Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Disney testing iPod Touch at entrances

Quote:
Visitors to the Magic Kingdom in Central Florida will notice that Disney has done away with turnstiles completely at the park's entrance. Instead, visitors are greeted by the company's "cast members," holding iPod touches in their white-gloved hands.

The change is part of a larger initiative by Disney known as "MyMagic+," which has the ultimate goal of making the company's theme parks even more convenient and inviting for those who attend.
For more, http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...les-ipod-touch
Old 03-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

That's how that scanned my AP two weeks ago.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

interesting!!
i'd love to see a picture/video of people going through the entrance, as i'm having trouble understanding what keeps people out if there are no turnstiles..
Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
interesting!!
i'd love to see a picture/video of people going through the entrance, as i'm having trouble understanding what keeps people out if there are no turnstiles..
I was wondering the same thing!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
interesting!!
I can almost guarantee that this won't last long. From what I understand, there are cast members there. If they don't see the green light when you wave your ticket in front of the machine, they will ask you. I am sure some people will try and confuse the cast member or in some way overwhelm the cast member so others can sneak by. I haven't seen this in person, but I have my doubts.

Also, what's to stop me from loaning out my AP to a friend and having him or her go through?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
gigi from canada
Earning My Ears

We were there for the last 9 days and went through these entries. They can do 2 at a time. Only adults need to give the thumb print along with waving their card. Kids only needed to wave their card until the Mickey turned green.
gigi from canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
stormer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell*
That's how that scanned my AP two weeks ago.
Same here
October 1994 Port Orleans / October 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / October 1999 Off site / October 2004 Contemporary Resort / October 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / August 2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ October 2008 Old Key West / February 2009 Polynesian Resort / August 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ February 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / August 2010 Bay Lake Tower / February 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / August 2011 Boardwalk Villas / August 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ February 2013 Coronado Springs / August 2013 Boardwalk Villas / February 2014 Coronado Springs
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
stormer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi from canada
We were there for the last 9 days and went through these entries. They can do 2 at a time. Only adults need to give the thumb print along with waving their card. Kids only needed to wave their card until the Mickey turned green.
We didn't have to give our thumb print. They just scanned the AP with the iPod, kind of waved it by the camera lens, and let us right in. Quick and easy.
October 1994 Port Orleans / October 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / October 1999 Off site / October 2004 Contemporary Resort / October 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / August 2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ October 2008 Old Key West / February 2009 Polynesian Resort / August 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ February 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / August 2010 Bay Lake Tower / February 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / August 2011 Boardwalk Villas / August 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ February 2013 Coronado Springs / August 2013 Boardwalk Villas / February 2014 Coronado Springs

Last edited by stormer; 03-05-2013 at 05:19 PM.
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer

We didn't have to give our thumb print. They just scanned the AP with the iPod, kind of waved it by the camera lens, and let us right in. Quick and easy.
Here as well.

I think we all need to remember that they're in the midst of a transition between systems and things will be changed and tweaked with time.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #10
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelan6 View Post
I can almost guarantee that this won't last long. From what I understand, there are cast members there. If they don't see the green light when you wave your ticket in front of the machine, they will ask you. I am sure some people will try and confuse the cast member or in some way overwhelm the cast member so others can sneak by. I haven't seen this in person, but I have my doubts.

Also, what's to stop me from loaning out my AP to a friend and having him or her go through?
i can understand how it can work with Americans, who obediently stand in line in an open area, without any ropes or anything.

But many (possibly most) non-Americans do not obediently stand in line even when there are ropes (have you ever been to disneyland paris? that was what bothered us most, the constant pushing and line jumping - very undisneylike)..

so i'm wondering how it will work when the large non-american groups visit?
i can see a massive rush up to those open spaces and the few CMs completely unable to cope.

and as you pointed out, it seems to open the way for very easy fraud (passing that ticket around)..

did they think this through?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
jodi90
Mouseketeer

When we were there last week there were quite a few cast members. The new "turnstiles" are setup in a V shape with two Mickey Readers on each side. A cast member was standing at each side of the V.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: