Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
WebmasterLeah

DISboards Moderator

new blog: Disney MagicBand Styles Begin to Surface

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/03/02/d...in-to-surface/

WebmasterLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

OK, those are pretty damn cute.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

My big question: If we purchased a more expensive band, would we be able to re-use it the next trip? Seems like you would, but I'd want to know that first.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #4
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Yes, the bands will be re-usable. You will even be able to own more than one, although only one of them can be your 'active' band at any given time (you will be able to change the currently active band for yourself via My Disney Experience). I've heard they are meant to last for two years, but I have no idea why that time limit (unless there's more inside there than just an RFID chip? A battery for something?).

When you check in at a resort (assuming you've pre-registered via My Disney Experience) a rather neat little presentation box will have been delivered to the front desk the night before, containing all of your MagicBands for the room, pre-packed and name-printed for each family member. Each person can choose in advance from the basic set of colour choices.

Apparently in the future, it will even be possible for US-based guests to have their MagicBands posted out to them in advance, potentially at some stage allowing guests to skip regular resort checkin completely and head straight to their room (which would be notified to them as ready by text or email).

If you don't pre-register, the resort can still program up a generic band for you at the front desk, but I'm guessing it will just be a plain grey unprinted one.

I rather suspect Disney would really like these things to turn into the next Vinylmation-style craze, so expect a lot of purchasable options in the future.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

The first image came from the FCC filing, and appears to simply be a mockup, use to show how the required information will be presented.

The second image was also an early version. They look extremely stiff in that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Yes, the bands will be re-usable. You will even be able to own more than one, although only one of them can be your 'active' band at any given time (you will be able to change the currently active band for yourself via My Disney Experience). I've heard they are meant to last for two years, but I have no idea why that time limit (unless there's more inside there than just an RFID chip? A battery for something?).
Yes, they have a non-replaceable battery embedded within the plastic, which powers a short-range transmitter. This is reportedly meant to enable some experiences that need to be triggered at a longer range than typical RFID use (which is generally less than a meter and usually much less), and thus they have a limited life at least in that regard. I hadn't heard an expected lifetime before though.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
The first image came from the FCC filing, and appears to simply be a mockup, use to show how the required information will be presented.

The second image was also an early version. They look extremely stiff in that one.

Yes, they have a non-replaceable battery embedded within the plastic, which powers a short-range transmitter. This is reportedly meant to enable some experiences that need to be triggered at a longer range than typical RFID use (which is generally less than a meter and usually much less), and thus they have a limited life at least in that regard. I hadn't heard an expected lifetime before though.
Ok, I couldn't figure out why on earth they would need a battery. That makes sense, but too bad you couldn't replace the battery. That would limit me in how much I spent on a band. I might spend a little extra to get princess band for example, but I wouldn't get a Dooney and Burke one. Especially for people who only go every year or every few years. It wouldn't make sense.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: