Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #136
MScott1851
Got a link for those Trip Reports? ;)
Type A Travel Planner
I'm a complete sucker for a drop dead gorgeous dress and strappy heels

They're all a downgrade, as far as I'm concerned, especially Ariel and Belle. And I almost died when we were watching Sofia The First and Cinderella came to see her. She was hideous, weird looking eyes and a big wide, honker nose. What are they thinking?!?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #137
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScott1851 View Post
They're all a downgrade, as far as I'm concerned, especially Ariel and Belle. And I almost died when we were watching Sofia The First and Cinderella came to see her. She was hideous, weird looking eyes and a big wide, honker nose. What are they thinking?!?

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #138
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

Did any of you notice that there seems to be less middrift showing for Jasmine? The new pants are higher and there is a dangling embellishment from the top. The top too seems to cover higher. Hmmm, wonder why they'd do this while making the other princesses look more current? Sort of odd don't you think? Almost seems like a contradiction.

WL February 2017 for DS high school band trip * WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007*SoG 2000*Off Site 1998
hebbynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #139
hburke01
Earning My Ears

I am a disney princess nut and to be honest the only one in the before mentioned pictures who really stands out as extremely off is Cinderella. Yes Belle looks different but I like her look. The in park costumes needed a huuuuge upgrade: Belle's especially. She looked like someone in a costume. Atleast now she looks a little more like a real person.

That said, I have a feeling this change will not last as far as the merchandise goes. The original renditions were timeless and should stay that way. Disney is just adapting with the current times as far as what most animation looks like these days.
hburke01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #140
kasedroz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83

It's my opinion. I don't care much for Rapunzel although I DO think it's stupid in Tangled Ever After she had short brown hair at her wedding but all the wedding dolls have the long blonde hair....

I don't think it would be a tragedy if at least one Disney Princess had short hair. Not every little girl (or "big" girl) has long curly hair.....
There is two version of the wedding Rapunzel doll, one with long blonde and one with the short brown. My DD has both and loves them equally.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

kasedroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #141
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasedroz View Post
There is two version of the wedding Rapunzel doll, one with long blonde and one with the short brown. My DD has both and loves them equally.
I've seen the short brown hair version and I like it much better. It just makes no sense to me to have Rapunzel with her long hair when she was getting married because she had the short brown hair.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #142
kasedroz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83

I've seen the short brown hair version and I like it much better. It just makes no sense to me to have Rapunzel with her long hair when she was getting married because she had the short brown hair.
I do agree. I think she's just more recognizable with the long blonde hair. Her wedding dress dress up has the blonde version on it. I was a bit disappointed in that myself especially the limited edition one my DD has. But I guess because she spends more time in the movie with the blonde hair, little ones easily identify her compared to the brown hair.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

kasedroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #143
mvk
Mouseketeer

New here, but figured I'd throw my 2 cents in. I have mixed feelings about updating classic characters, but I don't mind the updates too much. For what it's worth, my daughter, 5, receives the Disney Princess magazine, and I think that would definitely be considered merchandise with the new branding. To be honest, I think some people are being very harsh in their descriptions of the new look. There is no hint of '****'-iness or whatever in the characters in the magazine at all. I think people are just looking for something to criticize because change is not something easily accepted. And certainly the Princesses are just as recognizable as ever, the changes aren't THAT drastic.

Updating for cross-promotion and computerized technology will better position them to expand the line/brand I think. With the explosion of online/mobile games and apps lately, and surely more to come, this makes perfect sense at this time.
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #144
MagicalEars
Mouseketeer

As an artist and someone that studies different artistic styles, let me add my 2 cents...

If you take a look at the new styles on page 1 and 8 of this thread, you are looking at a variation of western/american Manga. It's very popular in modern cartoons and animation these days. Thus the eyes are bigger and more expressive, becoming the focal point and the other features, especially the nose, are de-emphasised. The eyes are just bigger and not meant to produce a "come hither" look. I can assure you that the phrase "come hither" was written nowhere on the artists reference cards.

Disney princesses have always had skinny waists, and nowhere in these new drawings do I see any slimmer waist line or larger bust sizes. In fact my wife and girls commented that their necklines looked higher and dressed appropriately. I think that since most modern tv shows and movies are so inappropriate these days, some of you are seeing monsters where there are none.

Also you'll notice that the artwork across all the princesses is more consistent. Before the older princesses, especially Snow White and Cinderella, looked out of place compared to Jasmine and Ariel who are more modern. Now there is a consistency across all princesses, which is better for merchandise and in possible cross-over animation.

Same with the glitter in the artwork on page 8. Notice that the first thing your eye is drawn to is the glitter in their clothing? It's a very pretty focal effect, and again it's consistent across all princesses. Not to mention that almost all princess dresses I've seen for sale have glitter on them. Makes since for the artwork to match that.

I will say that Mulan's neck is way too long, and Belle's hair is too disheveled, but over all my wife and daughters really like the new look. And Belle's dress in the park looks much more natural than the old one. The deep yellow and "tube" on the bottom of the dress always looked off. My wife really liked the dress and said that the fabric looked like something you could go buy. She meant that as a compliment.

We're very conservative parents and we see nothing wrong or inappropriate with the redesign.

DH (Me) DW DD13 DD7 DD4
MagicalEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #145
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScott1851 View Post
I'm not seeing what you are referring to.

Last edited by dadddio; 03-28-2013 at 01:02 PM.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #146
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I'm not seeing what you are referring to.

I think Cinderella looks a little "plainer," Not bad, just a little less "Disney princess-y."

If the picture on page 1 of this thread is what they are thinking of, I think most of the changes are OK, but I really didn't care for Belle in that picture. The rest were fine, I think Ariel was a slight improvement.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #147
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
They all look like they used Taylor Swift's eye makeup artist.
I don't like it. They are making all the princesses look sexier. Why? This is Disney for families. Why do they have to have "come hither" looks?? And Cinderella looks like a different person. She looks thinner with a different face. Why ruin an original??

ME DH DS
Disneyland- hundreds of times
Disneyland Hotel 6/05,12/05
Disney Fairytale Wedding@Disneyland 6/05
WDW 2/04, 6/05, 5/12, 10/14, 10/15
Port Orleans Riverside 2/04 & 6/05
All Star Movies Resort 5/12
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Port Orleans French Quarter 9/30/15
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Disney Fantasy 10/18/14 & 10/10/15
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #148
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
I don't like it. They are making all the princesses look sexier. Why? This is Disney for families. Why do they have to have "come hither" looks?? And Cinderella looks like a different person. She looks thinner with a different face. Why ruin an original??
I, too, can do without the "come hither" look on the new, sexier princesses. They all look like Barbie dolls now, with Mulan and Pocahontas looking less and less ethnic. They all seem to look more alike, also. Why can't the princesses look like their movie character? That's who they are, after all!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #149
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
I, too, can do without the "come hither" look on the new, sexier princesses. They all look like Barbie dolls now, with Mulan and Pocahontas looking less and less ethnic. They all seem to look more alike, also. Why can't the princesses look like their movie character? That's who they are, after all!
YES! The explanation that they all look the same to make them look more mainstream is ridiculous. Aurora shouldn't look like Jasmine. Cinderella shouldn't look like Belle. Prince Phillip certainly doesn't look like Prince Naveen. For that matter the overall animation of Lion King doesn't match the look or feel of Bambi. All the movies were made to have their own characters in their own styles. Bambi isn't being drawn to "fit in" with Simba. Why do the classic princesses all have to be redone to match?!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #150
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

I don't mind the new look. I don't think the Princesses look sexier, but they look younger to me. Maybe that's part of the point since they are supposed to be young. I mean Ariel was only 16 when she ran off and fell in love with Eric.

Also, I wish they had given Rapunzel short brown hair. Or at least the meet & greet because she cut it off and as my DD informs me, it can't grow back.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: