Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Habit Heroes: What Do You Think?

In case you haven't watched it, check out Kathy and Teresa's segment on the newly-designed Habit Heroes in Epcot. As I sat watching while drinking a Mountain Dew and eating a bag of chips (no lie lol), I started to question whether or not this attraction is really successful in meeting its objective of teaching about healthy eating and fitness. What do you think? Should Disney even touch upon this subject during people's vacations - especially when Mickey bars, chips, soft drinks, and other delightfully unhealthy snacks are sold in abundance? Share your thoughts here.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Good questions Nikki.

I'm in favor of trying to get the message across even while people are on vacation. Val & I certainly don't worry much about "eating right" while we are on vacation. But we do have some more healthy eating habits that are just a routine part of our lives if we are on vacation or not. I guess as long as people think about this when they get home it will have some success.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Interesting discussion. (I've seen the video but haven't listened to the podcast discussion yet.) I'm not sure Habit Heroes is going to be very influential, but one program that IS incredibly successful is the runDisney program. There are approximately 15,000 women currently in the Orlando area getting ready to run a half marathon tomorrow, many of whom will be in tutus. Maybe the Habit Heroes should have had some runDisney cross-marketing.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge resort not yet decided!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Personally, I think it's a little preachy, but people have a choice whether or not to do the attraction or not. I doubt Habit Heros is going to be very popular. I have a bigger problem when you don't have a choice, like with the wheat buns at Casey's. It's fine for Disney to promote healthy eating/habits but in the end it should be my choice for myself and my family, especially on vacation.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
misstheworld
My Prince Charming is mecarroll

I saw the video and heard the discussion on the Habit Heroes and I have to say, it seems like something to do when it's a)too hot to do anything else outside or b)when it's pouring down rain.

My first reaction was, seriously?! A "you-need-to-be-in-shape" lecture at EPCOT? Don't you think people can figure that one out after they can't make it from Mexico to Norway without gasping for breath? Seems like a waste of space.
misstheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

There is never a bad time or a wrong place to try to instill healthy habits in a child. Is this worse than the "Don't Waste It!" exhibit? My kid learned a lot from that, and the fact of performing the task as part of a game/challenge at WDW helped her remember more of what she was doing. The concept is pretty self-evident, so if it offends you or you think it would be inappropriate for your kids, it is easy to skip. But I certainly won't find any fault in WDW for offering a fun game/challenge that imparts a bit of educational information on a fairly non-controversial topic.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
SA mom
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure I would take the time to see Habit Heroes if we were on a short trip. However, it did really get the Podcast Team talking, didn't it? My favorite quote of the segment came from Pete when talking about comfort food, "I need to be a little less comfortable." Me too, Pete, me too.

I think my kids would have enjoyed it when they were younger. I don't think my nearly teens would like it, even if they did get a bracelet out of it.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
AndyPok1
Back in MCO!
To answer the other question, getting along is boring
I like tacos

What makes it different from the rest of Future World, and Innoventions in particular?

The Land has two separate attractions preaching about conservation. There's Sum of All Thrills preaching about math and science. There's the Fire attraction about fire safety. etc etc. Being healthy goes right along with all of those things (and is arguably more important!)
AndyPok1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
habit heroes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: