Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
puppytrainer
Mouseketeer

Timetable of Disney bus transfer back to MCO from terminal

First time cruiser here trying to understand how things work. I am curious as to how late the Disney transfers run back from the port to the airport? We have a 3:30 flight out of MCO and I know debarking is fairly early in the morning. Granted we can go back to the airport right away and sit there for half a day, but first of all people with earlier flights should go ahead of us and second of all, selfishly my thought is to have a little time to visit the Welcome Center if possible. I am trying to figure out if it would be do-able on the day wed go home to pop in and say hi if were taking Disney Transportation.

Since its just myself and my daughter, I was leaning towards Disney transportation instead of renting a car. Still mulling that over. Obviously well have our carryons with us once we get off the ship, but Im not sure yet how checked baggage works&if well have that with us or not as well. Does that depend on the airline?? Can it be taken from the ship to the airport if were taking Disney transportation or does it stay with us regardless? Dont think I want to lug big bags to the Welcome Center and back

So then would there be time to say take a cab to the Welcome Center for a short visit and back before the last Disney bus leaves?? Not sure when wed be taking a cruise again so I wanted to see if I could make it work. Thanks!

Me DD (10)

1999-Port Orleans ~ 2009-Pop Century ~ 2011-Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ 2013-Disney Fantasy-Western Caribbean ~ 2014-AKL/Disney Dream-Bahamas/BCV

Last edited by puppytrainer; 03-06-2013 at 12:42 PM.
puppytrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppytrainer View Post
First time cruiser here trying to understand how things work. I am curious as to how late the Disney transfers run back from the port to the airport? We have a 3:30 flight out of MCO and I know debarking is fairly early in the morning. Granted we can go back to the airport right away and sit there for half a day, but first of all people with earlier flights should go ahead of us and second of all, selfishly my thought is to have a little time to visit the Welcome Center if possible. I am trying to figure out if it would be do-able on the day wed go home to pop in and say hi if were taking Disney Transportation.

Since its just myself and my daughter, I was leaning towards Disney transportation instead of renting a car. Still mulling that over. Obviously well have our carryons with us once we get off the ship, but Im not sure yet how checked baggage works&if well have that with us or not as well. Does that depend on the airline?? Can it be taken from the ship to the airport if were taking Disney transportation or does it stay with us regardless? Dont think I want to lug big bags to the Welcome Center and back

So then would there be time to say take a cab to the Welcome Center for a short visit and back before the last Disney bus leaves?? Not sure when wed be taking a cruise again so I wanted to see if I could make it work. Thanks!
Don't think it would work with DCL transfers.

If you are taking DCL transfers back to the airport you would put your bags out the night before and claim them in the morning in the luggage hall. Schleping all your bags in a taxi just to visit the Welcome Center would be a hassle. You can't leave your bags in the luggage hall, go through customs, tale a cab, come back to terminal, go back in and claim them.

If you participate in the DCL Onboard Airline Check In program, you would take DCL bus back to the airport with just your carryons (your luggage would be transported to your home airport and you will receiving boarding passes in your cabin). If your flight is before 1:00 pm you have to be off the ship by 8:00 am. If your flight is after 1:00 pm you have to be off by 9:00 am with your carryons.

As soon as all the buses leave the port area (about 10:00 ish) to WDW/airport they unload those guests and start to collect the WDW guests going to the ship (about 11:30 or so).

The only feasible way to visit the welcome center would be if you rented a car one way from the port area to MCO. Very simple, we have done it many times.

The car rental offices are Avis, Bugdet, Hertz, Enterprise, Thrifty/Dollar. You would pick up a shuttle at the port that would take you to rental office. Best to have it reserved in advance.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

As MJ stated, if you want to visit anywhere on the way to the airport you would need to do your own transportation (or car service if they'll include a stop for you). DCL transfers run directly from port to MCO, as soon as a bus fills it leaves though the last bus will linger to make sure all passengers are off the ship. So if your interest is simply to not hang at the airport for as long, you could time it to be off the ship around 9:00am - however I'll warn you there is nothing to do onboard that morning other than eat breakfast and you must be out of your cabin by 8:00am.

If you use DCL transfers and are flying a participating airline, you can check your luggage through from the ship. Leave it out the night before and not see it again until you get to your home airport to claim it. But if you do your own transportation you'll need to collect your bags in the terminal to bring them through Customs with you.

DCL transfers are convenient, and for just 2 of you not too expensive. However, you might be able to get a rental for approx. $50 total (taxes, etc.) - look for codes and watch for specials. That would give you flexibility to kill a little time without going straight to the airport.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
puppytrainer
Mouseketeer

Perfect. Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks so much!!

Me DD (10)

1999-Port Orleans ~ 2009-Pop Century ~ 2011-Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ 2013-Disney Fantasy-Western Caribbean ~ 2014-AKL/Disney Dream-Bahamas/BCV
puppytrainer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: