Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
eandgsmom
Earning My Ears

Clothing

Do men wear pants to dinner every night or can they wear khaki shorts and a polo shirt? I know on the formal and semi formal that they're dressed up but was wondering about the other nights. Thanks!
eandgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandgsmom View Post
Do men wear pants to dinner every night or can they wear khaki shorts and a polo shirt? I know on the formal and semi formal that they're dressed up but was wondering about the other nights. Thanks!
The suggested dress code from DCL says "no shorts, tank tops, bathing suits for dinner". There are those who choose to disregard this request.

From the DCL site:

Question
What should I wear to dinner?
Answer
Dining Dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements. Here's a breakdown of these events by cruise itinerary.

On 3-night cruises:
"One cruise casual nightno shorts, swimwear or tank tops
"One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
"One "dress-up night"jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

On 4-night cruises:
"First night: cruise casualno shorts, swimwear or tank tops
"One "dress-up night"jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
"Final night: cruise casualno shorts, swimwear or tank tops

On 7-night cruises:
"First night: cruise casualno shorts, swimwear or tank tops
"Three additional "cruise casual" nightsno shorts, swimwear or tank tops
"One formal and one semi-formal nightformal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress; semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit.

Dress code at Palo on all cruises:
"Men: dress pants and shirt or jacket
"Women: dress or pantsuit
"Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes

Dress code at Remy on all cruises:
"A tuxedo or jacket (sports or suit jacket) is required with dress pants for men. Ties are optional.
"A cocktail dress, pant suit or skirt/blouse is required for women.
"Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

For cruises that request formalwear attire, Guests can pre-order tailored formalwear rentals and have it delivered directly to their staterooms upon arrival. To learn more, visit Cruiseline Formalwear.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
tessa67
Mouseketeer

That info can be found here:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...dining-attire/
tessa67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Others have posted the dress code rules. I always wear pants in the MDRs for dinner. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing shorts for dinner, but some men did. Some also wore their Nascar hats while they ate.

Enjoy your cruise.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

DCL specifically asks for no shorts in the dining rooms.

However, according to most reports, this is not enforced.

Palo and Remy are for the most part enforced.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
eandgsmom
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone! I knew what DCL states but I was just wondering if people followed the rules or did their own thing. Also, I'm trying not to over pack for DH!
eandgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I knew what DCL states but I was just wondering if people followed the rules or did their own thing. Also, I'm trying not to over pack for DH!
Do you follow rules?

Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

Quote:
Also, I'm trying not to over pack for DH!
The nice things is, if you're only going to be in slacks for dinner and you usually don't make a habit of running a post-dinner 10k before having a mud fight, you can totally get away with one pair of long pants per cruise, two if you're fancy and want both black and tan.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Do you follow rules?
I would say they are more "guidelines" then rules just like the pirates code. You can follow them any way you wish and they will not ask you to leave the dinning room. Except for Palo and Remi

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
I would say they are more "guidelines" then rules just like the pirates code. You can follow them any way you wish and they will not ask you to leave the dinning room. Except for Palo and Remi
Yes, there is not much (or any) enforcement, but DCL's own wording says "Dining Dress requirements ". Sounds like DCL feels it's more than a guideline.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, there is not much (or any) enforcement, but DCL's own wording says "Dining Dress requirements ". Sounds like DCL feels it's more than a guideline.
True but have you ever read anywhere either on the Dis or another board where someone was asked to leave the main dinning room because they had shorts on?

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
True but have you ever read anywhere either on the Dis or another board where someone was asked to leave the main dinning room because they had shorts on?
I agree that there's no enforcement of it. Possibly DCL is relying on "Personal Responsibility" for enforcement?

If I go to a land based restaurant that has dress requirements, I dress accordingly. On a cruise I do the same.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree that there's no enforcement of it. Possibly DCL is relying on "Personal Responsibility" for enforcement?

If I go to a land based restaurant that has dress requirements, I dress accordingly. On a cruise I do the same.
Going to a restaurant on land and on a cruise are very different you don't normally have to pack other clothes with you when you go to one.

- Walt Disney
Old 03-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan

Going to a restaurant on land and on a cruise are very different you don't normally have to pack other clothes with you when you go to one.
Exactly. When I'm paying $25/bag for checked luggage, packing two complete outfits for each day is ridiculous. I've dined at restaurants far nicer than the banquet setup on a cruise ship in shorts or jeans, I don't get dictating the dress code for MDR when I've spent thousands to cruise and have very limited dining options onboard.

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
tajz90
Mama D

You'll be surprised by the amount of people who get upset about shorts in the MDR, but think its ok to walk around open decks/clubs with alcohol you carried on. One is a suggestion, one is a rule.

Hey, if he wants to wear shorts, awesome, go for it. My husband wears jeans most nights and feels comfortable in them.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: