Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #1111
fanoftigger
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xera12

I just tried this, and it worked ok, however... The pennies kind of dull a bit and turn a weird sorta orangey color... And they smell bad... I mean, for kids its probably ok, but... Idk lol
Lol, I tried this trick this week too (from a pressed penny thread). But it said to shine them back up with a baking soda paste (just add a little water to make the paste). My old pennies came from a glass jug my dad forgot about in his storage bldg. they were nasty! The ketchup cleaned them up great and the baking soda paste helped get the shine back. Some are still dull, but I was getting lazy and tired.

I can't believe I'm admitting I put pennies in ketchup. Ha ha. It was kind of gross!
fanoftigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #1112
disneyboundickes
Earning My Ears

We are season pass holders and go often. My list is Getting smaller since I'm learning what is really needed and what is not.

So my must have is child shampoo

We didn't bring tear free shampoo on our first trip last year and it was the worst mistake... My DD got soap in her eyes and she still
Has a fear over getting her hair washed. If you don't want to bring extra shampoo, let them wear their goggles...

Love all the ideas.
On our way now
disneyboundickes is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #1113
pktbMouse
What you dont know is that each Mickey mouse hat you buy is a mind controlling device..this is how they get families to overspend on food and souvenirs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
If you forget your dish soap in a sponge, another alternative is to just use the shampoo & a washcloth to wash out the cups etc.

I have been bringing the power strip for years. Actually, I used to bring a power strip, now I bring a power squid. I found that with some of the chargers, the plug-in part was big, so it would block the next set of holes on the strip. With the power squid, the "arms" dangle off the end of the thing, so that no matter how big the plug is, it doesn't interfere with any of the other plug holes.
Wow where did you get your power squid from?? this is the first year I will be travelling with a Cpap machine and this would be perfect for me as the kids always want to plug in other electronic things too, the Cpap plug is on the chunky side so the squid would be perfect. I really didnt want to travel with 2 power strips if needed. thanks. Oh and any other tips on travelling with a Cpap would be most welcome, first time flying with it also. Thanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
pktbMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #1114
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktbMouse View Post
Wow where did you get your power squid from?? this is the first year I will be travelling with a Cpap machine and this would be perfect for me as the kids always want to plug in other electronic things too, the Cpap plug is on the chunky side so the squid would be perfect. I really didnt want to travel with 2 power strips if needed. thanks. Oh and any other tips on travelling with a Cpap would be most welcome, first time flying with it also. Thanks.
I got mine at either Staples or Office Max office supply store, near the computer stuff. I think I have seen them in Bed, Bath & Beyond too. I just googled "Power Squid" and came up with a lot of hits for them....Wal-Mart etc. I imagine even Home Depot or a hardware store might have them near the electrical stuff. I really like the power squid because then al plug-in stuff is in one spot and not in 5 plugs all around the room, so I feel like there's less of a chance of me forgetting one of the various chargers we have to bring.

CPAP travel- DH has had one for 5 years. It came with a case that's all padded to protect it for travel. If you don't have one I would recommend you google "CPAP travel case" and get one. We always carry it on. We NEVER put it in checked luggage. We always bring an extension cord because sometimes the outlet in a hotel room is not necessarily close to the bed. We also bring one of those over-the-door hooks because DH likes his tubing to go up and over the head board and if the headboard in a hotel room doesn't allow for getting behind it (some are bolted to the wall) then he hooks the hook on the head board and drapes the tubing over it.

When you go through security you have to open up the case and take out the motor part of it. They sometimes swab it for explosives or whatever they're looking for when they do that thing with the swab, but it hasn't been a huge issue. As time goes on, the TSA people are becoming more familiar with them. When DH first got it, invariably we'd get pulled out of line so they could go over it carefully. Now a lot of the time they just let it go through the x-ray machine and don't take a closer look, swab it or whatever...
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #1115
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellsphish View Post
Gold Bond powder. Always slap some on in the grundle area before heading into the parks. Helps stop the chaffing and keeps the entire area cool for an hour or so.
Hmmm...never heard it called "the grundle area" before!
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Wyndham Timeshare Owner & RCI Member since 1985
Mrs. Ciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #1116
DVCJones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Ciz

Hmmm...never heard it called "the grundle area" before!
Lol. We refer to it as the 'grundle' too.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #1117
BiancaBernard&Penny
Returning to "Earning My Ears" after all these years

When I used an umbrella stroller (MacLaren) I found that it would tip over backwards if DD got out while I had a bag hanging on the back. To counter act that weight I got a 5lb (I think... It was the lightest) soft ankle weight wrap and put it on the foot rest. It was enough weight to prevent the tipping but not too much weight to carry onto buses or up the flight of stairs to our room. I always kept it on. When I got home, I found it still came in handy.

CBR- Sept 1997
CBR- Sept 17-24, 2001
CSR- May 13-20, 2008 ptr- http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2166836

Debating on a trip this year with 4 year old "Penny" and a 12 year old, too!
BiancaBernard&Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #1118
tjmj9801
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiancaBernard&Penny
When I used an umbrella stroller (MacLaren) I found that it would tip over backwards if DD got out while I had a bag hanging on the back. To counter act that weight I got a 5lb (I think... It was the lightest) soft ankle weight wrap and put it on the foot rest. It was enough weight to prevent the tipping but not too much weight to carry onto buses or up the flight of stairs to our room. I always kept it on. When I got home, I found it still came in handy.
This is genius!!!! We've ways had this problem. Solved! Thank you!!
1/30/2011-2/6/2011-Saratoga Springs (First on-site stay!!)
Several previous trips (It's worth mentioning that I've become an on-site snob...)
tjmj9801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #1119
pktbMouse
What you dont know is that each Mickey mouse hat you buy is a mind controlling device..this is how they get families to overspend on food and souvenirs!

CPAP travel- DH has had one for 5 years. It came with a case that's all padded to protect it for travel. If you don't have one I would recommend you google "CPAP travel case" and get one. We always carry it on. We NEVER put it in checked luggage. We always bring an extension cord because sometimes the outlet in a hotel room is not necessarily close to the bed. We also bring one of those over-the-door hooks because DH likes his tubing to go up and over the head board and if the headboard in a hotel room doesn't allow for getting behind it (some are bolted to the wall) then he hooks the hook on the head board and drapes the tubing over it.

When you go through security you have to open up the case and take out the motor part of it. They sometimes swab it for explosives or whatever they're looking for when they do that thing with the swab, but it hasn't been a huge issue. As time goes on, the TSA people are becoming more familiar with them. When DH first got it, invariably we'd get pulled out of line so they could go over it carefully. Now a lot of the time they just let it go through the x-ray machine and don't take a closer look, swab it or whatever...[/QUOTE]

Thank you...can I just put it under the seat in front of me on the plane? also can I put the whole thing in a big ziplock bag? I dont like the idea of other people touching it. It did come in a black travel bag. ( its a resmed S9 autoset) I have only had it for 5 months so all still new to me. Would it be a good idea to take it all apart for travelling?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
pktbMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #1120
jenniy122
Mouseketeer

Thank you...can I just put it under the seat in front of me on the plane? also can I put the whole thing in a big ziplock bag? I dont like the idea of other people touching it. It did come in a black travel bag. ( its a resmed S9 autoset) I have only had it for 5 months so all still new to me. Would it be a good idea to take it all apart for travelling?[/QUOTE]

Under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin, same as any carryon. If the TSA needs to touch/swab it they'll be wearing gloves.
2011 - POP
2014 - POP

my blog

jenniy122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #1121
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniy122 View Post
Thank you...can I just put it under the seat in front of me on the plane? also can I put the whole thing in a big ziplock bag? I dont like the idea of other people touching it. It did come in a black travel bag. ( its a resmed S9 autoset) I have only had it for 5 months so all still new to me. Would it be a good idea to take it all apart for travelling?
Under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin, same as any carryon. If the TSA needs to touch/swab it they'll be wearing gloves.[/QUOTE]

You can put it under the seat or in the overhead...wherever you put a carryon. We usually put it in the overhead as the travel bag that DH's came in is very well padded so unless it really got slammed around it seems to be pretty safe & well protected. DH has to detach the water reservoir from the motor part to pack it in his bag, based on the way the bag is set up. It has 2 compartments...one to hold the motor part and one to hold the reservoir then the tubing fits into the reservoir section too. The mask has its own separate little bag and we attach that to the handle of the bag with a clip thing (carabiner I think it's called) or sometimes we'll throw the mask into the backpack that we usually also carry on. You can put it into a ziploc but if they want to sawab it they will remove it from the ziploc as they want to swab the machine itself and not a plastic bag. As jenny said, they are wearing gloves when they do this.

As I said, TSA seems to be becoming more familiar with them now so they do not feel the need to hand examine & swab it every time we travel. It still happens occasionally....I guess they have to do it randomly...but 5 years ago when we first got it, they would to pull us out of line every time, look at it, swab it, call other agents over to look at it etc. That NEVER happens anymore.

Sleep apnea seems to have become a focus of healthcare these past few years so I think it is being diagnosed more so more people have CPAPs.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #1122
RNMom1969
Earning My Ears

Funnel

My "not so normal" item is a collapsible funnel. We love our reusable mugs but would rather drink from our water bottles, but they are narrow mouthed. So to avoid spills, pop open the funnel and transfer with no spills
RNMom1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #1123
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I bring my body pillow from home. I have a very hard time sleeping without my body pillow. I have been using one since I was 14 and I am just so use to it. I toss and turn all night without it.

I fold it in half and stuff it into a big duffle bag and check it at the airport. If we drive (which I hope to never do again) we just put it in the backseat. Easy peasy.

I also travel with big 2 gallon ziplock bags so when it is time to go home I can repack all of our toiletries in them so there is no spills or leaks. On one trip I only use gallon size ziplock bags and one of my big bottles of shampoo busted open, the baggie popped open and shampoo got all over half my clothes and the inside of my suitcase. Now I pack them first ina gallon ziplock bag then into the 2 gallon ziplock bag. I have still had items bust open but they bust open inside the gallon ziplock and the mess stays contained. The baggage handlers are just so rough with luggage my stuff busts open almost every time. Last time they even pulled off the leather pull strap from the side of one of suitcases.

But I don't guess we travel with anything stranger than that.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #1124
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbpanda
Love this thread. I haven't got all the way through yet. I thought the packing cubes sound like a fab idea, but my DH just scoffed & said he isn't spending £££ (we r from UK) on bags to go in the bags! He just said I should wrap all the kids stuff in plastic bags if I want to keep it separate dde22. Oh well, more money to spend while we're there - although he has told me and DS that we can't buy loads of souvenirs that gather dust at home, but we'll ignore that. Lol!
Instead of using cubeS, I lay our clothes flat. I pack by the day... So day 1 wi have all 4 sets of clothing. The. Day 2 and so on. I get flustered when at Disney so to help me stay organized, I separate each day with. Sheet of paper marking day 1. Day 2, etc
Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #1125
Dragontears
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbpanda View Post
Love this thread. I haven't got all the way through yet. I thought the packing cubes sound like a fab idea, but my DH just scoffed & said he isn't spending £££ (we r from UK) on bags to go in the bags! He just said I should wrap all the kids stuff in plastic bags if I want to keep it separate ��. Oh well, more money to spend while we're there - although he has told me and DS that we can't buy loads of souvenirs that gather dust at home, but we'll ignore that. Lol!
Packing cubes have a lot of uses. I pack my undergarments in them. Then I just unzip the top and put them in the drawers. No unpacking

MY DH used to make fun of me until I took a Lysol wipe to the inside of a drawer (in a delux hotel) and he saw how dirty it got. UCK!!! Now he wants his undies "cubed" too.

No matter how clean the room is, the maids do not clean the inside of drawers on a regular basis. People put all kinds of things in them, including shoes and bags that have been on the ground or the floor. Many women stash their handbags in a drawer when they go to the pool or to eat. And I have seen many a hand bag on a public bathroom floor.

NOT with MY underwear thank you.

They (usually) keep TSA out of my undies too.

They are great for keeping clean clothes separate from the dirty clothes on the way home.

I use a small one to keep all the cords together in the luggage and in the room. Another one for "girl stuff" (have to keep those clean). It is so much easier to just have a cube unzipped in a drawer and just pull out what you need instead of fussing with a ziplock bag

When we flew to London for our DD's wedding, I put DH's dress shoes in a shoe cube along with his dress socks, cufflinks, the ring he wanted to wear and his tie (rolled up in a baggie and slipped inside a shoe. He was actually able to get dressed without me. (I was helping the bride)

When we go on a car trip, I pack enough clothes for in the morning in one and do not have to take in a big bag every night.

When we get home, I fill them with all the little things that you can never find the next time you take a trip. It's all in one place - that way I can find what I need - and it even keeps me from forgetting things.

I keep finding more uses for them.

You could even use them to pad some of those souvenirs for the trip home.

Hope you have a great time.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. what a ride!'

Dragontears is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: