Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #3061
smidgy
dimples

yup! a disney world vacation entails a lot of walking.. both in the parks and at the resorts. anyone planning a trip there should know that going in. if it's a problem you need to book a room close to everything (ie, pay for preferred rooms) or rent a wheel chair or scooter, or bring a stroller.

or, take a lot of breaks. rest, relax. we are esp. fans of midday breaks, and it's just the 2 of us! but even when our son's family were with us, with our 7 year old grandson, we took midday breaks.

ps, at pop. I still think the walk from the furthest 50's bldg to the food court is longer than from the 90's bldg (if you cut across the parking lot..yuck) and, again, for values, the longest ever is at Music, from country faire.

Last edited by smidgy; 03-04-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #3062
mbvisitor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomader View Post
We just came back from AoA and we loved it. We stayed in the car suites and they were close to the food court. Little Mermaid almost needs it's own food court. A little far from the main building. I wish the suites were not so expensive. They list them under Value and they sure are not cheap. But I did really love the place. I'm booking it with hopefully the free dining in August. Disney told me they don't book the Little Mermaid with the free dining plan. They get the people in without it.
Tomader, what building were you in? I have the Cars suite booked for August but I haven't put in any room requests. Does it matter? Did you find the Cars section loud from the pool? Thanks!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #3063
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbcanada View Post
I always think of Disney World a happy place, but I just read the most negative review of AOA on tripadvisor. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think some people are just have a negative view of life, so nothing will please them. I don't know why these types of people go on vacation, especially to a fun place like Disney when all they are going to do is complain!
I have not read the review you mentioned, but even Disney screws up sometimes. Disney is not perfect and some complaints are valid.

Without reading the review, I have no idea if this person has a valid complaint or not.

We are staying in the LM rooms and I'm dreading it, honestly. Once I'm off the bus, I don't want to trudge another 10-15 mins to get to my room.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #3064
dmbcanada
Mouseketeer

Downtown Disney

Anyone know if the bus stops at West Side of Downtown Disney or just the Marketplace? I have a dinner reservation at House of Blues and need to know how far I have to walk.

Last edited by dmbcanada; 03-04-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: sp error
Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #3065
dmbcanada
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie View Post
I have not read the review you mentioned, but even Disney screws up sometimes. Disney is not perfect and some complaints are valid.

Without reading the review, I have no idea if this person has a valid complaint or not.

We are staying in the LM rooms and I'm dreading it, honestly. Once I'm off the bus, I don't want to trudge another 10-15 mins to get to my room.
True, Disney is not perfect but some people have unrealistic expectations just because it is Disney. I get annoyed when I read about people who seem to be on a mission to find faults instead of enjoying their vacation.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #3066
mickeyfan0805
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbcanada View Post
Anyone know if the bus stops at West Side of Downtown Disney or just the Marketplace? I have a dinner reservation at House of Blues and need to know if I how far I have to walk.
If I remember correctly (we usually rent a car), the second stop is at Pleasure Island. It will be closer to House of Blues than the marketplace stop, but I don't think the stop is all the way down at the end.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #3067
JM1226
Mouseketeer

What time does breakfast open up?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #3068
Marblies
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It really shouldn't take more than 6-7 mins to get to to your LM room even at a "trudge". If you exit the bus to the left and go through the parking lot, it can shave a bit off too.

It is not nearly as far as people make it out to be. You can do it!

Personally, I prefer to walk, over standing at bus stops at night, so if a POP bus comes first we hop on it and walk across the generation gap bridge. - Yes, we are all adults and yes, we stay until park closing.

Enjoy the ambiance as you walk, we treat AoA like an extension of the parks. Music and decor - make the walk much more pleasant.

2008 A**Cheer, 2008 ASM Girl's trip, 2009 ASM with DH too, 2010 POP Girl's Christmas trip, 2011 POP Just Girls, 2012 AoA Last girl's only trip EVER? (DD22 is getting married and doesn't think she can leave her hubby at home like I do), Feb.2013 POP to SS to AoA Crashing the Disneymoon with the inlaws! Sept. 2013 POP Girl's trip
Old 03-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #3069
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

10-15 mins?? Hardly!!! I was just there in Dec. I will say that the walk 'to' the room was long...at least that was my perception!!! But, that wasn't the case all the rest of the time!! For some reason, I felt like it took forever to get to the room upon arrival. Maybe it was anticipation..don't know. I do know that it wasn't more than 7 mins or so to get from LM rooms to the main bldg.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #3070
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybel View Post
I am booked in a Little Mermaid room for August
I just have one question about the fridges, or "beverage coolers" in the rooms. Are they cold enough to keep dairy products such as milk or yogurt? And how big are they, could I fit a carton of milk in them?
I had milk in mine and it was cool enough for that.

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL

Old 03-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #3071
coruth4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomader View Post
We just came back from AoA and we loved it. We stayed in the car suites and they were close to the food court. Little Mermaid almost needs it's own food court. A little far from the main building. I wish the suites were not so expensive. They list them under Value and they sure are not cheap. But I did really love the place. I'm booking it with hopefully the free dining in August. Disney told me they don't book the Little Mermaid with the free dining plan. They get the people in without it.
We are planning a trip in January 2014 & have already booked our rooms. But I am struggling with trying to justify the price. I am finding moderates that are priced far cheaper & historically Disney offers better room discounts and standard free dining for moderates, as opposed to the values that only get counter service free dining and minimal room discounts.
My party is now small enough that we don't have to stay in a suite (although we prefer them) & therefore can save even more by staying in a standard room.
Since we can visit the report to see all the amazing decor - what else does it offer to justify the added expense over say Port Orleans or Caribbean? Just wondering if the money is better spent at another resort and staying for longer?
Thanks for any input!
All Star Music Family Suite December 2009
Pop Century August 2007
Fort Wilderness Campground July 2005
Old 03-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #3072
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coruth4 View Post
We are planning a trip in January 2014 & have already booked our rooms. But I am struggling with trying to justify the price. I am finding moderates that are priced far cheaper & historically Disney offers better room discounts and standard free dining for moderates, as opposed to the values that only get counter service free dining and minimal room discounts.
My party is now small enough that we don't have to stay in a suite (although we prefer them) & therefore can save even more by staying in a standard room.
Since we can visit the report to see all the amazing decor - what else does it offer to justify the added expense over say Port Orleans or Caribbean? Just wondering if the money is better spent at another resort and staying for longer?
Thanks for any input!
I stayed there for just one night last Dec...just to see it. Loved the room. Love it enough to justify the cost and stay for an extended period of time? Nope. I am going again in May, with my 19 y/o dd. We own DVC but didn't want to use our points for this trip. So, booked 4 nights at Music and the last 2 at AoA-LM.
I am paying about $387 for my Music stay and $321 for AoA-LM..that's without tax or such. But dd really wants to stay in a LM room just once...so we will for the two nights. After that? Nope, no more.

I understand that Disney can get away with no discounts for LM....only three buildings, so it's pretty much always full. It's all about the bottom dollar for them, and since it's a business, that's okay.
But, if I'm paying the amount of money they want for a LM room, I figure I can stay at a much nicer resort (POR for instance) for just a bit more, if that.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #3073
coruth4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I stayed there for just one night last Dec...just to see it. Loved the room. Love it enough to justify the cost and stay for an extended period of time? Nope. I am going again in May, with my 19 y/o dd. We own DVC but didn't want to use our points for this trip. So, booked 4 nights at Music and the last 2 at AoA-LM.
I am paying about $387 for my Music stay and $321 for AoA-LM..that's without tax or such. But dd really wants to stay in a LM room just once...so we will for the two nights. After that? Nope, no more.

I understand that Disney can get away with no discounts for LM....only three buildings, so it's pretty much always full. It's all about the bottom dollar for them, and since it's a business, that's okay.
But, if I'm paying the amount of money they want for a LM room, I figure I can stay at a much nicer resort (POR for instance) for just a bit more, if that.
Thank you - that is helpful. I know I am comparing a suite to a "standard" room - but was shocked to see that even POR is less. From what I saw even the Pirate room at Caribbean Beach was a little under AoA (we care booked in Cars building).
If we are able to visit the resort & see everything, I don't see why I should pay so much more - aside from having a kitchen & extra bathroom. Which I don't need on this trip.
Thank you for your input - it is making me feel better about leaning towards a different resort.
All Star Music Family Suite December 2009
Pop Century August 2007
Fort Wilderness Campground July 2005
Old 03-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #3074
DISvirgin1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marblies View Post
It really shouldn't take more than 6-7 mins to get to to your LM room even at a "trudge". If you exit the bus to the left and go through the parking lot, it can shave a bit off too.

It is not nearly as far as people make it out to be. You can do it!

Personally, I prefer to walk, over standing at bus stops at night, so if a POP bus comes first we hop on it and walk across the generation gap bridge. - Yes, we are all adults and yes, we stay until park closing.

Enjoy the ambiance as you walk, we treat AoA like an extension of the parks. Music and decor - make the walk much more pleasant.
I have to say, I went in with a totally open mind, especially since we are a pretty active family. And it was long. Especially when Florida was in the middle of a cold snap (I think it was in the low 30's our first couple of nights) My kids really loved the LM room, but for future visits we will probably stay at POP and pay for a room closer to the bus stop. I don't mind touring the resort when we don't have other places to be/things to do - but to have to do it daily to get from point A to point B? Not so much. I don't want to be a downer, but I want to be honest.
February 2011 First Visit - LBV Best Western
Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #3075
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISvirgin1

I have to say, I went in with a totally open mind, especially since we are a pretty active family. And it was long. Especially when Florida was in the middle of a cold snap (I think it was in the low 30's our first couple of nights) My kids really loved the LM room, but for future visits we will probably stay at POP and pay for a room closer to the bus stop. I don't mind touring the resort when we don't have other places to be/things to do - but to have to do it daily to get from point A to point B? Not so much. I don't want to be a downer, but I want to be honest.
I have friends that stayed in the LM rooms and they said the same thing you did- it is a hike.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: