Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #31
ciraulo887
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensilverlight

Unless things have changed recently, there isn't really a way to SPECIFICALLY pre-pay your gratuities. You can figure out how much they are and pay the amount before you cruise, absolutely. But in my experience, when you do that, it's just credited to your stateroom account in a lump sum, not earmarked for tips. Then when you get on board, you can absolutely adjust it as you see fit.

Somebody else correct me if I'm wrong!
We just got off the Wonder on February. I did the pre paid gratuities. I was a little confused because I didn't see anything when we got into our stateroom about it. I was thinking there would be vouchers with our excursions tickets. I finally asked guest services and they assured me that were paid. The vouchers arrived in my stateroom along with the envelopes on the last day if the evening. I would NEVER cancel our the gratuities unless the service was just AWFUL. If you ate out at breakfast, lunch, and dinner for all those days your tips would be way more. I always wondered about tipping the children's activities staff. They are so good! Also, does anyone add amounts to the drink bill over the 15%? If so, how much more do you add?
ciraulo887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #32
sbassgva
A Pirate in every sense of the word!

Room service tip

One more note about room service tipping, there are two options, in cash or by adding it to the ticket. Many people, myself included have never or don't usually get a ticket with room service. In fact, until recently I had always heard the best way to tip those crew members was with cash when the food arrived. However, if you add the tip to the ticket, the crew member who took your order (or organized your order for delivery if you left a breakfast ticket outside of your stateroom) will also receive part of the tip. So, I recommend asking for the ticket and charging the tip so that everyone involved gets something.
sbassgva is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #33
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Another question: Is the autogratuity divided equally amongst the four? This is assuming I do nothing (no adding, taking away or adjusting) and just prepay or pay when I settle my account. I hadn't given this any thought, but this thread has me wondering if my stateroom host and my main server shouldn't get a bigger piece? Also, if I wanted to tip other people outside of the four, can I request additional envelopes? Or charge them to my account even if it isn't a generally tipped position such as a kids club attendant?

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #34
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally
Another question: Is the autogratuity divided equally amongst the four? This is assuming I do nothing (no adding, taking away or adjusting) and just prepay or pay when I settle my account. I hadn't given this any thought, but this thread has me wondering if my stateroom host and my main server shouldn't get a bigger piece? Also, if I wanted to tip other people outside of the four, can I request additional envelopes? Or charge them to my account even if it isn't a generally tipped position such as a kids club attendant?
No, it is not split evenly. The $12 per person per day is a total for budgeting purposes. It is broken down into different amounts depending on the assumed duties of the individual position. You can then adjust as you see fit depending on the service received.

The only other tipped positions I'm aware of are bartenders and room service CMs. You would not be allowed to tip a kids' club CM, either via cash or onboard account. If you tried to give them cash they would have to refuse it. They can accept non-cash gifts like snacks, phone cards, etc.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #35
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
No, it is not split evenly. The $12 per person per day is a total for budgeting purposes. It is broken down into different amounts depending on the assumed duties of the individual position. You can then adjust as you see fit depending on the service received.

The only other tipped positions I'm aware of are bartenders and room service CMs. You would not be allowed to tip a kids' club CM, either via cash or onboard account. If you tried to give them cash they would have to refuse it. They can accept non-cash gifts like snacks, phone cards, etc.
The $12 breaks out to $4 for room host; $4 for server; $3 for asst server; and $1 for head server per day.

Bartenders/drink servers tips are handled through the auto 15% added gratutity on all bar bills. That amount is pooled and divided among all bartenders/drink servers. You can tip cash additionally to these positions, if you wish. Any additional cash tips are kept by specific server/bartender you give them to.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #36
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The $12 breaks out to $4 for room host; $4 for server; $3 for asst server; and $1 for head server per day.

Bartenders/drink servers tips are handled through the auto 15% added gratutity on all bar bills. That amount is pooled and divided among all bartenders/drink servers. You can tip cash additionally to these positions, if you wish. Any additional cash tips are kept by specific server/bartender you give them to.
Thanks!

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #37
browerjs
Mouseketeer

Quote:

First time cruiser here, and I'm trying to understand all the tipping ins and outs, and what % of my food bill is being tipped.

Is the server, asst server, and head server with you at all three meals or just dinner?

If I have a party of 4 (2 adults/2 children), I'm essentially paying $32 for a dinner tip. Am I getting a ~$160 meal every night? If so this would be the customary20% tip at a "normal" restaurant for great service?
browerjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #38
MouseGrandma
Hooked on DCL!!!

Okay, I am confused. Last time we sailed, it was 2010. You had to go to guest services and put your tips on your onboard account. Nothing was automatic. Please explain - now do they put the "suggested" tips onto your account automatically? What do you do if you want to tip more? What do staff prefer? Should you continue to go to guest services so the tip will be all electronic, or should we put extra cash in the envelopes with the "suggested" tips which are already charged to our account? Is that how it works? I want to do what is best for staff members, and we always tip more than the "suggested" amount.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #39
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post
First time cruiser here, and I'm trying to understand all the tipping ins and outs, and what % of my food bill is being tipped.

Is the server, asst server, and head server with you at all three meals or just dinner?

If I have a party of 4 (2 adults/2 children), I'm essentially paying $32 for a dinner tip. Am I getting a ~$160 meal every night? If so this would be the customary20% tip at a "normal" restaurant for great service?
Your tips cover all meals. So you're tipping for 3 meals a day all at once.

You may or may not actually see/use your dinner server for breakfast and lunch. They do serve in other venues during the day, quick serve locations on the pool deck, the buffet, and the two MDRs that serve those meals as well. And have other duties also. Sometimes they may be doing table clearing/cleanup on the pool deck. One time our asst server was clearing towels in the Quiet Cove pool area.

Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #40
Aura of Foreboding
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Your servers and assistant servers work in the other restaurants at breakfast and lunch, where you don't tip, so the tips that go to them are really covering your service for all three meals a day. You may not get *your* server at those meals, but your server will be working somewhere.

Believe me, those servers EARN their tips!
DCL - 2012 (4-night Bahamian on the Dream)

In the works:
August 12-15th - WDW *~* August 16th, 2014 - Disney Fantasy *~* July 2015 - DL

Aura of Foreboding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #41
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs

You are tipping for three meals a day, as your serving team also works breakfast and lunch. They may not be with you specifically for those two meals depending on their schedule and where you choose to eat, but they are still working. I once had a server who spotted me in the buffet at breakfast time, knew I liked something in particular that the buffet didn't have, and surprised me with it at our table; not only did that require legwork to another kitchen, but since we weren't at an assigned table he had to wander around the buffet until he found us!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #42
Aura of Foreboding
Mouseketeer

^^^ Basically, what she said.
DCL - 2012 (4-night Bahamian on the Dream)

In the works:
August 12-15th - WDW *~* August 16th, 2014 - Disney Fantasy *~* July 2015 - DL

Aura of Foreboding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #43
browerjs
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Your tips cover all meals. So you're tipping for 3 meals a day all at once.

You may or may not actually see/use your dinner server for breakfast and lunch. They do serve in other venues during the day, quick serve locations on the pool deck, the buffet, and the two MDRs that serve those meals as well. And have other duties also. Sometimes they may be doing table clearing/cleanup on the pool deck. One time our asst server was clearing towels in the Quiet Cove pool area.
Ok, that's great to know! Thanks for the quick response.
browerjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #44
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseGrandma View Post
Okay, I am confused. Last time we sailed, it was 2010. You had to go to guest services and put your tips on your onboard account. Nothing was automatic. Please explain - now do they put the "suggested" tips onto your account automatically? What do you do if you want to tip more? What do staff prefer? Should you continue to go to guest services so the tip will be all electronic, or should we put extra cash in the envelopes with the "suggested" tips which are already charged to our account? Is that how it works? I want to do what is best for staff members, and we always tip more than the "suggested" amount.
Your tips will be added to your onboard account once the cruise starts. If you wish to tip more, you can either go to Guest Services and adjust what the tips are, or you may add additional cash to the tip envelopes at the end of the cruise (place it in the envelopes with the coupons you receive from Guest Services).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: