Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
SpacePlace
Mouseketeer

Disney Develops New "Reclining Seat Rollercoaster Car"

Disney has developed a new roller coaster car to improve our ride experiences. I'm not sure if they have a specific ride/park/theme in mind for this, but please post if you have any inclination. The gist is, they put reclining chairs in the cars so that you are in a reclined position during the ride. They present the new ride technology as,

"The present invention addresses the above problems by providing a roller coaster (or coaster-type ride system) in which passenger seats in the coaster's vehicles are adapted to be articulated so as to move between a load/unload position to a ride position, which still faces forward into the direction of travel (DOT) of the vehicle but with a much different point of view (POV). More specifically, the passenger seats may have an articulable seat back that is moved by a seat positioning mechanism (or seat actuator) between a first position that may be near vertical or upright for use in loading/unloading of passengers and a second position that may be more horizontal or reclined for use in placing the passengers in a ride orientation."

http://www.google.com/patents/US2013...ed=0CDMQ6AEwAA
SpacePlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Q-man
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacePlace View Post
More specifically, the passenger seats may have an articulable seat back that is moved by a seat positioning mechanism (or seat actuator) between a first position that may be near vertical or upright for use in loading/unloading of passengers and a second position that may be more horizontal or reclined for use in placing the passengers in a ride orientation."
A lazy boy coaster? Can't wait for the tie-ins.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #3
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile ~Yay!!!

Quote:
Disney has developed a new roller coaster car to improve our ride experiences. I'm not sure if they have a specific ride/park/theme in mind for this, but please post if you have any inclination. The gist is, they put reclining chairs in the cars so that you are in a reclined position during the ride. They present the new ride technology as,

"The present invention addresses the above problems by providing a roller coaster (or coaster-type ride system) in which passenger seats in the coaster's vehicles are adapted to be articulated so as to move between a load/unload position to a ride position, which still faces forward into the direction of travel (DOT) of the vehicle but with a much different point of view (POV). More specifically, the passenger seats may have an articulable seat back that is moved by a seat positioning mechanism (or seat actuator) between a first position that may be near vertical or upright for use in loading/unloading of passengers and a second position that may be more horizontal or reclined for use in placing the passengers in a ride orientation."

http://www.google.com/patents/US2013...ed=0CDMQ6AEwAA
~OMG... another one??? This coaster looks so comfortable, lol. I think you were right SpacePlace -- this is because of Comcast! <j/k>

~Seriously, I really hope this is for WDW.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
A lazy boy coaster? Can't wait for the tie-ins.
I was thinking the same thing...like a wild ride, in the comfort of your own home
Old 02-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
SpacePlace
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~OMG... another one??? This coaster looks so comfortable, lol. I think you were right SpacePlace -- this is because of Comcast! <j/k>

~Seriously, I really hope this is for WDW.
And as long as they let me have a beer and watch the big game while they have me in that position!
SpacePlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

My wife's going to hate this!
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

Some sort of Bobsled of Luge coaster couldbe fun with this idea. I cant for the life of me tie this in to any disney movie or attraction (other than the Matterhorn).

Clint
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

I'd hate to be in the second row if the person in the first row decides they need to recline.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #9
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

Quote:
And as long as they let me have a beer and watch the big game while they have me in that position!
~LOL. Hmm... I was thinking more along the lines of a "mani pedi," so let's just compromise with a Shiatsu massage!

~Here is an interest passage taken from the detailed description portion of the patent -- emphasis is placed solely upon the "reclining" aspect of the chair -- it can be used on an "existing" track while creating an entirely different & new thrill experience.

Quote:
In the ride position, the passenger's sightlines and point of view (POV) are substantially blocked in the vehicle's DOT, and the passenger can no longer see what is coming as the vehicle moves through the ride portions of the track or see when the track is going to turn or drop/rise. Such unexpected moves of the vehicle increase the thrill, excitement, and unpredictability of the ride experience. The passenger's POV is largely directed upward (in contrast to a passenger seated in a conventional upright/vertical position) such that parts of a roller coaster ride that would not be seen by a conventional seat arrangement are easily observed. The thrill, excitement, and unpredictability of the experience are significantly increased as objects cross quickly in and out of the passenger's field of view. For example, overhead rockwork may open into expansive caverns in a mountain-themed ride and then quickly return to close-in rockwork. This serves to enhance the sense of speed and excitement as the riders are unaware of what lies ahead along the track.

A roller coaster was tested by the inventors that included a passenger seat with a seat back positioned in a reclined or “horizontal” position. This test, on an old and existing coaster, showed that the experience provided was fun, unique, and substantially different than that provide by a vertical seat back on the exact same track. A number of experiential, operational, and marketing benefits have been identified by the inventors for this type of roller coaster ride. The ride provides an articulated seat that allows for easy and familiar load/unload of the vehicle in the station or during evacuation, as well as delivering a new and unique ride experience to the passengers. The experience is more disorienting and thrilling because the passenger does not know where he is or what is going to happen next. There are no fixed visualization points, and this even proved true for attraction-operator passengers that know the ride extremely well (e.g., their comments were along the vein of “feels like I'm riding this coaster for the first time again”). Not being able to see the track or upcoming path through the sets prevents the passenger from preparing themselves and/or expecting what is coming next.

The articulable seat coasters heighten the sense of speed especially in low roof or tunnel areas of the ride. This allows for slower coasters and shorter tracks to be used while still delivering on demands for high levels of rider thrill. The coasters provide passengers with new and interesting view points of the show and ride environment. Test passengers commented on seeing things in the old and existing coaster attraction that they had never seen before even though they had ridden the original coaster many, many times. The passenger POV and perspective on the ride set/environment (or “show”) was new and exciting and set pieces/structure may appear larger from the reclined perspective. The lift hill feels like a vertical lift since the combination of vehicle body/frame tilt and seat back horizontal position tilts the passenger even farther back, and this was found by the passengers to be fun and interesting. The roller coaster provides fun transitions between tight tunnels and low ceiling portions to portions of the track in which the nearby structure is more wide open and may have higher ceiling rooms or be outdoors. Overhangs or “bridged” were very surprising, exciting, and/or frightening to the test coaster passengers as they could not see them approaching, and twists, turns, and drops had a heightened sense of thrill since the rider was unprepared for the dynamic experience.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
Q-man
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by N365PA View Post
Some sort of Bobsled of Luge coaster couldbe fun with this idea. I cant for the life of me tie this in to any disney movie or attraction (other than the Matterhorn).

Clint
Cool Runnings(Jamaican bobsled team) is an early 90's Disney movie. Can't wait for the Reggae theme.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

Space Mountain

Make these for Space Mountain, Please!

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardLarz View Post
Make these for Space Mountain, Please!
The patent actually talks about this in the context of a way to "refresh" an existing coaster to make it a fresh experience for riders. Space Mountain would be a perfect use for this since there is not much to see anyway when you are riding it so the reclining position would work well.

Of course just because there is a patent, doesn't mean there are any actual plans to use the idea.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

... Monster's Inc. Coaster ... anyone?

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

1) When I consulted at Arrow Dynamics, they were working on this. *
2) When they went bankrupt, S&S bought them.
3) I wonder if they dropped the idea, or Disney bought it?

* Arrow Dynamics designed and built coasters. I worked on coasters
for Cedar Point, Knotts Berry Farm and Six Flags. In fact, Arrow built the
DLR Matterhorn ride
!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

I like the idea of something that feel substantially more thrilling without actually being too scary for the non-thrill riders amongst us. Wonder if it will affect those who deal with motion sickness (like my DH).

Sounds like costs would be lowered too if they could get away with a shorter track.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: