Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

Who wants to help me pick a resort for November? - YC, BC, BWI

We're tentatively planning a trip for Nov 10-16 - it will be me, DH, and DD (she'll be 26 months at the time).

We're huge WL fans - but are thinking about mixing it up this time!

We'd love to be walking distance to Epcot and DHS - less bus time, better access to restaurants in the evening. We definitely want a balcony, so we can relax with some adult beverages after DD goes to bed.

So, based on this, I'm thinking YC, BC, or BWI. What would you choose?

Is a lagoon/boardwalk view worth the extra expense? Any view guarantee us a view of fireworks?

My 2013 trip report! Makin’ our way, it’s an ADVENTURE every day! A Nov (10-16) trip with a 2yr old!

DW DH DD2

DCL-Fantasy, Western Caribbean-May 2014; YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
JulieODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Cinderumbrella
Wench

I have stayed at all 3 in the past couple of years.

If you definitely want a balcony then cross BC of the list. There are many rooms there that do not have sitting balconies.

I honestly don't remember if there are any firework view rooms at any of them but I remember sort of being able to see Illuminations from BWI CL lounge. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that soon.

My personal preference of the 3 resorts is YC. The sandy shallow area of SAB would probably be a big hit with your little one.

BWI was nice and I liked the room decor very much. But having to share the bus with Swan and Dolphin each and every time (and sometimes they throw YC & BC in for good measure) drove me crazy. I wouldn't stay there again without a rental car. Also, I don't recall the feature pool having a zero entry, but the kiddie pool is right next to the feature pool.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
bowbat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieODC View Post
We're tentatively planning a trip for Nov 10-16 - it will be me, DH, and DD (she'll be 26 months at the time).

We're huge WL fans - but are thinking about mixing it up this time!

We'd love to be walking distance to Epcot and DHS - less bus time, better access to restaurants in the evening. We definitely want a balcony, so we can relax with some adult beverages after DD goes to bed.

So, based on this, I'm thinking YC, BC, or BWI. What would you choose?

Is a lagoon/boardwalk view worth the extra expense? Any view guarantee us a view of fireworks?
We stayed at BWI last November and loved it. Easy walk to Epcot, we enjoyed the boat to DHS, and, though they shared buses with Swan/Dolphin, they were quick and never crowded (low crowds when we went). My son (then age 6) loved all the entertainment on the Boardwalk, and I loved the look/size of the rooms and how friendly the CMs were. We stayed CL and had a standard room that overlooked the back gardens. We could see the Eiffel Tower and Illuminations from our balcony. The view of the Boardwalk is probably (arguably) nicer but I don't believe you can see fireworks from there.

Didn't go in the pool, so I can't comment on that aspect.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Epcot resorts, though, and in fact we plan on trying YC next.
Wilderness Lodge – 10/2011, 11/2012, 11/2013
Boardwalk Inn – 11/2011, 3/2014
Grand Floridian – 2/2012
Yacht Club – 6/2013
bowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I have stayed at all 3. I did BC in late 2011, did YC and BWI (twice) in 2012.

I like BWI the most, then YC and BC. The lack of guaranteed balcony at BC bothers me; otherwise I'd put it ahead of YC.

I think the boardwalk view at BWI is worth it. I stayed there for a week in October and a week in December. We had boardwalk view in October and we spent a lot of time sitting out on the balcony. In December, I didn't have it and missed it.

There isn't going to be anywhere that will give you a great view of the fireworks. Yes, you can see them from the BWI club level lounge but that requires you to stay club level and the view is not spectacular. The club level there is pretty nice though, much nicer than at BC/YC in my opinion.

BC is the only one of the 3 that has counter service breakfast options without walking outside. The BC Marketplace is small with limited options but it's the best offerings out of the 3 resorts if that makes a difference to you.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
My personal preference of the 3 resorts is YC. The sandy shallow area of SAB would probably be a big hit with your little one.
I totally agree. There is lots of room for sand play and it's not at all deep. People forget about this huge part of SAB -- it's really ideal for toddlers.

BC/YC are parts of the same resort. If the balcony really matters, book YC so you won't have to worry about not getting it.

We've been able to see some of the high fireworks from our room at the YC once... really can't see much since Illuminations is mostly done very low, below the tree line.

As for view, if you plan to spend lots of time out on the balcony, it's a nice view to look across the lagoon over to the BWI and watch the boats going by. Nice, but definitely not necessary (or amazing).

Hope this helps!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
osugal
Mouseketeer

My favorite is BC by far. Especially for little kids. I like the resort, pool, and location. It's a 5 minute walk to Epcot. They're all close and have great locations but I prefer BC.
osugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the input!

I think we'll take BC off the list - the balcony is high priority! And then, I'll book one - and keep an eye on discounts and let that help me make a final decision.

My 2013 trip report! Makin’ our way, it’s an ADVENTURE every day! A Nov (10-16) trip with a 2yr old!

DW DH DD2

DCL-Fantasy, Western Caribbean-May 2014; YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
JulieODC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: