Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

We tip, for the two of us, $5/day. Usually well deserved, but if I feel there is a problem I'll complain rather than not tip beacuse I learned a long time ago that not tipping never solves a real issue or problem.

Have a great time!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp911 View Post
I always thought it was a non tipped position but read an article this morning that listed tipping by country and in America it is listed as customary to tip them. And I have been over tipping taxi drivers, they say 10% and I tip 20%
I hardly think that 30% of folks tipping would make something customary

ttp://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-24/travel/hotel.housekeeping.tipping_1_housekeeping-manager-hotel-guests-emily-post-institute?_s=PM:TRAVEL

Not trying to argue, just stating what I've read as well.

To each their own, though.

I also don't leave my room a mess- all trash is bagged in the garbage (if its a hotel without bin liners I provide my own), all towels are bundled in the shower, and we wipe down all surfaces with Clorox wipes every other day.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
lbv7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
I hardly think that 30% of folks tipping would make something customary

ttp://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-24/travel/hotel.housekeeping.tipping_1_housekeeping-manager-hotel-guests-emily-post-institute?_s=PM:TRAVEL

Not trying to argue, just stating what I've read as well.

To each their own, though.

I also don't leave my room a mess- all trash is bagged in the garbage (if its a hotel without bin liners I provide my own), all towels are bundled in the shower, and we wipe down all surfaces with Clorox wipes every other day.
If you Google "is it customary to tip housekeepers", you will find the first two pages full of articles saying that yes, you do tip housekeepers. I would take the 30% number with a grain of salt. So, as you said, each to his own, and if you search the internet enough I am sure there will be plently of articles saying that you don't need to tip. For what it's worth, here is an article from Travel & Leisure, the Amex magazine on tipping:

Housekeeping and maid service: For hotel housekeeping and maid service, it is customary to tip $2-3 per night. It is customary to tip up to $5 in high-end hotels, or f there are more than 3 people in a room or suite. Leave them on your pillow with a note that says "thank you" so housekeeping knows the money is intended for them. If you have additional items delivered to your room, such as extra pillows, hangers, luggage racks, tip the person who brings them $2 or $3.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/505658
Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
schaefera
Earning My Ears

Thank you all very much. $5 a day is what I had been thinking, so it was nice to hear that same amount from many of you. I like the decorated envelope idea as well. Helps keep track of things!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #20
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Some say it is a non tipped position, yes. But I don't think they make all that much $, and may be a single mom, etc. so I do tip, a small amount each day, and as you say, it is customary in the U.S. and when traveling we follow the customs of the country we are in. It's customary in Canada too.
It is a non-tipped, union position. There's no need to tip them; they do quite do well on their own.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #21
aml3679
Kita's Mom

It is customary to tip housekeepers in the United States. Disney Housekeepers are no different. We leave between $5 and $10 each day for 2 of us. If you don't want to tip or feel like you should, the don't. Also, there have been enough treads on this subject not to get into a big debate. We appreciate good service and feel that the amount we leave is a little extra to say we appreciate it.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #22
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

There's no need for any individual to take a trip to Walt Disney World. It does quite well on its own. But people go. I don't think there's any criticism over not tipping hotel housekeepers.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

RE: TIPPING RESORT ROOM MAIDS

1) We do not leave tips at WDW for housekeeping.
. . . under normal circumstances and conditions
. . . changing towels, makig beds, cleaning bathroom, straightening, re-stocking
. . . but, if we REALLY mess up the room, that is a different matter
. . . for creating mega-maid-work, I would leave a couple of bucks that day
2) At most hotels, maids are poorly paid.
3) At WDW, the maids are paid well, and in a NON-TIPPED job classification.
4) In fact, they are paid more than many other WDW jobs.
5) WDW maids (per union contract) can
. . . make up to $13.48/hr
. . . leave 45-minutes early and be paid for it
. . . make up to $1.00/hr in Flex bonus
. . . make up to $22.00/room incentive pay
. . . make up to $35.00/room incentive pay for DVC rooms
. . . work very desirable schedules versus other CM's

NOTE: The whole idea of Walt is that everyone gets treated the same,
whether they can afford to tip or not. Plus, he did not want people to have
to tip everywhere they went or for every service they received.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #24
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
It is a non-tipped, union position. There's no need to tip them; they do quite do well on their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
RE: TIPPING RESORT ROOM MAIDS

1) We do not leave tips at WDW for housekeeping.
. . . under normal circumstances and conditions
. . . changing towels, makig beds, cleaning bathroom, straightening, re-stocking
. . . but, if we REALLY mess up the room, that is a different matter
. . . for creating mega-maid-work, I would leave a couple of bucks that day
2) At most hotels, maids are poorly paid.
3) At WDW, the maids are paid well, and in a NON-TIPPED job classification.
4) In fact, they are paid more than many other WDW jobs.
5) WDW maids (per union contract) can
. . . make up to $13.48/hr
. . . leave 45-minutes early and be paid for it
. . . make up to $1.00/hr in Flex bonus
. . . make up to $22.00/room incentive pay
. . . make up to $35.00/room incentive pay for DVC rooms
. . . work very desirable schedules versus other CM's

NOTE: The whole idea of Walt is that everyone gets treated the same,
whether they can afford to tip or not. Plus, he did not want people to have
to tip everywhere they went or for every service they received.
Absolutely agree!!! I just checked the employment opportunities for WDW...part time housekeepers make $8.50 to start. Is that a huge amount? No. But, there are many other positions at WDW that get paid a lot less. Lifeguards, for instance. Or those working the watercraft.
Do I tip? Sometimes. Disney tells us, up front if asked, that housekeeping is not considered a tippable position at WDW. Housekeepers here are paid at a higher rate than a lot of other places.

And the argument that if you don't tip, you are going to get crappy service?? I have to tell you that if that happens to me, I am going right to the front desk, looking for a manager and reporting it. I don't leave a messy room...there is little trash, the beds are usually made, the vanity area is neat and wiped down. So basically? All that has to be done is trash emptied, fresh towels/toiletries brought in. And if they want...a swipe of the bathroom area. Shouldn't take more than 15 mins.
But, I have been told my room is ready, and when I tried to enter the room, found the door locked, with a sign on it saying it is being serviced?? So, then used room key and entered, only to find the housekeeper sitting there, watching tv?? And she tells us that she is just hanging around for a bit until her shift is over?? And we find trash on the floor and the toilet is broken??? Ah, no.
Or the time it took until 4:30 for our room to be freshened. I left at 7:30am, and when we returned at 3, found the room still untouched. And the housekeeping cart was 4 doors down from us. So, went off to eat something, only to return an hour later with the cart moved one door!!! We sat, down below and watched our housekeeper amble around....took her close to 30 mins in each room. Then? the shift ended and someone else moved in to pick up where the first one left off....my room!!!

Now? I usually just hang the 'privacy please' sign out on the door. That way, no housekeeping is going into my room. They usually just leave a bag of clean towels and toiletries by the door. And that's just fine with me!!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #25
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Maids are well-paid at Disney. We do not tip them.

We still get towel animals, soap, towels, shampoo, etc.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #26
dansamy
DIS Veteran

We're DVC & usually only stay 4-5 nights. So we usually only get a trash & towel day. This last trip, they literally only pulled the trash cans & put out fresh towels. No restock, nothing. I'm not tipping for that.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #27
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

I tip housekeeping $4-$5 a day. I do that because I know my kids can make a mess. So I feel they deserve a little extra. I also appreciate all the extra touches like towel animals and how they arrange my kids toys (kids love that). That said I don't think it's something that everyone needs to do. I don't tip when it's just me on a business trip somewhere.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #28
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
We're DVC & usually only stay 4-5 nights. So we usually only get a trash & towel day. This last trip, they literally only pulled the trash cans & put out fresh towels. No restock, nothing. I'm not tipping for that.
That's pretty much how we feel. Now, I have seen some rooms that they have had to clean...and it was pretty horrifying!! I can't imagine what kind of people stayed in some of those rooms!! So, I can only imagine that it took a good hour or so to put each villa back to rights. But, villa housekeeping is vastly different than regular non-villa housekeeping.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #29
dalayney
Mouseketeer

During college, I worked for a super 8 for about 6 months. Housekeeping is a tough job. You have so many minutes to clean a room, etc. Heck yes I tip. $5/day and then I leave $10 the last day, as a room change over is alot more work. Our room at all star sports was spotless, and the everyday cleaning was impeccable.

January 2005 offsite
January 2007 ALL STAR MOVIES
Febuary/March 2013 ALL STAR SPORTS
Planning our first ever "no kids" WDW trip December 2015~
Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #30
SA mom
DIS Veteran

My grandmother worked housekeeping for many years. You better believe we tip. It may be union work, but it still isn't great pay.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: