Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
mom4fun
DIS Veteran

kayak and walk nature adventure

Has anyone done the kayak adventure at castaway cay? Do you need to be an athelete? Thought this might be a nice alternative if the weather was cool.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

We were going to do this but it was rough out and thought they had cancelled all the water excursions but come to find out they didn't cancel ours. Oh well. But from the looks of the people who did this excursion (saw them leaving their walking part near serenity bay) you don't have to be "athletic". Just not any major health issues that would keep you from being able to walk a distance or paddle slowly.

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
mom4fun
DIS Veteran

Has no one been on this? What site can you get excursion reviews on?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
jdgilmour
Earning My Ears

We have done this and you don't need to be athletic at all. The only thing I struggled with was the heat on the walk but it was not a difficult walk and they have stops along the way for the laggers to catch up and after kayak we were free to return at our own pace but the kayaking was beautiful!
jdgilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
ludari
DIS Veteran

I have done this port adventure in 2010 and really enjoyed it. The walk was informative and the guide was very funny. Part of the walk ventured into areas typically closed to passengers. The kayaking was my favorite part (I do SUP and kayaking at home) and not too difficult for the notives in the group. The beach location where you enter/exit the water is really nice but as you venture on the kayaking tour they point out some jellyfish to obviously you don't want to fall in. On our return we had a bit of headwind so some people struggled a little especially some single passengers on the kayak. I have visited CC once more since 2010 and I regret not signing up for this port adventure again. Next time I visit CC I will make sure I do.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
mom4fun
DIS Veteran

So would you say this excursion would be good in cool weather, also? If you put on a sweatshirt you will stay warm and dry?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
sham10299
Earning My Ears

We were considering this excursion but it says for ages 10 and up. Does anyone know why? My daughter will be 9 the day after we disembark, but she kayaks with us frequently, has her own kayak, and even kayaked on the bay at LBI this summer. I wonder if they make any exceptions to the age limited.
sham10299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
grandy w
Mouseketeer

Walk and kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sham10299 View Post
We were considering this excursion but it says for ages 10 and up. Does anyone know why? My daughter will be 9 the day after we disembark, but she kayaks with us frequently, has her own kayak, and even kayaked on the bay at LBI this summer. I wonder if they make any exceptions to the age limited.
We had a great time doing this,The only problem I would see is the Computer system won't let you sign her up due to her age.
grandy w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4fun View Post
So would you say this excursion would be good in cool weather, also? If you put on a sweatshirt you will stay warm and dry?
Just so you know the Kayaks are a bit on the tipsy side so you should be prepared to get wet, other then that it's about a 10 minute walk from serenity bay which you get to by taking the tram.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
millie
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know what time or times this excursion is offered?
millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4fun View Post
Has anyone done the kayak adventure at castaway cay? Do you need to be an athelete? Thought this might be a nice alternative if the weather was cool.
You don't need to be an athlete but you need to be in some kind of shape. We went out with about ten kayaks and four needed to be towed back in. My wife and I and the tour guide both had two other kayaks towed to the back of us.Too many people who hadn't exercised in 20 years. My wife and I are avid kayakers so was not a problem. Anyone in average shape should be able to do it.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie View Post
Does anyone know what time or times this excursion is offered?
When we did it in 2005 there was one right after the ship disembarked then an early afternoon one.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
Just so you know the Kayaks are a bit on the tipsy side so you should be prepared to get wet, other then that it's about a 10 minute walk from serenity bay which you get to by taking the tram.
I have kayaked for 25 years and not once have I ever unintentionally gone in to the water.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: