Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #1966
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
At the Poly you also get the added bounus of the EWP, which you won't get TPV at CR!

My hubby calls that the "8 bit" parade

Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #1967
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

Staying on March 23th!! We're booked in a standard room and was wondering what everyone requests for room location with that room category? I've only stayed there two times (once in Hawaii CL and once MK View Tahiti). We thought about upgrading to CL but it's over $120 and we're just staying one night before we go on a Disney Cruise so we'll be leaving early the next day.

Thoughts on Standard View room locations??!! Thanks!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #1968
clareita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
Anyone there now have any update on the volcano pool closure dates? Is it still 3/9?
Holy moly this is the first I've heard of a possible pool closure. How long is it supposed to be down for? We are checking in on April 12 and if the volcano pool will be closed this is big deal for us - like switch resorts if possible kind of big deal.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #1969
Doryln
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by clareita

Holy moly this is the first I've heard of a possible pool closure. How long is it supposed to be down for? We are checking in on April 12 and if the volcano pool will be closed this is big deal for us - like switch resorts if possible kind of big deal.
There was a closure scheduled from 3/4-3/15, but I haven't heard whether it began or not - Disney or the poly will not confirm! I switched to the CR for our trip next week because I didn't want to take a chance. I assume they'll complete whatever maintenance by April 12th. It's just yearly maintenance but it has to get done at some point. Apparently they have to wait for the GF pool to reopen before closing the Polly's since those guests are using the poly pool.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #1970
tander34
Earning My Ears

Ohana Menu

Has anyone eaten at Ohana lately? I have reservations for April 27 and I thought I read somewhere that the menu changed.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #1971
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskirk View Post
Thank you for your pictures and response. Do you think the construction at the GF will take away from the beautiful view of a TPV room at the poly? Would it be such an eye sore that it would distract from the wondeful views? Also, I know there are three buildings that hold TPV rooms. Does anyone know which I should submit a request for? We also for sure want a balcony to enjoy the fireworks at night. Does anyone know which floors have balconies? Is it just 3rd? I would imagine a 3rd floor room would have better views anyways.
I imagine the construction would take away from the view if you are in Tuvalu since it is on the side of the Poly closest to GF. We were in Hawaii in October and while you could obviously see the construction if you looked over towards the GF it wasn't in our line of sight (you had to look to the left) and it was far enough away that it wasnt' an issue. If you are in Tahiti (the opposite side of Hawaii) it would be even less of an issue.

In Tahiti both the second & third floors have balconies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
correct. The TPV rooms look over the parking lot. Past the parking lot is the road and on the other side of the road is the lagoon. You can actually sit on your balcony and watch Wishes while the EWP is occurring. I found a panorama shot that looks like it was taken from a TPV balcony:
http://allears.net/acc/cont157.jpg
My mistake. I didn't realize they pulled out front at the CR. I thought EWP was only on the Bay Lake side at CR (although you still have the road, etc between the resort & the EWP, while at Poly it's right off the beach)

Either way, as to what mrskirk was asking about Poly TPV, vs CR TPV, while CR is closer to the MK, IMO I would rather the further, but "cleaner" view from the Poly (can't think of a better word at the moment) without the roadway & parking lot. It's just a matter of personal preference.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #1972
glass half full
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doryln

There was a closure scheduled from 3/4-3/15, but I haven't heard whether it began or not - Disney or the poly will not confirm! I switched to the CR for our trip next week because I didn't want to take a chance. I assume they'll complete whatever maintenance by April 12th. It's just yearly maintenance but it has to get done at some point. Apparently they have to wait for the GF pool to reopen before closing the Polly's since those guests are using the poly pool.
Pool was hopping today with some finally decent temps....not closed yet!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #1973
mrskirk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I imagine the construction would take away from the view if you are in Tuvalu since it is on the side of the Poly closest to GF. We were in Hawaii in October and while you could obviously see the construction if you looked over towards the GF it wasn't in our line of sight (you had to look to the left) and it was far enough away that it wasnt' an issue. If you are in Tahiti (the opposite side of Hawaii) it would be even less of an issue.

In Tahiti both the second & third floors have balconies.

My mistake. I didn't realize they pulled out front at the CR. I thought EWP was only on the Bay Lake side at CR (although you still have the road, etc between the resort & the EWP, while at Poly it's right off the beach)

Either way, as to what mrskirk was asking about Poly TPV, vs CR TPV, while CR is closer to the MK, IMO I would rather the further, but "cleaner" view from the Poly (can't think of a better word at the moment) without the roadway & parking lot. It's just a matter of personal preference.
Thank you again for the information. It definitely helps us out with our decision. If we decide the poly isn't for us this year, I'm probably going to be a little homesick for it. We will at least be visiting it for Ohana though!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #1974
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
"Cleaner" view so funny but it totally describes the way we feel too. When on vacation, I detest seeing a parking lot from my balcony/window. Especially at WDW because it takes away from the theme experience. The CR TPV holds no appeal to us because of the parking lot AND I really only want to see the castle and the fireworks at MK from my resort. I don't even want the other rides in MK to interfere with my dreamy castle view. The CR view has distractions that take away from the castle/fireworks view. JMO of course and others have a different preference but I loved your "clean" comment

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #1975
somehta
Earning My Ears

Refillable Mugs at Poly

If I get a refillable mug, can I refill it with Kona coffee or can I only refill it with the standard Disney coffee?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #1976
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by somehta View Post
If I get a refillable mug, can I refill it with Kona coffee or can I only refill it with the standard Disney coffee?
standard Disney coffee from Captain Cook's

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 03-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #1977
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
"Cleaner" view so funny but it totally describes the way we feel too. When on vacation, I detest seeing a parking lot from my balcony/window. Especially at WDW because it takes away from the theme experience. The CR TPV holds no appeal to us because of the parking lot AND I really only want to see the castle and the fireworks at MK from my resort. I don't even want the other rides in MK to interfere with my dreamy castle view. The CR view has distractions that take away from the castle/fireworks view. JMO of course and others have a different preference but I loved your "clean" comment
I'm glad people were able to get the gist of what I was trying to say!

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Old 03-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #1978
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass half full View Post
Pool was hopping today with some finally decent temps....not closed yet!
The parent site for this board is still showing Nanea Volcano Pool closed 3/4/2013-3/15/2013 but the Disney Travel Agent site now longer shows a closure of the Volcano pool so I assume it has been postponed with no new dates yet.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #1979
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

I've spend the past few days reading through this thread and I *finally* got to the end. (Disney withdrawal after our Princess Half Marathon trip ) We've always stayed at Pop because we didn't see the sense in spending a lot of $$ on a room we'd never be in (I have a commando park touring problem, according to DH).

He's made it known that he'd like a more relaxing vacation and even mentioned maybe going somewhere non-Disney. However, after finding this thread, I think Poly will be perfect for us!

Our next trip will probably be Sept. 2014, so lots of time to hang out here and daydream.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #1980
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tander34 View Post
Has anyone eaten at Ohana lately? I have reservations for April 27 and I thought I read somewhere that the menu changed.
I was there in Feb, Nov, and Oct and the menu was the same all the times.

You get the welcome bread, salad, noodles, pot stickers, wings, broccoli mix, the 4 grilled meats/seafood, and the banana bread with ice cream. I don't think I'm missing anything?? The 3 times we went, we pretty much had everything on the table at once instead of it being served at separate times which I'm thinking they are supposed to do?? We didn't mind and gave up things when we were done and asked for refills when needed.

If you click on the link for my PTR and go to the link for Valentine's Day Part III there are pics on there from Ohana on Feb 15th

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: