice and that you need for them to provide a new tire free of charge. If they did not comply, I would contact the BBB. Regardless, I would find a new tire company. Never had that happen to my tires.
Derby4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
midwestdee
Mouseketeer

Is this place part of a chain or franchise? If so - copy your documentation and contact them - you can begin with an email to corporate. If you aren't happy with the response, send a certified letter to the appropriate corporate department. Contacting the BBB is a great idea. If you have a decent state attorney general, I would file a complaint there too. This is totally a scam and you shouldn't let them get away with it.
midwestdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmeredith View Post
This is budget related because it may cost me to replace the tire. A few months ago I had my tires rotated at the place I bought them (complimentary service). The next morning one of the tires was totally flat. Took it back and they said that sometimes happens when you rotate the tires from back to front. I questioned that but paid for a new tire. Today I had tires rotated again and now one of the front tires is completely flat again!! Has this happened to anyone else?
I had a horrible time with new tires that I purchased from Walmart. They weren't cheap either. I went to Walmart here in Canada because it was convenient.

I went back 6 times for leaky, flat tires!
I was furious. They tried telling me it was a rim issue (Alloy rims) a sensor issue, tire rotations, the way I was driving....
I missed work, was late for work, missed an important business meeting because of this...

Finally I told them they needed to fix the problem by noon or I wanted a call from their district manager. I was done with the excuses and crappy service.

They ended up replacing the o rings and valve stems for a 7th time..this time to a more expensive one..not the cheap ones they kept putting on. AND they refunded my money.

Since they installed the new valve stems...I think they were all metal?? There has not been a problem.

If they wouldn't have been so cheap in the first place and put the proper stems on then none of this would have happened.
Family Adventures Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Cocoa Beach/Daytona/ Texas/ St Thomas USVI/ Cuba/ Belize/ Jamaica/ Bahamas/ St Maarten/ Cozumel/ Costa Maya/Puerto Vallarta/ Honduras /Dominican Republic / Cayman Islands & Many...MANY Disney Land trips & Most recently Sailed the Disney Magic

vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I'm queen of flats and mine never have done this.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Tina
Tagless and bitter about it but apparently only thing I hate is when I 'spring a wire. ;-)

I rotate my tires with every oil change and this has never happened to me. It sounds like this "complimentary" service is not working out to your advantage. I'd try some place new.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
djmeredith
DIS Veteran

I am female, and don't know anything about cars. BUT I am also an attorney who is not going to be paying for a new tire tomorrow based on these responses! Cars are the one area in life where I am truly ignorant and rely on others with knowledge and experience. My Dad (who's not mechanically inclined either) recommended this place and we've been using them for a while now. I was willing to give them the benefit of doubt the first time it happened, but twice is unacceptable! And it is a tire store chain.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

sounds fishy. also the last time i had a tire that could not be fixed (because often if its a tiny hole they can patch it) they replaced my two front tires, but let me know i could not replace just one. so i am not sure how each time you have had a flat and only need to replace the one.

i would go in and ask them to show you where and how it is flat. my mechanic did this for me and explained exactly why it couldn't be patched. its too late but after the first time i would have marked my tires to make sure they weren't putting someone else's flat on my car and keeping your good tire on hand.

as a woman a good mechanic is just as important as a good hairdresser
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
djmeredith
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the responses (forgot to say that earlier)! I have a fabulous hair stylist, so now I just need to find a good mechanic. lol
djmeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Was there actually a puncure hole in the tire or did it just go flat. Like PP said it could be that they are not sealing the tire to the rim properly! I would not chance it, and take my car to another place and have them look over your tires. Hate for you to be out on the highway and have a tire give out.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
djmeredith
DIS Veteran

My dad took my car in for me today because I had to drive out of town for work. It was literally freezing rain when my uncle changed it so he just threw it in the trunk, and I forgot to remind Dad to check it before he dropped it off to look for obvious signs of a problem. They called and said there was a nail in it. It was under warranty so they repaired for free and also repaired the lug bolt my uncle broke for free. However, I do not trust them and will not be using them again! Thanks again for all the advice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: