Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Keyser
Mouseketeer

Grand Cayman - visiting Seven Mile Beach on own

For our cruise to Grand Cayman, we are probably going to spend the day at Grand Cayman just visiting 7 mile beach. I understand it's easy enough to get to on our own via taxi (plus, the excursions are all booked), but with a beach that long, I'm at a loss as to where we should plan to go along the beach. Is there a better/worse part of the beach to go to, or is it all basically the same?

Some things we'd be looking for:
- Access to restrooms, showers
- Places reasonably close to get food
- Being able to rent chairs and an umbrella might be good...
- We'd prefer sandy-bottom in the water rather than rocky, if it matters
- If there are any areas that have additional activities good for kids (at reasonable cost - our kids are 11 and 4), we might be interested in that
- There will be lots of other cruise ships in port that day. I know we will have crowds, but I'm hoping to avoid massive crowding.

Is there any particular part of the beach we should aim to go to (or stay away from)?
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Snurk71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser
For our cruise to Grand Cayman, we are probably going to spend the day at Grand Cayman just visiting 7 mile beach. I understand it's easy enough to get to on our own via taxi (plus, the excursions are all booked), but with a beach that long, I'm at a loss as to where we should plan to go along the beach. Is there a better/worse part of the beach to go to, or is it all basically the same?

Some things we'd be looking for:
- Access to restrooms, showers
- Places reasonably close to get food
- Being able to rent chairs and an umbrella might be good...
- We'd prefer sandy-bottom in the water rather than rocky, if it matters
- If there are any areas that have additional activities good for kids (at reasonable cost - our kids are 11 and 4), we might be interested in that
- There will be lots of other cruise ships in port that day. I know we will have crowds, but I'm hoping to avoid massive crowding.

Is there any particular part of the beach we should aim to go to (or stay away from)?
I can't comment on a lot of your questions. But when we went to GC a few years ago our research said mid to north was more sand and the southern part was rockier. We stayed in a resort right in the middle.
Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer

In January we went to a section of 7 mile beach called sea grape beach. Definitely enjoyed the area. We had an outdoor bar/restaurant right by us, or they would come around and take orders at your chairs. We rented chairs and umbrellas. I believe for about $8 per chair/umbrella. The area was not rocky at all. We rented a couple of boogie boards for the kids to play in the water on. There were restrooms, but I believe only outside showers to rinse off in. The area we went to just had the restroom, no real changing facility. We just wore our suits under cover ups so we didn't bother changing at all.

Have a great time! Grand Cayman is beautiful!!
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
believinthemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Krazee4Disney
Earning My Ears

We were also there in January and it was great! Very easy to get to...just grab a taxi and its just a few minutes down the road.
We went to one of the free beaches where we had access to food, drinks, chairs, umbrellas, restrooms and showers!! The beach is very beautiful and the water is so clear. Swimming was great! You can also rent snorkel gear too! We had a awesome experience with great food, music and very friendly people!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
jal417
Earning My Ears

We were there last week and we just got in a cab and the driver told us about the beaches and how much they cost and what they had while he was driving us. The cab is really like a 15 passenger van and everyone in it got out at the free beach that had food, restrooms and chairs/umbrellas. But you could go to the ones that charge and have some inflatable things.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: