Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
The problem with the busses at OKW is depending on where you get on, it seems to take forever just to get out of the resort. There are 5 total stops.

You can walk or boat from BW to either Epcot or DHS. Nothing beats leaving Epcot and be able to be back at your resort in 5 or 10 minutes.

I've stayed at both. OKW is great for a quiet laid back vacation. If you want to be "in the middle of the action", Boardwalk is the best.
I disagree on the buses,

Whether it 5 stops in or out, the overall bus service is great.Mush better then the box resorts when more then 1 resort is on 1 bus route.

I do agree if you want a box resort and boardwalk noise, thats the place. However the over quality of OKW out shines BW anytime!
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
patty57
DIS Veteran

What is a "box resort"?
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
Epcotgal
Mouseketeer

See, we all have different tastes. I like being in a more enclosed resort that I can get breakfast or go to the lobby without going outside if I don't want to like WL, AKL. BC, YC, BWI... Have stayed at the Poly and GF and other seperated building resorts while I enjoyed them we didn't like fighting the rain to get to the main building.
Epcotgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #19
dp911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey
While I do love OKW, especially the bigger units, I'd still pick the BWI Boardwalk view room. A balcony overlooking the Boardwalk is my favorite spot in all of WDW. I'm willing to give up my jacuzzi tub to have it.
This I love it, beautiful view can't be beat imo
dp911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #20
dp911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper

No question about it,OKW is so much nicer and classier then BW. The design and layout, rooms are tops. The landscaping and pools are a wonderful combination of active and qiuet.

The bus service is the best at WDW and there is boat service to DTD.

If you want a box biulding resot,then you may like BW. If to want a qiuet, just a bit slower paced resort..then OKW is without question the place to be.

AKK
Okw classier than BWI? Not to me. Okw is nice but bwi is such a beautiful resort.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #21
dp911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper

I disagree on the buses,

Whether it 5 stops in or out, the overall bus service is great.Mush better then the box resorts when more then 1 resort is on 1 bus route.

I do agree if you want a box resort and boardwalk noise, thats the place. However the over quality of OKW out shines BW anytime!
I stay water view and never heard noise. I have stayed at both and quality must be different to different people.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #22
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
I disagree on the buses,

To each his own. I've stayed at OKW several times and always rented a car because I didn't want to be stuck with the busses everywhere. At least at BW you can walk to Epcot and DHS or boat. I usually drive to AK, DTD.

I've never found BWV rooms noisy. I've been woken up early at OKW by lawnmowers on the golf course.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #23
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
To each his own. I've stayed at OKW several times and always rented a car because I didn't want to be stuck with the busses everywhere. At least at BW you can walk to Epcot and DHS or boat. I usually drive to AK, DTD.

I've never found BWV rooms noisy. I've been woken up early at OKW by lawnmowers on the golf course.
at OKW, we've been awakened by people going to the busstop, guests arriving "home" at 5AM and after midnight to the resort (parking is outside of units, so we were awakened by slamming car doors and trunks, loud "did you get the xx?!!!!" at all hours). also, strolls around the resort involved inhaling too much bus exhaust for me (note that we despite SSR having a similar set-up, we found it much more serene).
we've never been awakened by noise at the BWI or BWVs, and particularly like waking up to Spaceship Earth, sleeping to fireworks bursting over the Eiffle Tower, rather than views of cars.

there is a plethora of do/see options at the BW, as well as incredibly quiet choices (favorites are being able to have a grey goose slushie at EPCOT, watch a show on the BW or at DHS, dine out, play mini-golf - all spur of the moment and all within minutes). OKW really is very pretty and the rooms are large, but we just don't feel giving up all the many active and inactive options BWI/BWV have to offer is worth the trade-off. (something to consider regarding "beauty": how many people day/night visit the BW, or GF, poly, etc, just to stroll around, dine, and enjoy the atmoshere?)

everyone is different however, but hopefully seeing the good and not-so-good of each resort will help you pick the one that best suits you.
enjoy

Last edited by LSchrow; 03-03-2013 at 09:07 AM.
LSchrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
TEK224

Never gets tired of hearing "You're going to Disney again?!"

I've stayed at both (although SSR is my home resort). I've been happy with each resort I've stayed at. I think it depends on what you want to do while on vacation. If I'm there to relax and maybe just do a couple park days, I'll stay at OKW or SSR. I love the Millers Road area of OKW for the quiet pool. It's great for swimming laps and not crowded. I erally enjoy eating at Olivia's, too.

If I'm taking others and we want to do the parks a lot and different restaurants, I like BWV or BCV. I also like that after a night of fun at Jellyrolls, I can just walk to my BWV instead of having to drive somewhere else.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #25
Zuzer
Earning My Ears

We've been Old Key West members since 1992. I prefer to stay there over any other resort. It's beautiful and comfortable. Once we got used to the spacious accommodations, there was really no other choice.

DVC Member since 1992
Zuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #26
madelyn
DIS Veteran

For a couple, I would have to say the Boardwalk Inn room. I have stayed at OKW...in a studio for part of my honeymoon and in a 1 bedroom with family. Have only stayed in the BW Villas section in a standard view 2 bedroom w/ family but I have stayed at the Beach Club (hotel room) with hubby only. I just love the location of the Epcot resorts and the ability to walk to two parks. But I have probably never been so in awe of a Disney resort (and this includes a big king bed room at the Grand Floridian main building) the moment I walked into an Old Key West 1 bedroom unit. The space was incredible! The space and full kitchen and washer dryer were awesome for a family! But like I said before, BW Inn room for a couple unless you will be staying a really long time, then the kitchen, jacuzzi tub and washer dryer and extra space in OKW might win me over. My husband and I were just talking about how the Boardwalk resort itself was not that impressive to us. We weren't crazy about the pool or the rooms but the location just can't be beat!
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #27
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at both and I have enjoyed both.
I love the Epcot Resorts location. I love walking to and from 2 parks. We often eat dinner in a WS restaurant after a day at a different park. The activity on the Boardwalk is nice to experience, but it wouldn't be the draw to get me to stay there.
OKW is lovely. A very different feel. It is quiet and more laid back. The porches are so big and relaxing with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.
The one bedroom units are really large - the largest one bedrooms on property. I like the themeing as well.
Will you have a car or are you relying on Disney transportation? Even if you are, I did not find it a problem at OKW.
Since you are used to a 1 bedroom at Bonnet Creek, I think you would enjoy OKW.
Tough decision, but each is a good choice in its own right.
Enjoy

Tags
boardwalk inn, old key west

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: