Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
m1ckeym0use1
Mouseketeer

We went last year out of Seattle, and the verandah was double the price, so we booked an inside room (we lucked out with a free upgrade to a port hole). Spent the money we saved on some really nice excursions.

We spent almost all of Tracy Arm day on deck 4. It was misty much of the day, so deck 4 offered some cover from that. Also, way up towards the front, warm air was coming out of the hallway (laundry exhaust maybe?) which helped keep us warm.

Another option.... get an inside room near the 'secret' deck at the rear of the ship. I think it's deck 7? We went up there when the boat was turning around at the end of Tracy Arm, and we were the only ones there.
m1ckeym0use1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveofgage View Post
Is an inside cabin on the Alaska cruise even worth it or should I just pay for the veranda to
One of the reasons you get lots of different answers is "What is a lot of money". Every person has a different answer to that question, Bill Gates and me would have very different answers to how much money is a lot of money. The other problem is priorities, everyone has a different answer to that question.

What you might ask yourself is "Is the price difference between inside room and veranda a lot of money to me". Is that much money worth the convenience of having my own place to set and see the scenery.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

We were faced with the same decision and went for the navigator's verandah on deck 7 aft. The last thing I want is to regret not having the verandah after spending so much! We have also found that we can do a dog sled excursion at Mt Bachelor during the winter months, so that is at least one expensive outing off the list.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We cruised to Alaska in an ocean view cabin last year and loved it. I could't justify spending an extra $2,000 for a verandah when we didn't plan to spend that much time in our cabin. We loved being up on Deck 9/10 and seeing views on all sides of the ship. I would book an ocean view again in a minute to save that much.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

We never use a veranda. I would rather sun and be on Deck 10.
We prefer the layout of an inside cabin. Plus, the kids like how dark it is.

I sailed with my mom in Sept. She insisted on a veranda. It was ok. But, I did not use it.

My husband understands my math. one cruise with a veranda cabin = 2 cruises in an inside.

We are usually sail twice a year as a family. I , also, get a week cruise by myself for a much needed "mom vacation".
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #21
mmmears
DIS Veteran

For my family it's worth it. We spent a lot of time out on that balcony in Alaska. You can see land (and beautiful waterfalls) most of the time -- and it was so easy to pop outside and take photos.

We took my DM with us -- this was her 3rd time to Alaska by cruise ship and she had never had a veranda room before -- she said it really wasn't necessary. We booked it anyway and boy did she love it -- now she says she wouldn't want to go to Alaska without one.

We would miss it if we didn't have it. But Alaska is amazing, and I think a non-veranda room would be much better than not going on the cruise to Alaska at all.

Is it worth double the price? I guess that's up to you -- how much time do you think you will spend out there vs. up on deck? I can see how some people could use it a lot and others would hardly be in their room enough to make it worth that much.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *

Last edited by mmmears; 03-06-2013 at 02:17 PM.
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #22
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

We have had both verandahs and inside rooms but did an inside room for Alaska. We missed nothing, and in fact seeing the sites up on deck is much better than from you verandah. There are 360 degree views you don't want to miss!! I did not miss anything by having an inside room.
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13 next trips: Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
Stinkerbe11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobofan5 View Post
Verandah!

We have a 2014 Alaska cruise planned and we have an aft verandah right near the 'secret deck 7' and I think being aft, it will be less breezy and all spectacular!

We have had verandahs on all of our cruises and it has made the small space completly livable for our family of 4.

I plan on spending a lot of verandah time.. a lot!

Note: we booked while onboard and got an awesome rate on the room, not like the insane rates that are showing on the website now..
I'm not sure this applies to you but the far aft cat 6 staterooms have a solid wall verandah. My in-laws had one of these booked and changed because the TA told them that they couldn't see anything while sitting down. Depending on how tall your kids are, they may not be able to see over the wall either. Maybe someone who has experience can verify this, but it would be a shame to have a verandah and not be able to sit out and enjoy the scenery.

Wonder Mexican Riviera(2011), Magic Eastern(2012), Wonder Pacific Coast(2014), Wonder Alaska(2014), Wonder Vancouver Repo(2014)
Stinkerbe11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: