DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
cdispoto
Earning My Ears

This is my first post. My wife and I just returned from a week in Disney where we stayed on the monorail (Polynesian) for the first time and we took the DVC tour of the Bay Lake Tower.

The DVC intrigues us because we plan on going to Disney at least every two years for the rest of our lives ( we are in our 30s ) and want to stay at the Deluxe resorts or the Boardwalk/Beach Club area.

We don't intend to purchase until we can pay a least 50% up front, which may take a while, but we are interest-averse.

We also enjoy traveling in general but I'm not sure wed want to use DVC properties everywhere we go because I feel you can find more cost efficient lodging elsewhere, especially in Europe.

But I'm agonizing over whether its worth it at all. The rep we met with made it seem like we could ONLY buy at the Animal Kingdom or Bay Lake Tower because nothing else was available. But reading these boards makes it seem like you can buy anywhere. Is that true? Does the price change depending on when you purchase as your home base? We would rarely plan seven months in advance so the exclusivity benefit doesn't really benefit us.

If I'm using my points ONLY to stay at Disney, should I look into a resale?

Last edited by cdispoto; 03-02-2013 at 06:39 PM.
cdispoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

For me

it was a no brainer. No matter where I have lived I have gone to Disney World for at least one week a year. Seven years ago I toured a one bedroom at Old Key West and that was all it took. I did the math, figured out what my cost per point would be, took the average cost of a room at a moderate (this was where I stayed most ot the time) and knowing that room rates at the non DVC resorts would go up every year, I bought in.

Now I bought a resale through the Timeshare store and got waht at that time was a great price. I have never regretted it! I paid cash up front so all I had to worry about were the yearly maintenence fees. My wife and I now go 2-3 times a year. We buy food to eat in our villa for breakfast/snacks and adult beverages in the evenings.

What has it doen for us? It gives a place where we can get away, relax and know that all we have to do is pay for airfare and a meal a day at a TS restaurant

Good luck on your decision!

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdispoto View Post
This is my first post. My wife and I just returned from a week in Disney where we stayed on the monorail (Polynesian) for the first time and we took the DVC tour of the Bay Lake Tower.

The DVC intrigues us because we plan on going to Disney at least every two years for the rest of our lives ( we are in our 30s ) and want to stay at the Deluxe resorts or the Boardwalk/Beach Club area.

We don't intend to purchase until we can pay a least 50% up front, which may take a while, but we are interest-averse.

We also enjoy traveling in general but I'm not sure wed want to use DVC properties everywhere we go because I feel you can find more cost efficient lodging elsewhere, especially in Europe.

But I'm agonizing over whether its worth it at all. The rep we met with made it seem like we could ONLY buy at the Animal Kingdom or Bay Lake Tower because nothing else was available. But reading these boards makes it seem like you can buy anywhere. Is that true? Does the price change depending on when you purchase as your home base? We would rarely plan seven months in advance so the exclusivity benefit doesn't really benefit us.

Resale will save you the most money. There is a lot to learn if you want to be a educated consumer. Keep reading the posts here in the DVC section of the DIS and you will find the answers to all of your questions.
Good luck and have fun!

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Definitely only look at resale. You'll buy for about half of what Disney is selling, so it sounds like you'll be able to buy outright. Do a Google search online for Disney DVC resale and there's 2-3 very reputable sites you can do some research on, see current pricing, etc..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdispoto View Post

My recommendation is to save up and pay cash for what you can afford and go resale. As you correctly note, you can do better, cheaper and have far more control using cash or non DVC options for non DVC resort travel. For that 50% you could save up, you could get the same number of points resale PIF at SSR, BWV, AKV or OKW. You could get VB or HH even cheaper but the dues will make them more expensive long term and I'd suggest you buy at those ONLY if you plan to use the one you buy at fairly routinely, say at least every 3-4 years.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

First using DVC point to stay anywhere but in DVC rooms is not a good value.

Second, as others have said, study the resale market since you can buy a smaller contract intially if you want to try it out with the cash you have. You can by for 40-70% of what it cost direct from DVC.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

Honestly I questioned DVC's value when I paid $65 per point in 2000. At the current direct prices I do not think it is worth it. Buy resale IMO.

Last edited by CMOORE185; 03-03-2013 at 08:48 PM.
CMOORE185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If you really want to stay at the Epcot resorts (BWV and BCV), you will need to learn to book your stay way more than seven months out. Otherwise, you won't be staying there. I'm looking at those areas for early October now for one night and it's currently not available for the night I need. I'm looking at a full week to see if the night I need is available.

But if you don't mind staying at OKW or SSR or AKV (because they are the larger resorts), you can usually get something at seven months or less out. And if you are looking for a full week, the longer you wait to book, the harder it is to get a full week or longer.

Trading out DVC is an expensive trade.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
TosaTrio
DVC Owner @ SSR & VWL

I agree with everyone who says buy resale. You will save tons. Also my motto is buy the least expensive WDW property that you don't mind staying at. If you will only be happy at BCV or BLT buy there. If you like those resorts but would be happy at SSR if nothing else is available, buy there. SSR is a longer contract and lower price. Also, I have gotten BCV many times at the 7 month mark and I own at SSR and VWL, so it is not impossible. I have also gotten AKL 1 month out but I think that is rare.

Good luck with your decision. My only regret is not buying earlier.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
acurls
Earning My Ears

Additional Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormde View Post
First using DVC point to stay anywhere but in DVC rooms is not a good value.

Second, as others have said, study the resale market since you can buy a smaller contract intially if you want to try it out with the cash you have. You can by for 40-70% of what it cost direct from DVC.

Can you explain what you mean by "using DVC to stay anywhere but in DVC is not a good value"? Does this include other Disney properties, or are you referring to exchanging out into DVC?

Are there con's or limitations to resale? I have heard that Disney won't let you use points for other locations if you buy resale.

We are considering DVC too, but there's so many outstanding questions and concerns I have.
acurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurls View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "using DVC to stay anywhere but in DVC is not a good value"? Does this include other Disney properties, or are you referring to exchanging out into DVC?
exchanging DVC pts for disney resorts like the poly or a moderate would be a poor value.

exchanging for DVC resorts would be the best value. (and mostly, the DVC resorts that are onsite.)

Quote:
Are there con's or limitations to resale? I have heard that Disney won't let you use points for other locations if you buy resale.
resale pts ARE still valid for trading out through RCI and a few other options (like intrawest). not a great value, as mentioned above. but it is an option.

resale pts are not valid for trading out for the poly or for cruises. (or ABD, but those trades really require a ton of pts.)

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
disneynutz

Quote:

We are considering DVC too, but there's so many outstanding questions and concerns I have.
DVC is a money maker for Disney. They want people to buy direct, not through resale so the have placed restrictions on who can use their points where.

The most economical use of points is at the DVC resorts. Disney advertises many other vacation destinations as a advertising gimmick. Using points there, if they allow you to, requires a lot of points and there are availability and rule restrictions, paying cash is cheaper.

Disney can change the rules, policies, and restrictions as they see fit to increase their business or to "adjust" the program.

Buying a resale contract for DVC stays can save you money depending on how often you vacation and what your resort preferences are.

Bill

Old 03-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

Quote:

Yes the point requirements at the non DVC disney resorts are rack rate or higher if you figure $10/pt pluse the $95 fee.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
erin1715
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TosaTrio View Post
I agree with everyone who says buy resale. You will save tons. Also my motto is buy the least expensive WDW property that you don't mind staying at. If you will only be happy at BCV or BLT buy there. If you like those resorts but would be happy at SSR if nothing else is available, buy there. SSR is a longer contract and lower price. Also, I have gotten BCV many times at the 7 month mark and I own at SSR and VWL, so it is not impossible. I have also gotten AKL 1 month out but I think that is rare.

Good luck with your decision. My only regret is not buying earlier.
Can I ask when you were able to book at BCV at the 7 month mark, what time of year were you visiting?

My husband and I have been to Disney every year for the past 8 years and just recently we stayed at the BC in a standard room, which we loved! We have been discussing DVC on and off for a few years now, but BCV points are competitive and a little out of the price range. We would be happy staying at any of the DVC resorts. I am looking at buying at OKW and if we stay there great, if we get lucky and get BCV then that's just icing on the cake. At this point, we would travel during the summer months. Is BCV during the summer hard to book at 7 months out?
erin1715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
Can I ask when you were able to book at BCV at the 7 month mark, what time of year were you visiting?

My husband and I have been to Disney every year for the past 8 years and just recently we stayed at the BC in a standard room, which we loved! We have been discussing DVC on and off for a few years now, but BCV points are competitive and a little out of the price range. We would be happy staying at any of the DVC resorts. I am looking at buying at OKW and if we stay there great, if we get lucky and get BCV then that's just icing on the cake. At this point, we would travel during the summer months. Is BCV during the summer hard to book at 7 months out?
The only way to guarantee your ability to stay at your favorite resort is to own there. Most people don't really know what they really like until they try the different resorts for themselves. We bought BLT based on Disney's hype and others opinions, it's our least favorite resort, I have now learned my lesson.

Nothing worse than buying at OKW and then later getting frustrated because you want to book somewhere else and not always being able to get the room category that you want, when you want it.

No one knows what changes Disney may make in the future to increase attendance but we do know that booking some resorts at 7 months is more difficult today than it was a couple of years ago.

Disney vacations cost a fortune, do you really want to take chances on being happy while you are there?

Bill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: