Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #211
Summer Daydream
Mouseketeer

I love the fascinator! It is so vintage inspired and unique. I honestly wouldn't balk at the cost of it, because right now I'm looking at tiaras and veils and they are running me the same price, and in some cases even more. I think that the fascinator fits your theme perfectly. I also forgot to comment earlier, but I love the rings!!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #212
Ashley Marie
Earning My Ears

I've just started reading your PJ... I love that cap/hat/fascinator! What Etsy shop is it from?
Ashley Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #213
Bewitch324
DIS Veteran

Love your invitations and think the rings are magical and unique and very very cool. Not nerdy at all, just really special!! I really like the two dresses for your attendants, I think they will look great together but they're each pretty on their own too.

Can't wait to read more...

Brooke
Bewitch324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #214
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Daydream View Post
I love the fascinator! It is so vintage inspired and unique. I honestly wouldn't balk at the cost of it, because right now I'm looking at tiaras and veils and they are running me the same price, and in some cases even more. I think that the fascinator fits your theme perfectly. I also forgot to comment earlier, but I love the rings!!
Thank you very much for your comment! If I'm thinking about tiaras than the cost really is put into perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Marie View Post
I've just started reading your PJ... I love that cap/hat/fascinator! What Etsy shop is it from?
I totally forgot to post the shop! Oops! Thank you for reminding me. The fascinator is from Agnes Hart on etsy. She has a lot of really unique headpieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitch324 View Post
Love your invitations and think the rings are magical and unique and very very cool. Not nerdy at all, just really special!! I really like the two dresses for your attendants, I think they will look great together but they're each pretty on their own too.

Can't wait to read more...

Brooke
Thank you very much!
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #215
Ashley Marie
Earning My Ears

Thank you for sharing the link to Agnes Hart's shop!

Have you decided if you will be getting the headpiece? It's so beautiful - I'm considering it myself now!
Ashley Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #216
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Marie View Post
Thank you for sharing the link to Agnes Hart's shop!

Have you decided if you will be getting the headpiece? It's so beautiful - I'm considering it myself now!
No problem! Yep, I ordered it and I am very excited with my decision! Can't wait to get it! You should definitely consider it, it's so unique and lovely!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #217
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

One last update before we head off to our planning session...

So one last update before we head off to our planning session. We leave on Sunday on at 6:30am (meaning we'll have to be at the airport around 4:30am - but really make that 3:30am because of daylight savings), the things I am willing to do for Disney! But aside from that I am completely, totally, utterly excited. I still have a few things to pack, and a few things to print out for our planning session, but other than that I am totally ready for this mini vacation and any excuse to get away. Anyway our planning session is on Tuesday (the tasting was cancelled as I suspected it would be, because Monsieur Paul does not hold tastings). And my birthday is on Monday! I am so happy for this vacation.

Okay, now that little squeal moment is out of the way...

Here are the invitations for our At-Home reception. We are finally almost done these and ready to (actually, need to) get these printed out soon. I am debating whether we should go with Staples and totally DIY them or get them printed through Vistaprint for a little more money, but it will save us a lot of work and time with the cutting.

Along with that, half of them have text in Cantonese on the back and the other half have Portuguese. Technically only one person in my family needs to have the Portuguese text (my uncle in Portugal who probably won't attend anyway) but I guess everyone thinks it will be nice to have the cultural touch for our friends, etc. Along with that we designed a map, a schedule of events for immediate family and an RSVP. It's a lot to print and cut.

Now back to the Disney wedding. I started working on our programs.

We are doing a fan style invite (I'm sure our guests will appreciate it for the fanning aspect in mid-July). I'm debating doing a fourth page with something (tidbits, significance of certain elements, a thank you), but I have no idea what I want right now.

Also along with the program, we have pretty much finalized the music. DF and I got into a bit of a disagreement with the music. Basically every time I brought it up it would end with us both angry with each other. (To be clear I am talking about the "seating" songs.) Eventually I solved the problem by disregarding some of the songs I wanted from the beginning. Overall the new selections work well with the locations, the theme and they go very well together. The only downside is there is no sentimentality, they sound lovely but nothing more. Oh well though, that's compromise and I have the processional songs I want, so I am happy about that. The last thing we need is a second recessional song. And to be honest, this is going to be a tough one, it was hard enough to select one.

If anyone is interested I threw together a playlist of the songs in order on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist...

I didn't really announce it, but I did order the headpiece I posted about earlier. Thank you to everyone for your help, it really did help put things into perspective price wise and it's just too unique and special to pass up. Anyway according to the seller it will take 4-5 weeks to make and then a little more time to ship it over. So hopefully I will have it by May at the latest in time for my fittings so I can see whole thing together and still have time to put together a simple veil - i.e. cut a piece of tulle. (The headpiece does not come with a veil.)

I think that's all I have for now. Once I get back from Disney I will do a report of the planning session and post all the cake, decor and floral inspiration images that I will be taking with me.

So excited!

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 04-03-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #218
Bewitch324
DIS Veteran

I really like your at home invites...it might be worth the extra money to get them done at vistaprint so you don't have to cut them out but I think they'll be really sharp looking!

I love the fans so far, I agree that's a great idea for a July wedding!

Enjoy your mini vacation, I look forward to hearing about the planning session!

Brooke
Bewitch324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #219
1000HappyWishes
I know every mile will be my worth my while.

If you do add a foruth section to your fan, I think you might want to consider putting a thank-you and the inspiration behind your wedding. You can point out similarities between your wedding and the inspiration for it. You certainly don't have to do it, but the guests might enjoy that aspect of it.

WDW: 2001, 2003, 2013
Disneyland: 2007
Universal: 2013
1000HappyWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #220
Disneymoon2013
Dec 2013: 1st time to WDW, getting married, & Disneymooning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKittyMarie View Post
We are finally almost done these and ready to (actually, need to) get these printed out soon. I am debating whether we should go with Staples and totally DIY them or get them printed through Vistaprint for a little more money, but it will save us a lot of work and time with the cutting.
If you print through Staples, you should be able to have the invitations cut out, too. Here it's a $2 per cut fee. So, if you only needed the stack cut in half, for example, it'd only cost $2 extra (for all). If you bring your own cardstock, the color copy rate drops significantly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKittyMarie View Post
Also along with the program, we have pretty much finalized the music. DF and I got into a bit of a disagreement with the music. Basically every time I brought it up it would end with us both angry with each other. (To be clear I am talking about the "seating" songs.) Eventually I solved the problem by disregarding some of the songs I wanted from the beginning. Overall the new selections work well with the locations, the theme and they go very well together. The only downside is there is no sentimentality, they sound lovely but nothing more. Oh well though, that's compromise and I have the processional songs I want, so I am happy about that. The last thing we need is a second recessional song. And to be honest, this is going to be a tough one, it was hard enough to select one.

If anyone is interested I threw together a playlist of the songs in order on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist...
We haven't gotten to the music selection for our wedding yet, so I'm confused about this. I'm listening to the playlist in YouTube, but I don't understand which goes for which part of the ceremony. Is there a while of seating music?

The fan invites are cute! Are you using a brad to hold them together? Is that what it's called? A brad? I haven't seen those things in eons. \

I watched "The Aristocats" on Netflix yesterday and fell in love! I can totally see how your whole wedding matches the theme of the film. I agree with the other person on Disboard -- a final panel for the fan would be neat (explaining the concept behind the theme)... unless of course it's already a given for all of your family. I finished our (newer) invitations and thank you cards last night! I need to catch up in my PJ!

HAVE FUN ON YOUR TRIP!
Disneymoon2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #221
cutejellybeen
Earning My Ears

LOVE your dress!!

Love the bridesmaid dresses!!!

I know I dont comment much (if at all) but I think your wedding sounds amazing!!! I can't wait to hear more about it. I love all your personal touches for your guests
cutejellybeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #222
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Planning Session TR: Day One, Pt. 1- Checking into OKW

We are back from our Planning Session with much planning done and all kinds of fun had! And now back to the real world, which means time for a TR to draw out the Disney fun! DF was particularly eager for me to start writing this, to the point where he actually wrote a lot of this.

Day One: Sunday, March 10th, 2013

Spring Break, woo!

After a particularly stressful early morning flight, we boarded Magical Express for Old Key West Resort. This was our first DVC resort and our first time renting points. Almost immediately upon arrival in our room we were dazzled by our spectacular first impression, and were very seriously thinking: "Maybe we really should join DVC!"

I can't say I've ever read amazing reviews of OKW, but I thought the resort looked great. It was bright and fresh, very welcoming, just like coming home. Throughout our trip I found myself making connections between OKW and Caribbean Beach, both positively and negatively. Similar pastel-coloured two-storey buildings clustered together (but somehow slightly more refined), similar bus service, similar foliage, etc. A major difference between OKW and CBR seemed to be the Hospitality House contains everything, as opposed to CBR where things were divided between the Custom House and Old Port Royale. But because OKW is deluxe and DVC there was even more: check-in, library/parlour seating area, the main pool, docks with boat rentals and launches to DTD, Olivia's TS restaurant, CS restaurant, bar and gift shop. Other amenities included tennis courts, arcade, shuffle board, table tennis, bike rentals and more. It's clear that the regular DVC members who call OKW "home" are made to feel like it's home at every turn, though even as non-members we never felt out of place. It needn't be said, but service was nothing but friendly, accommodating and efficient.

I know kids, lets play shuffleboard today instead of Magic Kingdom!

Bell services whisked us to our room in building 52. If CBR has a circular layout, OKW's layout of is three branching clusters of buildings. Our studio room was fairly stunning: very spacious with enough real estate for two full queen beds, a small kitchenette with microwave, coffee-maker, sink and fridge with room to spare. Our small terrace overlooked a golf course making it, probably, the best view we've ever had at Disney (AKL notwithstanding). And it's definitely bigger than all the rooms we've stayed in at WDW, and that includes standard rooms at deluxe resorts.

This was the very peak of our love affair with OKW, and, like an episode of the Twilight Zone, where everything is just a little too perfect and you just know that something bad is going to happen, things were about to go downhill. After literally two minutes from our arrival, there was a knock at the door. A smiling plumber entered and informed us that the drain for the tub was clogged, and after fishing around, he snagged a fistful of soggy hair. As he was leaving he told us he'd be back to replace the broken blow dryer. First impressions are one thing, though, and OKW's flaws continued to reveal themselves with time. We cleaned ourselves up and made our way to EPCOT for some good eats at the Flower & Garden Festival.

First flaw: Bus service to the parks from OKW is fairly inefficient. There are five stops--Penninsular, South Point, Turtle Pond, Miller's Road and Hospitality House--and the buses always stop in that order. The layout of the resort necessitates the bus to travel down a "branch," stop for pick up, turn at a roundabout and re-trace its path. We were at South Point, and the three subsequent stops added a good fifteen minutes to each bus trip. I'd also note that construction at OKW had the bus redirected to make the loop back to South Point by going through the parking lot directly in front of our room. Yeah.

That being said, despite it being peak season the bus was never full and we never had to stand, no matter the time of the day. Even immediately after Wishes, when all other resort buses were packed solid, everyone headed back to OKW had a seat on the bus.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #223
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitch324 View Post
I really like your at home invites...it might be worth the extra money to get them done at vistaprint so you don't have to cut them out but I think they'll be really sharp looking!

I love the fans so far, I agree that's a great idea for a July wedding!

Enjoy your mini vacation, I look forward to hearing about the planning session!

Brooke
Thank you! We decided to go ahead with the vistaprint. We ordered them before heading to Disney and they arrived while we were away almost a week earlier than expected! Great experience and I'm glad we decided to go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000HappyWishes View Post
If you do add a foruth section to your fan, I think you might want to consider putting a thank-you and the inspiration behind your wedding. You can point out similarities between your wedding and the inspiration for it. You certainly don't have to do it, but the guests might enjoy that aspect of it.

Those are some wonderful ideas! I love both ideas and I think I may try to make them both happen on a fourth section. Thank you for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymoon2013 View Post
If you print through Staples, you should be able to have the invitations cut out, too. Here it's a $2 per cut fee. So, if you only needed the stack cut in half, for example, it'd only cost $2 extra (for all). If you bring your own cardstock, the color copy rate drops significantly as well.

We haven't gotten to the music selection for our wedding yet, so I'm confused about this. I'm listening to the playlist in YouTube, but I don't understand which goes for which part of the ceremony. Is there a while of seating music?

The fan invites are cute! Are you using a brad to hold them together? Is that what it's called? A brad? I haven't seen those things in eons. \

I watched "The Aristocats" on Netflix yesterday and fell in love! I can totally see how your whole wedding matches the theme of the film. I agree with the other person on Disboard -- a final panel for the fan would be neat (explaining the concept behind the theme)... unless of course it's already a given for all of your family. I finished our (newer) invitations and thank you cards last night! I need to catch up in my PJ!

HAVE FUN ON YOUR TRIP!
That is a good tip about Staples, I didn't know about that. The seating music is for before the actual ceremony begins, as the guests arrive and take their seats. The planning kit our planner sent us for the planning session recommended 4-5 songs for the seating/pre-ceremony. Thank you for the compliment on the fan! I think we'll probably just punch a hole and use a ribbon. Maybe I'll put in an eyelet or grommet, I'll need to do a test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejellybeen View Post
LOVE your dress!!

Love the bridesmaid dresses!!!

I know I dont comment much (if at all) but I think your wedding sounds amazing!!! I can't wait to hear more about it. I love all your personal touches for your guests
Thank you, thank you!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #224
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Planning Session TR: Day One, Pt. 2 - EPCOT F&G Festival

Planning Session TR: Day One, Part Two - Epcot Flower and Garden Festival

As all of you know, we received our two complimentary Annual Passes from DFTW after signing our LOA. We decided to use only one of the vouchers this trip and save the other for another trip down the line. I didn't realize that the actual Annual Pass was printed on paper, making it more cheap feeling than the actual voucher. And because DF was using his ticket through his room key card, I quickly discovered that using different kinds of passes is a little bit of an annoyance. There were times when CMs wanted him and I to split up because the plastic cards have been implemented into the new system and the paper tickets (including apparently APs) have not. One CM in particular at DHS really wanted me to get in a huge line with my fellow lesser paper-using Disney guests () meanwhile DF had zoomed off towards the new plastic-only line-free system. I had none of that.

As soon as we were in EPCOT, we went to Guest Services and purchased a Tables in Wonderland card for $100, which quickly paid for itself during this trip alone (and will pay for itself again at our rehearsal dinner). The AP discount on merchandise saved us a bunch too, as soon as I remembered to use it.

Anyhow, flowers! Greenery! Spring! Blooming! Photosynthesis! The Flower & Garden Festival! The topiaries and flowers are beautiful, but the main attraction for us was the food - it was like attending F&W lite, I'm guessing. If they continue to showcase food as well as gardening (we live in an apartment, so really this isn't much of a draw), we definitely will be back. Also, we've only ever been to the World Showcase in the summer, and with the heat, our globe-trekking zeal putters out around Italy, so it was nice to be able to take a leisurely stroll, seeing things we'd otherwise pass by. And the eating!

Oh yeah, that's a keeper.

I am officially very, very jealous of everyone who gets to get married at this time of year. The weather is gorgeous!

Anyway, even before we reached Mexico, we stopped at the Florida Fresh stand for a delicious cold/hot punch of watermelon salad and shrimp and grits. The watermelon was fresh and sweet, and the addition of pickled red onions added another depth of sweetness. The titular shrimps atop the titular grits were perfectly cooked, very tender and sweet. A great start.

Our Yeti tagged along again.

Next we stopped in Mexico for a crab tostada. The fresh lump crab was tossed with cilantro and (mild) green chilies and came with a wedge of lime for added acidity. The tostada was crispy and not greasy at all. It was a pleasure to eat.

Our appetites momentarily abated, we headed to Maelstrom over in Norway. Can I take a moment to appreciate this mural?

It's pretty majestic. What exactly are those two guys doing up front and center?

China was next, and we opted for a peach oolong bubble tea. If you live in a cosmopolitan area with a Chinese community, bubble tea is fairly common. In our area, bubble tea shops are like bars, where young people gather to drink tapioca-infused concoctions, chat and play cards for hours on end. We know and love bubble tea, and this bubble tea was a disappointment. The peach syrup was too thick and sweet, and the bubble tea is normally served with thick bubble tea straws so you can suck up a piece of tapioca. Instead, we were given a thin straw and a spoon. The thin straw frequently got clogged with a piece of tapioca, so it was not very tasty and difficult to drink. Take a pass.

There's always time to stop and pet a panda

I skipped food in Germany, but DF went for a "German meatloaf" sandwich, essentially pureed meat on a roll with sweet grainy mustard and deep-fried shallots. According to DF, there were a lot of powerful flavours, except for the meatloaf, which faded to the background. More miss than hit.

In Italy we only stopped for a photo.

Classic!

Things got back on track in Japan, with a delightful frushi, with a raspberry coulis doubling as the soy sauce and whipped cream subbing in for wasabi. We chased it with a delicious glass of peach sake. Too bad you can't find the stuff in Canada (the country or pavilion.)

We also made a stop in at Mitsukoshi and saw the candy animal lady for the first time ever. She is really spectacular!

Fastforward...

I am ready for our DP!

We had an ADR at Garden Grill, so we began to slow down with the eating, but we saved the best for last: Pineapple Promenade just outside the Canada pavilion. There are those who will tell you that the Dole Whip with spiced rum is just Dole Whip with spiced rum. Actually, it's literally just that--a cup of Dole Whip with a shot of rum on top--but that's ignoring the essential alchemy of taking something awesome and adding another awesome thing to it, thus making the sum better still than its already awesome parts.

Between this part of the day and our Garden Grill ADR we still had a lot of hours and a quickly depleting supply of energy. We did our best to make it on to some rides and do some shopping, and we may or may not have popped into Mouse Gears to make this happen...

Anyway, as I mentioned in my Site Visit TR, we love Sunshine Seasons. Our enthusiasm for Garden Grill is considerably lower. It's a family-style meal, where they'll keep bringing you more helpings if you ask (and without the guilt trips I get from my real family) though we were stuffed without having to ask for more. The meal begins with warm egg bread and maple butter.

I don't know if I was starving, or what, but these were delicious!

I was really looking forward to the salad--a basic tossed salad with a sliced hardboiled egg and a mild creamy dressing--because the vegetables at the Land are always exceptional, but it was a little overdressed. The mains were fine with the tender and flavourful filet of beef and mashed potatoes as the standout, a tilapia filet with ratatouille as the fair offering, and dry roast turkey as the letdown. And that's exactly the order in which they were plated, too. Mains come with a bowl of mac 'n' cheese topped with goldfish crackers.

Speaking of letdowns, the restaurant usually rotates slowly, but the rotary mechanism was on spring break too, so no turning on this day. And, no, were weren't at the tables facing out onto Living with the Land ride, but at least we weren't at the tables facing out into the waiting area, where your sloppy table manners are on public display for an entire meal, and the guy who's been waiting an hour for his pager to blink keeps suspiciously eyeing your mac 'n' cheese.

The meal ended with a mixed berry cobbler baked in a skillet, topped with vanilla whipped cream. The whipped cream had flecks of black, so you could see they stripped a real vanilla bean, and you could taste it, too; it was easily the highlight of the meal. The cobbler, on the other hand, tasted like the blueberry muffin I bought from the airport coffee shop earlier that day.

Our view for the night along with Mickey propping us up to keep us from falling over in total, utter exhaustion.

Overall, I'd say that there isn't a dish at Garden Grill I'd want to go back and order, let alone sit through an entire meal's worth of other stuff to get. And it's expensive. With TiW, the bill for two diners (with two alcoholic drinks) came to just under $100, so I'd only recommend it if you're on the dining plan, and even then I'd recommend Sunshine Seasons downstairs first.

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 03-19-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #225
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Oh! You started your PS TR! How awesome!

I'm sorry your trip thusfar has been such a mixed bag. Hopefully it gets better.

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: