Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #61
ededmd
Mouseketeer

FJS961:

Have sailed in the Haven on the Jewel in a 2BR suite.
Would be unlikely to sail NCL if not in a suite but The Suite Life was quite nice.

The one exception to advance specialty reservation necessity is Teppanyaki.
If you want that one, book it sooner rather than later as it is the one restaurant with a "hard stop" capacity.

Agree with PP regarding bread pudding (eaten before I realized my wheat allergy - and the one thing I will truly miss when I return to NCL) and the wings in Blue Lagoon being good. The dessert crepes in the buffet were decent too.
ededmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #62
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ededmd
FJS961:

Have sailed in the Haven on the Jewel in a 2BR suite.
Would be unlikely to sail NCL if not in a suite but The Suite Life was quite nice.

The one exception to advance specialty reservation necessity is Teppanyaki.
If you want that one, book it sooner rather than later as it is the one restaurant with a "hard stop" capacity.

Agree with PP regarding bread pudding (eaten before I realized my wheat allergy - and the one thing I will truly miss when I return to NCL) and the wings in Blue Lagoon being good. The dessert crepes in the buffet were decent too.
Thanks for the tip. It makes sense about the Teppanyaki one with its limited capacity.

I don't plan on doing more NCL after these. I just want to do the Hawaii island hopping cruise and do a Bermuda cruise on a new ship, with style.

We will return to the Fantasy in 2014 and any other cruise plans are undecided.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #63
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
I don't mind paying in advance and I agree it is a nice system that provides fair access to things on a first come basis. The thing I don't like is that you can't apply an onboard credit to it. Excerpt from the email they sent me ... "The on-board credit can be used for any purchases made on-board with the exception of surcharges, therefore any reservations/purchases prior to the sailing, the on-board credit would not apply." That is actually what disappointed me.
Billing with NCL on our last cruise was a nightmare. We pre-booked an excursion, changed our minds a couple of days later and cancelled, and wound up having to file a dispute with our credit card company to get the refund back. The cruise was in September. The dispute won't close until March 10th. Not the fondest of memories...

I was also really disappointed at how restrictive their onboard credit policies were. You can't use it for the service charge, you can't use it for pre-booked excursions or meals, and (fun fact) it doesn't apply for the onboard medical center either. You can pretty much drink it or buy trinkets.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #64
dizzi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
A complete turnover of the ship every three to four days IS more work than doing it once every seven days. It's more work for housekeeping, granted, than it is for servers, but the servers have to try to remember the preferences of twice as many people in one week than those who work the longer cruises, so it totally makes sense that they might not remember I prefer lemon in my water. And I don't expect them to. I don't expect our local sandwich shop to remember my "usual", and we're friends with the owners. It's just not a big deal, when they see so many people in a week. I try hard not to base my cruise experience on something that trivial.
I think the thread is about disapointments.....,

The above sentence should be enough said, ......BUT.....

I never said i wanted my server to remember what i wanted to drink, just use her eyes to see, my drink was empty. I aso didnt say i based my cruise experiece on this or any other trivial thing.....

ALTHOUGH, the service on a cruise ship is a LARGE part of why i take a cruise, being in the service industry, I like to go on vacation and be waited on. it is just what i like. On the 3 day cruise, DH and i only got off the ship on their private island (which is beautiful) an for about and hour in Nassua, other than that, Service and relaxing was my min goal.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #65
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlieq View Post
Billing with NCL on our last cruise was a nightmare. We pre-booked an excursion, changed our minds a couple of days later and cancelled, and wound up having to file a dispute with our credit card company to get the refund back. The cruise was in September. The dispute won't close until March 10th. Not the fondest of memories...

I was also really disappointed at how restrictive their onboard credit policies were. You can't use it for the service charge, you can't use it for pre-booked excursions or meals, and (fun fact) it doesn't apply for the onboard medical center either. You can pretty much drink it or buy trinkets.
Yikes! I like how DCL lets you use your OBC towards anything in your onboard account, including tips, adult dining, shop purchases, excursions including cabana ... Looking back at the email NCL sent me, it said "surcharges" were not eligible to apply OBC ... define 'surcharges'
Old 03-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #66
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yikes! I like how DCL lets you use your OBC towards anything in your onboard account, including tips, adult dining, shop purchases, excursions including cabana ... Looking back at the email NCL sent me, it said "surcharges" were not eligible to apply OBC ... define 'surcharges'
I've never cruised NCL so I won't be much help here but I'm having some of the same issues with my upcoming cruise on Celebrity. I've got a small OBC (only $75) but couldn't use it for specialty dining booked in advance. I don't typically take ship excursions....BUT our flight leaves FLL pretty late in the day and we'd be bored as all get out if we had to sit around all day waiting for it. Celebrity has a "shore excursion" after debarkation. They take our luggage, we get to go on an airboat ride through the Everglades, then later they drop us and our luggage off at the airport. So, there goes my $75 bucks.

Maybe NCL has something like that you could do. I know that Celebrity even has luggage valet service (I think it's $20 each) and if NCL has that, you could spend some of your money on it. Also, how about laundry services? Flying to Hawaii with a ton of clothes would be expensive, have them wash them for you instead.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #67
FJS961
DIS Veteran

I wound up having no trouble burning through my $450 OBC on the POA. Between chefs table, spa, Cagney dinners ... it was gone
Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #68
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

. . . Between chefs table, spa, Cagney dinners ... it was gone
Hopefully you enjoyed them.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #69
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Hopefully you enjoyed them.

Woody
We did. Chefs table was a good value at $89. It included 9 courses, wine pairing, professional photos of the entire group with the chef and one as a couple, signed menu. There was no 'bill' at end and no expectation of extra gratuity. My only criticism is that the portions got large as meal went on. They served what seemed like a 4 lb piece of sea bass and then a huge veal chop bone in for entree courses. It was a shame that all the guests barely touched them, delicious, but way too much in that setting. I also would have preferred it being just my wife and I at a table instead of a 12 top. No rose at end. The wines were better at Remy. Bottom line is I prefer Remy - still the BEST meal at sea.

Cagneys was very nice - awesome breakfasts but the quality and freshness dipped as the week went on. Dinner there was great both first and last night though. I finished with a gorgeous filet, double cut lamb chop and add on 6oz lobster tail. Back to my diet now!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: