Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #31
sanapunk
Kahtkateer
Me number one kite flier!

I guess i should have been a little more specific, a lot of tight and dark spots and a gravel pathway threw a lot of people off. They probably will tweak the course.

Who's the driver of the kaht that's made for you and me? V-A-R-L-E-Y B-A-W-B!!
sanapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #32
Sweetpeamd
Mouseketeer

I have been fighting the urge to start a running habit for years. After listening to the ToT episode, I'm going to bite the bullet and start! I have decided to train for (ultimately) the 2014 Half Marathon. I am so inspired by you and your efforts! Did any of you post on the boards during your training? I would love to hear more about how you trained.

[COLOR="Magenta"]1977-2007 Off Property Visits [COLOR="Lime"]2008 Beach Club [COLOR="Magenta"]2009 Beach Club [COLOR="Lime"]2010 Beach Club Villas[COLOR="Magenta"] 2010 Saratoga Springs 2011 Saratoga Springs2011 BLT 2012 OKW 2012 BLT

Me DH DS12
DD10 DS8 DD6
Sweetpeamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #33
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanapunk View Post
They probably will tweak the course.
Many of the complaints I heard about the ToT 10 miler I heard (and stated) about the inaugural Wine & Dine half and RunDisney did make a lot of good changes for the second year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpeamd View Post
I have been fighting the urge to start a running habit for years. After listening to the ToT episode, I'm going to bite the bullet and start! I have decided to train for (ultimately) the 2014 Half Marathon. I am so inspired by you and your efforts! Did any of you post on the boards during your training? I would love to hear more about how you trained.
Check out the WISH boards. There are threads for every Disney race and many people post their training in them.

If you are just starting out the absolute first step is getting to a real running store, not one of those big box general sporting goods stores. They will take a look at your foot, stride, gate, and make some recommendations based on all of them. A good running store will also have a treadmill in the store or let you go out into the parking lot to do some A/B comparisons. Also, get some proper running socks which means no cotton.

After that just get out there and start. There is a plan called Couch to 5k (C25K)which is exactly what it sounds like. It is designed to get a couch potato to complete a 5k and it is extremely successful.

I would personally also do as much training on the road as you can and not rely on a treadmill. They can have their place, though I despise them personally, but you use your leg muscles differently on the road than on the treadmill and you want to train your muscles the way you will race with them.

Lastly, find a local race and sign up. I think you should get a race or two under your belt at home (even just 5k's) before you do a destination race. You will learn a lot about running in a group and there are a lot of things you just can't learn on training runs like grabbing water at a water stop without slowing down, holding back when the adrenaline of a race situation tells you to go out fast, how to pass runners or be passed by them, and stuff like that.

Good luck.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #34
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
Lastly, find a local race and sign up. I think you should get a race or two under your belt at home (even just 5k's) before you do a destination race. You will learn a lot about running in a group and there are a lot of things you just can't learn on training runs like grabbing water at a water stop without slowing down, holding back when the adrenaline of a race situation tells you to go out fast, how to pass runners or be passed by them, and stuff like that.
Fantastic advice that you're giving with this one. I would also add, it helps to keep people serious about training... perhaps even moreso than just training for a Disney race. One unfortunate mistake I see (well, more precisely hear about) is individuals not taking the training seriously enough, and not really understanding what the experience is going to be like at all.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
DrDoodle
Earning My Ears

Red face

my husband and I signed of for the ToT 10 miler in october. now i just need to get in shape!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #36
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

Can someone tell me which episode was referred to at the beginning of this thread? I'd love to listen to a podcast about the ToT 10 Miler because DH and I have signed up and just started training for it!! I'm super excited but also really nervous because I am not a runner by any stretch of the imagination! We did the EE Challenge last year and used the Couch to 5K program, but this year we are trying Jeff Galloway and I kind of like it better than C25K because it allows a little more flexibility with the run/walk ratios.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #37
DEA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
Can someone tell me which episode was referred to at the beginning of this thread? I'd love to listen to a podcast about the ToT 10 Miler because DH and I have signed up and just started training for it!! I'm super excited but also really nervous because I am not a runner by any stretch of the imagination! We did the EE Challenge last year and used the Couch to 5K program, but this year we are trying Jeff Galloway and I kind of like it better than C25K because it allows a little more flexibility with the run/walk ratios.
It was released 10/3/2012. My wife and I were on the podcast in question, and she started running at around this time last year, and finished the 10 Miler just fine.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: