Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
meb51
Mouseketeer

Mass at the Vatican

Has anyone tried to do mass at the Vatican when they were in Rome on a Mediterranean cruise? We will be docking in Citavecchia around 7:15 AM on a Sunday. I was thinking of doing a Rome on your own tour where the bus just drops you off and picks you up. I'm not sure what time the bus leaves but I assume it is pretty early. Has anyone tried this? If so, would you share your experience? I know that there are several places at St. Peters where mass is held at different times in the morning and that it is tradition for the pope to appear on the balcony at noon on Sundays. (I also know that you have to be really careful about pickpockets). Does anyone have any thoughts?
meb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

I have done mass both inside and out. No problems with pickpockets for me. Obviously more intimate inside but outside mass was a cool experience. Make sure you go inside to see the pieta! I didn't do do it via dcl
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
ItAllStrtdWAMouse
Fan for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb51 View Post
Has anyone tried to do mass at the Vatican when they were in Rome on a Mediterranean cruise? We will be docking in Citavecchia around 7:15 AM on a Sunday. I was thinking of doing a Rome on your own tour where the bus just drops you off and picks you up. I'm not sure what time the bus leaves but I assume it is pretty early. Has anyone tried this? If so, would you share your experience? I know that there are several places at St. Peters where mass is held at different times in the morning and that it is tradition for the pope to appear on the balcony at noon on Sundays. (I also know that you have to be really careful about pickpockets). Does anyone have any thoughts?
There is always a Mass going on at the Vatican. Their will be at least one occurring in either a chapel or the main basilica (near the chair of peter). Sometimes there are multiple masses occurring. Until you have been there you can't imagine the scale.

You can spend multiple days there and not see everything. The best thing at the vatican is the Scavi tour, but it is closed on Sundays. http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/in...090216_en.html
Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Mass schedule at the Vatican

From a cruise ship with only a few hours in port, I would not recommend attending Mass at the Vatican. There are simply too many other things to see and do at the Vatican and other places in Rome.

The Mass schedule for St. Peterís is available here: http://www.vatican.va/various/basili...gica/orari.htm

The Masses are mostly in Italian with one Mass in Latin. Most weekday Masses are at side alters, while Sunday Masses and Holidays are mostly at the main alter.

When you have more time, I would recommend the English Mass at the church of Santa Susanna, the American Catholic Church in Rome. After the Tuesday evening Mass, you can collect pre-reserved tickets for the Wednesday Papal audience. This is another Must-See in Rome, but you canít do this from a cruise ship.

The best I can recommend is while touring St. Peters is to pause and reflect a few minutes. Perhaps you may recognize of few words of a Mass is in progress. Then continue on with your busy schedule. Come back again when you have more time.

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Google Translation of Mass schedule

http://translate.google.com/translat...gica/orari.htm

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: