Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Aristocath
DIS Veteran

Have you heard of Adestinn?

So my husband's company, a very large organization, has offered employees a perk of joining Adestinn. It is a vacation savings plan that has a 50% savings match. So if you contribute $100, they match it with $50. Then you can use your savings at a number of large hotels worldwide. They offer the Hilton in Downtown Disney, for example.

I've done some research to see how this has worked for people but reviews are hard to find. Looking for anyone who has heard of this program or has experience with it. Thanks!
Aristocath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Aristocath
DIS Veteran

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Reminds me of a "Ponzi scheme". That is just my gut reaction. Matching 50 to 100 sounds too good to be true to me, but I am a skeptic.

Can you call hotels listed, like Hilton at Downtown Disney?

I think I would go to the source, meaning hotels you want to stay at to see the what they say about the program.

I would fear there would be blackout dates and limited # of rooms available for people with this program.

In addition you might not be able to take advantage of other offers in conjunction with this program.

Anyway, that is JM2C. Happy Researching!!!!
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Aristocath
DIS Veteran

Yes, it's one of those things that sounds too good to be true! It is actually my husbands company that matches the funds so that is what makes us interested. There are no black out dates but we wonder if we will truly get the best available rate or if we pay amped up prices. I'll keep looking for reviews but thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristocath View Post
Yes, it's one of those things that sounds too good to be true! It is actually my husbands company that matches the funds ......
If it's your husbands company matching the money, why wouldn't they cut out the middleman and just write you a check?

Going thru another company to do this must cost them more.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Disneyforus
Lover of all things Disney

The Hospital I work for uses this program as well. I am thinking of using it. I am understanding that it is just a travel corporation that provides travel options for business' employees. I found a review that said, 100% legit. I will call our HR dept and find out for sure, but I did sign up just haven't added any funds yet. There are no blackout dates, and yes Double Tree Suites and a few other Downtown Hotels are listed. I can contribute !00/month and end up with $1800 at the end of the year...not bad. We have several other "perks plans" through my company so I just considered it another perk.
'75~Fort Wilderness '97~offsite HoneymoonMay'07~Orange LakeMay'08~Roesen Center & POP without Kids Jan'09~Caribbean BeachResort Nov'09~Fort Wilderness Sept'10~POFQ for Night of Joy, without kids April'11~Wyndham Bonnet Creek May'12~Wyndham Bonnet CreekAugust'13~Art of Animation
Disneyforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Disneyforus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristocath View Post
Yes, it's one of those things that sounds too good to be true! It is actually my husbands company that matches the funds so that is what makes us interested. There are no black out dates but we wonder if we will truly get the best available rate or if we pay amped up prices. I'll keep looking for reviews but thanks!
I signed up but haven't applied funds yet, and I can look at prices put in dates of travel etc...and the rates seem normal to me. Double Tree Suites 2 BR was $139/nt for August ???
'75~Fort Wilderness '97~offsite HoneymoonMay'07~Orange LakeMay'08~Roesen Center & POP without Kids Jan'09~Caribbean BeachResort Nov'09~Fort Wilderness Sept'10~POFQ for Night of Joy, without kids April'11~Wyndham Bonnet Creek May'12~Wyndham Bonnet CreekAugust'13~Art of Animation
Old 05-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #8
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

I think my concern would be that it would limit my options and that I'm very comfortable in being able to find really good deals on my own (such that I might save more than what was being added to the account). If someone is just going to book without any real "deal" searching on their own anyway though, it might be worthwhile.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
Disneyforus

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshowmom View Post
I think my concern would be that it would limit my options and that I'm very comfortable in being able to find really good deals on my own (such that I might save more than what was being added to the account). If someone is just going to book without any real "deal" searching on their own anyway though, it might be worthwhile.
That is very true...I'm a deal seeker, so not sure that I would be interested. The "match" part would have to be greater than what I could "save" finding my own deals on my own...if that makes any sense. It's still a kind of cool option, I love the idea in general.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Arlo
Earning My Ears

It's Legit, But.....

Despite what they tell you, your employer does not really match your funds.
Here's how it really works:

Your employer signs a contract with Adestinn. Your employer sells you on this new great benefit, as if they were paying money out of their pocket so you can take a vacation. Really? Wouldn't you rather they match your medical plan?

Adestinn acquires the hotel rooms at a 50% discount off the hotels Best Available Rate. This is the rate the hotels quote when guests need flexibility with cancellation and do not wish to pre-pay and do not qualify for discounts such as AAA, Senior, or Military Discounts.

You book through Adestinn, not the hotel. You can only book one rate for whatever room-type you need. You cannot book packages, discounts such as those outlined earlier, or anything other than the prevailing unrestricted rates at that hotel. Adestinn takes the money (some real, the rest Monoply Money) directly from your account and pays the hotel. For every two rooms Adestinn books and pays for, they get one free from the hotel. They then sell that free room to the next guest and pockets 100% of the money.

It's a scam in that your employer looks like the good guy by "matching" your contributions when it's actually the hotel footing half of the bill. Also, you cannot use it at just any hotel. The hotel must be signed up with Adestinn, so that will limit your choices in any given city.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Alice R
Earning My Ears

Who cares?

What does it matter what an employer pays? As Disneyforus said above, the room prices are the same as the best price on the hotel's own website and there are no blackout dates plus a 50% match. I doubt it is as easy on an employer as Arlo suggests. If it were, it is such a great benefit, why wouldn't every employer offer it? I wish my employer offered it.
Alice R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
buckeye02
Earning My Ears

Polar Vortex

Itís legit offered through my employer. Iím signing up now. I didnít know anything about it before but I have a coworker who used this last month to go to FL. The match money meant that they had much more money for the hotel (it doesnít work for airfare). She said that they checked other sites for the hotels rates and this had the same amount per night. So with the match money they could stay more nights than otherwise. Wish Iíd started this last year...could use a warm weather vacation now with how crazy this winter is now.

My 401k where my employer matches $1 on the $1 is really the same concept. Def wouldnít call that a ponzi scheme!

Would I rather have the company give me a check? Sure, who doesnít want a pay raise? But Iíd just spend that on groceries, gas etc. and not use it for vacation. This way I have a savings account just for the trip. Plus they put money in for medical already so this is another benefit.

Last summers vacation I put it all on a credit card. Found a good deal on a hotel then but Iím probably still paying that off (other charges on card too!). With this benefit I can save for a trip before I go instead of paying higher credit card interest rates long after I get home. Seems like no brainer.
buckeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

I'm always curious about zombie threads that get attention from brand new posters. Doesn't inspire confidence in me for recommendations offered.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
RobDavisMN
Earning My Ears

Adestinn & Blue Cross

People interested in this topic would benefit from searching for these stories --
  1. St. Paul benefits tech startup Adestinn partners with BCBS-MN
    .tech.mn/news/2014/05/08/adestinn-partners-with-bcbs-mn
  2. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Encourages Well-Being with Accelerated Vacation Savings Plan
    .bluecrossmn.com/Page/mn/en_US/newsroom-landing-page/News/adestinn-accelerated-vacation-savings-plan-news-release

RobDavisMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
AnAmericanInDisney
Mouseketeer

Paid reputation defenders are so prevalent, anymore. I wonder if the employers get kick-backs in the form of executive trips or travel perks. I did find that BCBS MN and Adestinn are both members of some benefits society in MN, so that's where that relationship was probably established.

Your $.50 matching "credit" expires after three years or if you withdraw your vacation money.

You can google Adestinn membership agreement to see all the terms. I wouldn't do it. I like to control my own fate and wouldn't have faith that they would actually have the hotel I wanted in their inventory.
AnAmericanInDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: