Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
amyh1028
Earning My Ears

Best Place to Celebrate a 1st Birthday?

Last year we were booked into Disney long before the date for the new Fantasy Land was announced. We were very disappointed to have to cancel our trip last December even though it was for a fantastic reason, and the day we were scheduled to arrive at Disney, my son made his entrance in our lives

I promised my 10 year old DD that I would reschedule our trip this year. We are booked into AoA just in time to celebrate my son's 1st birthday! I was looking for some suggestions on the best place to celebrate. I was thinking Chef Mickey's since we had such a great time there a couple of years ago but have read some crummy reviews so now I am rethinking that. Does anybody have a better idea?
Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
TwinkleKS
Mouseketeer

Celebrate at least twice in the same day if not all week long! Book a character breakfast and supper. For instance Tusker House and Chef Mickey's, or 'Ohana. That is my suggestion.

For our DD's, we did breakfast at Crystal Palace, lunch at CRT (this was when we had cake, etc.) then supper at Chef Mickey's.
TwinkleKS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Crystal Palace (with Pooh and friends) is also a fun place to celebrate, as is any meal in the castle at CRT.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Manders77
Mouseketeer

Daughters first birthday we did Crystal Palace. 2nd Birthday we just took her to MK. 3rd Birthday we had to cancel character breakfast due to a death in the family. Characters were very lovable. My son's first birthday was at Chef Mickey's for breakfast and dinner. We also took my daughter on her 4th birthday to breakfast at Cape May and Dinner at Chef Mickey's. At this time we lived in Orlando so my kids went all the time- but character meals were for special times.
Manders77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

For my son's 1st birthday we went to Cape May Cafe for breakfast, and as we were also celebrating my birthday, we went to 'Ohana for dinner. The whole trip was really for our birthdays though. We just designated those two as our birthday meals, but it could have just as easily have been any of the others.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Love Tusker house

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
pigletat100acres
Earning My Ears

I would pick based upon his favorite characters - but any Disney spot would be special! Also, if he hasn't had a hair cut yet, they do a great job with kids and their "FIRST" haircut and the barber shop on main street!
pigletat100acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
amyh1028
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletat100acres View Post
I would pick based upon his favorite characters - but any Disney spot would be special! Also, if he hasn't had a hair cut yet, they do a great job with kids and their "FIRST" haircut and the barber shop on main street!
Hmmm if we are getting close to needing a haircut I will hold off for our trip then...thank you so much!

I know they have a seperate cake thread here and I've been looking through it but it looks like most people do not enjoy the super expensive cakes they buy at Disney. I was thinking of ordering a cake somewhere else, maybe just having it in our room. The thought of spending $100 on a cake just makes me cringe. Plus if we are eating at Chef Mickey's or Crystal Palace there will be a buffet with dessert anyway.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyh1028 View Post
Hmmm if we are getting close to needing a haircut I will hold off for our trip then...thank you so much!

I know they have a seperate cake thread here and I've been looking through it but it looks like most people do not enjoy the super expensive cakes they buy at Disney. I was thinking of ordering a cake somewhere else, maybe just having it in our room. The thought of spending $100 on a cake just makes me cringe. Plus if we are eating at Chef Mickey's or Crystal Palace there will be a buffet with dessert anyway.
We just got the basic chocolate cake, I think it was around $30. Ds really liked it.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
NJAmanda
Mouseketeer

We ordered my daughter a cute individual pink cake with a white chocolate castle on it for her first birthday last year. The kids had a blast eating it and it wasn't that expensive. Maybe around $. All four of our kids ate it and it was enough for them to have a fun dessert. I found it in the cake thread as well! Have a great time!

Next trip April 20, 2013- Port Orleans French Quarter
NJAmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I would stick with Chef Mickey's for the character interaction. If you don't expect too much of the food, you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

because of the age...I would say...Crystal palace for any of the meals...the characters are easier for that age...maybe put in a dvd at home of Winnie the Pooh...and then your little one will get used to seeing those characters...
We loved the food and are going back in may with four adults...it is a fun place to go..

they would bring out a cupcake with a candle on it...

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

I like Chef Mickey's for a first bday. Fab 5!!!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
Eliza'sMom
Mouseketeer

I don't know ... A character meal at 1 could be wonderful or a total disaster. My 1-year-old is terrified of the characters. We ate at BOG on her 1st birthday and she about climbed out of her high chair when the Beast walked by. A full-fledged character meal would have been torture for her.

Our Disney trips together:
October 2005: Honeymoon at CSR December 2006: Got a pin code we couldn't resist and headed to POFQ June 2007: Big family vacation off-site December 2007: Babymoon at POFQ December 2009: Ellie's first trip, our first trip as DVC members at BWV April 2010: Mike's 30th and Ellie's 2nd birthday celebration at Pop/AKV September/October 2010: BWV for MNSSHP and Harry Potter April 2011: A week at Jambo House before Ellie turns 3 May 2012: Back to AKV for baby's 1st trip to Disney! Nov/Dec 2012: Our first Disney cruise! Plus AOA, BLT and BWV -- whew! October 2013: Fall fun at Jambo House March/April 2014: Spring break at BWV/VWL
Eliza'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: